Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.
View Poll Results: How do you perceive the term "hypermiler?"
I perceive it as positive
65.22%
I perceive it as negative
11.59%
I perceive it as neither positive nor negative
23.19%
I can not answer because I do not know what 'hypermiler' means.
0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

"Hypermiler" - Negative perceptions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Hypermiler" - Negative perceptions?

Originally Posted by abowles
Anyway, one benefit of hypermiling I get is a more relaxed arrival at my destination. I no longer need to take 10-15 minutes to calm down. I look forward to seeing what you achieve with your TCH.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. On days where I am happy with my mpg (40+), I am not as wound up as well. Yes, it takes me a little longer to get where I am going, but I'm starting to see the benefits. Less stress, and a higher mpg!

Good all around. With the help of the posters on this board, I think I'll get there, and be at a point where I can feel comfortable posting my mileage.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by finbib
Certain Finger Gesture
Thanks.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

One other positive thing to look forward to finbib is the coming Spring warmup for your area. You should see a noticeable improvement in mpg as the temperature gets to and stays in the 50-70 degree range.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:53 PM
G.H. Contributor
Smile Re: "Hypermiler" - Negative perceptions?

Originally Posted by snowdog650
I want my vote back.

I originally said that for me -- a newbie -- the term was "neither positive nor negative."

After reading this thread, I would like to change that vote to "negative."

I bought my Prius because I'm a cheap bastard who is tired of paying $3.50 for gas in CA. In less than 800 miles, I am averaging ~52MPG in mostly highway driving.

I just can't get into the rhetoric and arguement over such mundane things. My day is consumed by far more important matters.

Sorry, I know I just offended every single person within this universe ...
Oh I would not go as far as saying "Everyone". I happen to agree with you to some degree. I have a life to live and I have No intention to let myself be consumed by FE/MPG (Fuel Economy/Miles Per Gallon). I own a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid and it gets 40 MPG with no effort on my part to speak of. I'm happy with that. Car does just great and it is a long ways away from a SUV that gets say 13-16 MPG.

Have a nice day.

Terry (tiger)

Old 04-13-2007, 10:20 PM

I have a life to live and I am not consumed by my MPG.

But when I have to get to work I could get there in 23 minutes driving like everyone else, or in 30 minutes and save gas and money and lower my stress level.

You are entitled to your opinion but I don't understand how this is negative, unless you, like many, feel that being different is negative and threatening.

People vary.
Live and let live.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Stress Level....

I've changed driving styles many times over the years. I started out driving very fast and this was stressful because I tended not to allow any extra time for any delays. It was fun to drift a rear wheel drive car sideways and fun to have an excuse to drive fast because I was running late but it was stressful at the same time.

As I aged I gradually became more interested in MPG and started down a long hypermile path. As time went on I got more and more into it and at some point I crossed a line. Hypermiling had started out as fun but it somehow became stressful. Something as minor as getting caught by a red light would ruin my mood. I also became a bit of a nuisance in traffic.

Recently I made a huge change in driving style. The latest method is to drive as "normal" as possible. This method is the least stressful (for me anyways). Both the "too fast" and the "too slow" methods cause you to be out of sync with the traffic flow.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by lakedude
Stress Level....

I've changed driving styles many times over the years. I started out driving very fast and this was stressful because I tended not to allow any extra time for any delays. It was fun to drift a rear wheel drive car sideways and fun to have an excuse to drive fast because I was running late but it was stressful at the same time.

As I aged I gradually became more interested in MPG and started down a long hypermile path. As time went on I got more and more into it and at some point I crossed a line. Hypermiling had started out as fun but it somehow became stressful. Something as minor as getting caught by a red light would ruin my mood. I also became a bit of a nuisance in traffic.

Recently I made a huge change in driving style. The latest method is to drive as "normal" as possible. This method is the least stressful (for me anyways). Both the "too fast" and the "too slow" methods cause you to be out of sync with the traffic flow.
Good point.
We all have to find our own comfort zone.

Drive and let drive!

Old 04-15-2007, 10:17 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: "Hypermiler" - Negative perceptions?

Originally Posted by lakedude
Stress Level....

Hi Lakedude,

Man you have a way with words. IMO, you are right on "Target". I was attempting to do some of the Hypermiling Things and found in the end all it was doing for the most part was driving me more Crazy. Not to mention the traffic flow around me. Hard-Looks, Horn-Blowing, Etc. from the other drivers trying to get to where they were going. One could go on and on and on but I think we know exactly what we are saying.

I now drive my 06 HCH II in a normal manner with traffic flow. No anything from other drivers and the flow of traffic is as smooth as possible for the conditions at hand. Life is much better and my Nerves and Attitude are just Fine.

The little difference in FE/MPG to me is just not worth all the additional worries and Headache. But this is just me and I say as always if you want to do the Hypermiler thing, then have at it. Personally I will just take the 38-41 MPG I now get on a daily basis with my HCH II and enjoy life and hopefully not Anger the other Commuters around me as in the past.

Nice Post Lakdude:

Terry (tiger)

Old 04-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Thanks Kenny/tiger

This is all kinda funny because years ago someone suggested that hypermiling was a bad thing for the overall hybrid image. It has been too long to remember the who/where/when but the idea was that going too slow in traffic was giving hybrids a black eye in the view of the general public. At the time I was just getting into hypermiling and didn't really think the person had much of a point. Looking back I wish I could remember so I could apologize and give credit to the person who originally made the post.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Banned

Hypermiling techniques can be used going with the flow. For instance, in hilly country, a forced autostop can be used going downhill without looking noticable. Getting to cruise speed and avoiding a lot of acclerations/brakings also helps.

In other words, you can be going as fast as most of the other drivers, yet save some gas with some hypermiling techinques.

Quick Reply: "Hypermiler" - Negative perceptions?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands