Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   made my goal: 50mpg for the winter (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/made-my-goal-50mpg-winter-6488/)

laurie 03-22-2006 07:45 PM

made my goal: 50mpg for the winter

whew, last fall i set my goal to maintain at least 50MPG over the winter, and as we finally see spring coming, i did it. i think my last fill my average was 50.4.

now that it's warming up a little, i am seeing consistent 50+ on my display, and i am still driving with my noisy old snow tires.

i am having knee replacement surgery in two weeks, which will slow down my driving for several weeks, and by then i can pretty safely get my LRR tires back on (hopefully no more snow by mid april, but with minnesota, ya never know)........

so, just tooting my own horn a little :)

lakedude 03-22-2006 08:02 PM

Re: made my goal: 50mpg for the winter

NIce job. My mileage takes a serious dive when it is cold and/or rainy. Minnesota isn't the warmest place, I'm surprised you can even beat the EPA combined score. Good job!

nbalthaser 03-22-2006 08:24 PM

you're an inspiration. care to share your technique?

foo monkey 03-22-2006 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by laurie
i am having knee replacement surgery in two weeks, which will slow down my driving for several weeks...

Slowing down your driving will inprove your MPG.

/got nothing.

gonavy 03-23-2006 04:26 AM

you ROCK. At best, I was able to hold the line at 35 in my HAH. And my winter ain't jack compared to yours!

brick 03-23-2006 04:34 AM

You think you couldn't keep up, try it without IMA or HSD! I broke 30mpg twice, maybe three times? 50mpg is unreal in any car under those conditions. Oh, how welcome the spring is. :)

laurie 03-23-2006 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by nbalthaser
you're an inspiration. care to share your technique?

hmm.......i keep a really light foot on the gas, i generally always drive just below 60, with the exception of trips to minneapolis on the interstate where a person is forced to go faster just to survive......i rarely use cruise, i often take the backroads home where i can relax and use hypermiling techniques........

one thing i have found with minnesota winters, the technique i use to drive on snowy roads, unless of course i am trying to navigate snow that is higher than that low front end on my civic, is very similar to my summer hypermiling style.....light touch, slower speed.....and hey, a slippery road is the ultimate in low rolling resistance, right? :)

oh, one other thing......my "i love speed and power" hubby NEVER drives my car.

:)

toast64 03-23-2006 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by laurie
oh, one other thing......my "i love speed and power" hubby NEVER drives my car.

:)

lol, you really know how to control your environment!:)

Good luck with the knee surgery. While you're laid up you can spend that much more time surfing GreenHybrid, right?;)

basjoos 03-26-2006 03:11 PM

I've been able to average around 50mpg this winter (even without IMA or HSD) in my 92 Honda Civic hatchback. Now that the temps are starting their seasonal rise (combined with some mods I made on my car to reduce drag) my mpg's have risen into the 60's.