Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   Need'n tips on HOW to increase my milage without creating ROAD RAGE (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/needn-tips-how-increase-my-milage-without-creating-road-rage-9180/)

RickWorth 08-10-2006 10:52 AM

Need'n tips on HOW to increase my milage without creating ROAD RAGE

Do any of you HyperMilers cause road-rage via slow take-offs or substandard accellerations? I am not trying to be abrasive in my question. I have a Prius, and the only way I can see getting the kind of milage I read some of you tout would be to accellerate very slowly (using only the battery) and then somehow maintaining that "sweet-spot" in speed where the battery does the majority of the workload. This would mean often-times driving at a rate that would more than likely irritate everyone else on the road. In short, I need to find out your secrets...

Orcrone 08-10-2006 11:06 AM

Re: Need'n tips on HOW to increase my milage without creating ROAD RAGE

Originally Posted by RickWorth
Do any of you HyperMilers cause road-rage via slow take-offs or substandard accellerations? I am not trying to be abrasive in my question. I have a Prius, and the only way I can see getting the kind of milage I read some of you tout would be to accellerate very slowly (using only the battery) and then somehow maintaining that "sweet-spot" in speed where the battery does the majority of the workload. This would mean often-times driving at a rate that would more than likely irritate everyone else on the road. In short, I need to find out your secrets...

First of all accelerating slowly is not the best way to achieve good mileage. It uses up a fair level of charge propelling the car to speed. You're better off moderately accelerating using the ICE, taking your foot off the accelerator to allow the ICE to turn off and then gently reapply pressure to maintain your speed. No road rage there.

To answer your general question - I have no problem with driving at or slightly above the speed limit if someone is behind me on a two lane road. However, I won't drive more than a couple of miles under the speed limit as I don't want to be inconsiderate. On the highway there's generally no problem doing the limit if I keep it in the right lane. And if no one's behind me on a two lane road I drive as I please and accelerate to a reasonable speed if someone comes up behind me.

RickWorth 08-10-2006 11:16 AM

Thank you for the fast response. One thing I have noticed (and have been doing as of late) is that if I accellerate to just above the desired speed I want, then I take my foot off the accellerator untilt he battery takes over, then reapply slight pressure (just enough that the engine does NOT kick back in) and maintain the sweet spot. But even at that, I get 40mpg TOPs from my Prius in town. I think one of the pitfalls to my milage is that I live pretty close to work (5 mi) and my engine never really gets a chance to warm up... I am guessing though.

Delta Flyer 08-10-2006 11:38 AM

The thumbnail answer is try to avoid times of heavy traffic, take the rightmost lane on freeways, accomodating those that wish to pass, occasionally taking the access lane (instead of the HOV) when stop lights can be avoided.

nash 08-10-2006 12:05 PM

A 5 mile commute makes it tough to get excellent mileage. Your Prius should be warm after only a mile or so. They really do warm up quickly. Try to conserve momentum. Coasting up to lights helps, avoiding full stops also helps. If I approach a red light or stop sign, I lightly brake until I'm on battery. I also brake earlier, trying both to let the light turn green, and to avoid hard braking at the last moment. Check your tire pressures. Prius drivers have found 42 front, 40 rear to improve tire life, handling and mpg.

Hot_Georgia_2004 08-10-2006 02:51 PM

I've been hypermiling since Jan 2004 and the only time I ever saw road rage was the two days of SHEER HELL that I went through when I put a sticker on my rear bumper that said "I get 65MPG...You?" I removed that sticker and instantly back to normal.

Hypermiling and getting the most MPG out of a vehicle is a skill which needs to be developed out of application and time.
It's like a musical skill: A guitar performer has years upon years of practice and plays beautifully...while a novice picks up the same instrument and bangs out pure noise.

Start with the basics and use it moderately at first until you get used to it. All situations are different and takes experience to know what can be applied and where.
-Steve

njkayaker 08-10-2006 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
I've been hypermiling since Jan 2004 and the only time I ever saw road rage was the two days of SHEER HELL that I went through when I put a sticker on my rear bumper that said "I get 65MPG...You?" I removed that sticker and instantly back to normal.

Hah, funny! Defininely get rid of the "smug" stickers!

I'm not a hypermiler (yet) but I think part of what you need to do is to try to "communicate" what you are doing to the drivers behind you. I think part of the problem is that the other drivers are not used to people driving for MPG.

Additionally, try to let people pass you. Often, you can let people drive the way that they want to without (significantly) changing how you drive.

Personally, I haven't seen any road rage (maybe a bit of impatience) but then again I'm not driving a car that is as "loaded" as the Prius!

I am not trying to be abrasive in my question

Your question is reasonable and interesting (and it's not abrasive).

brick 08-10-2006 03:12 PM

In my case (non-hybrid) slow acceleration is key. I can honestly say that I have only "caused" (and that is the wrong term) road rage because of that once in six months of doing this. There have been a few other instances of road rage behind me because of my refusal to drive more than 5mph over the speed limit, or in some cases below the speed limit which I do only in such conditions where there is plenty of room to pass. So it does happen.

But honestly, a person who decides to make me the target of their abuse was going to do it to somebody else if not me. Their desire to operate their vehicle outside the bounds of the law (which is generally what initiates this kind of incident...I get in the way of their doing 10-15mph over the limit for all of ten seconds) that's not my problem. There's always a way around, or if they're truly stuck behind me I'll always drive at an even, more "normal" pace. I've even taken to pulling over for a few seconds at one particular point on the afternoon commute to let traffic by so that I can go my merry way without affecting them.

The biggest problem IMO is that road rage is contagious. He abuses me, I want to "get back," and that's the instinct that absolutely must be mastered. Otherwise it'll ruin your day. Control your emotions and you will see the situation for what it really is: you were the first guy (or gal) to get in the way, and you won't be the last to take the abuse. Not your fault. Just be courteous and moderate your hypermiling techniques when necessary, and take full advantage when the rear view is empty. Like Hot Georgia said, make the transition slowly and you will learn to manage your environment just fine.

If any good comes out of high gas prices, I hope it will be that folks learn to chill out and drive for fuel economy rather than hassling others for sport.

RickWorth 08-10-2006 03:57 PM

First of all, thanks to all who have added to this post. I am soaking it in like a sponge. Im not one to wish disparity upon others, but quite frankly, I wish gas would go to $8.00 a gallon. I know I know, it would be harsh on us all (hybrid owners less than others) however it is the ONLY THING that will EVER ween this world from their poison-spewing-freedom-machines. I take global warming very seriously, and that aside, I take the air I breath just as serious. If any of you have ever driven through Riverside Ca on a hot summer day, you KNOW exactly what Im talking about. The traffic is so extremely thick and very slow, the air is like breathing a brown powder, and... well... it just aint right. We MUST find a way to convince folks to drive less, or at very least cleaner. They say that even though folks are driving less, that our gasoline consumption is actually rising (there are MORE OF US on the road every day...) :( So... the hybrids are a start. It could/SHOULD be better... we should be on all electric by now... but it is all that we can get for now. On behalf of my family and I, Thank all of you who bought hybrids.

njkayaker 08-10-2006 04:00 PM

I wish gas would go to $8.00 a gallon. I know I know, it would be harsh on us all (hybrid owners less than others)

$8 a gallon gas would not do much to keep wealthy people from wasting it. It would, though, be a serious pain in the rear for poor people who can't really afford to go out and buy new (or expensive) hybrids.

I agree it should be better (ie, there should be more more efficient cars).

bwilson4web 08-10-2006 04:08 PM

Hi Rick,

Excellent question which I tried to address in the Prius FAQ but let's go over some options:

Your first trip of the day has these distinct phases:

1) warm-up - on the first trip in the morning, the vehicle systems have to warm-up and operate in relatively inefficient modes. For example, the catalytic converter has to reach operating temperatures of seveal hundreds of degrees. If at all possible, try to minimize the engine load by keeping the speeds in the 25-30 mph range. For example, taking a route through your neighborhood rather than a direct route to the nearest cross-town or higher speed road.

This is really just for the first trip of the day. For lunch or subsequent trips, the vehicle will already be warmed and you can just drive it like you would in the "operating mode."

2) operating mode - once warmed up, drive the car normally but there is a significant improvement if you can keep your speeds below 40 mph, 38-30 being idea. So on my commuting route, I drive on the access road in the right hand lane. The other drivers just pass me on the left, our access roads have two lanes, and there is no problem.

If you need to take a higher speed segment, try to keep your speed at 50-65 mph by staying in the right hand lane. If you see a large slow moving vehicle, follow it. There is no need to draft it, just follow it. The other traffic will move around.

Also, you don't pay a penalty for taking a short cut that has lights and stop signs. In my case, I cut out at least three extra miles by taking two short cuts:
https://home.hiwaay.net/%7Ebzwilson/prius/map.jpg

3) EV mode at end - when you get within 1-2 miles of your destination, choose a route at speeds of 30-35 mph so you can maximize your electric vehicle mode. The NiMH batteries lose charge overnight so parking with them fully charged isn't a good use of that energy.

As for accelleration, I just move out to my target speed. In fact, I kinda enjoy leaving the ordinary cars and trucks behind after the light changes thanks to the low-end torque of the electric motor. But once I reach my target speed, traffic OK, I stick in the right hand lane and let folks pass me. The key is staying in the slow lane and not trying to be a traffic obstical. It is a different style of driving. But you also need to pay attention to the mechanical state of your car:

1) oil level 3/4 between E and F to minimize engine drag
2) tires at 42/40 (42 front) to reduce drag and improve handling
3) air filter, clean or change at least annually

The 'road warriors' won't notice or care if your car is well maintained.

Avoid AC use but don't be scared to use it. Think about what you would do in a convertable or on a motorcycle. But when it is hot, keep yourself cool and alert.

Bob Wilson

Hot_Georgia_2004 08-10-2006 07:04 PM

njkayaker:

It would, though, be a serious pain in the rear for poor people who can't really afford to go out and buy new (or expensive) hybrids.
Just a friendly note to the fact that some non-hybrid vehicles are beating the pants off comparable hybrid cars regarding MPG.
This isn't a jab at anyone- there are alot of factors which contribute to that.

-Steve

Delta Flyer 08-10-2006 08:52 PM

Some Will Road Rage Regardless

This evening a compact pickup was weaving down the freeway at 85mph. Would the way not to offend him be going 90mph? Maybe he would get incensed and do 95!

All we can do is reduce the temptation for most people not to snap on the highway. The rest are nutcases that we can only hope get apprehended by the authorities sooner - not later.

piseas 08-10-2006 09:21 PM

I just got my 06 Prius. I also have an Audi A4 3.0. Prior to getting Prius I drove 80 MPH like everyone else, changing lanes, trying to get ahead. Guess I was bored but having fun. With the increase in gas prices and my concern about the enviroment, I slowed down and drove 65 MPH in the slow lane, in my Audi! I was getting 35MPG! I was so proud of myself. Each day I tried to beat my record, even if was by tenths of a mile per gallon.
Now I have my Prius and park Audi-which I still totall love- and still drive in the slow lane. I did want the carpool stickers cuz I drive 35 to work, mostly freeway. But to be honest, if I drove in the carpool lane, I would be the target of road rage and dont want people angry at me, so if I dont get the stickers now cuz they run out, thats ok.
So each day I play a game to see if I can beat my milage. So far I am not bored but am having fun. Iit is amazing how people complain about the price of gas but dont want to do one of the easiest things- slow down, drive the 65mph speed limit or slower. See you in the slow lane.

Hot_Georgia_2004 08-10-2006 09:21 PM

About a month ago I was driving about 50MPH in the far right lane of a 7 lane 55MPH limit nearly abandoned freeway at 2:30AM in the morning.

Some car pulled up behind really close behind me. I knew it was one of two things:
1. Cops checking out my registration and trying to decide if I'm intoxicated (Been pulled over for this twice before)
(or)
2. Some jerk with nothing else to do other than bother somebody plodding along in the Right lane

So I drove with a tailgater about 2-3 miles when the set of blue lights came to life.
"Great" I thought....

But wait...Those blue lights are behind the car tailgating me...and sure enough they were being pulled over!
I can't say if they had an issue with their own registration but I like to think they got a tailgating ticket. :present:

-Steve

Delta Flyer 08-10-2006 09:30 PM

YES! :thumbs_up

Orcrone 08-11-2006 06:51 AM

Im not one to wish disparity upon others, but quite frankly, I wish gas would go to $8.00 a gallon. I know I know, it would be harsh on us all (hybrid owners less than others) however it is the ONLY THING that will EVER ween this world from their poison-spewing-freedom-machines.

Rick,

As much as it's tempting to wish for higher gas prices to cause some radical changes, you can't assume that $8.00 a gallon will only effect what you pay to drive from point A to point B. That would throw us right into a recession. Everything that has to be transported would go up in price, whether it's vegetables in the supermarket or the Prius coming from Japan. Plastics and foam are made from oil, they would go way up. Right now consumer confidence is low with gas at $3.00 a gallon. Could you imagine where it would be at $8.00 a gallon? My wife and I own a small retail furniture store. With gas at $8.00 a gallon I can almost promise bankruptcy.

I did read one post where it was suggested putting a large tax on gas, but using tax cuts elsewhere to offset it. Might work, but I think it would be a progressive tax. Those with little income would not see much of a tax cut, but might not be able to reduce their driving and would be the ones least likely to be able to go out and buy a new car.

Not an easy problem.

njkayaker 08-11-2006 08:07 AM

njkayaker:

Just a friendly note to the fact that some non-hybrid vehicles are beating the pants off comparable hybrid cars regarding MPG.
This isn't a jab at anyone- there are alot of factors which contribute to that.

-Steve

There are many non-hybrids that are reasonably priced and are decent cars that do quite well in the mpg department. I don't think, though, there are any cars that compare (at a significantly lower price) to the Prius (for example) which actually "beat the pants off it" mpg-wise.

Anyway, unless one is actively in the market for a car or really wealthy, being able to respond to high gas prices by replacing what one is currently driving isn't really practical.

Poor people are already either driving a car they can afford (maybe a cheap older lower mpg car) or driving a car with decent mpg. $8 a gallon gas is going to do nothing to change this in any useful way. It will, though, make them poorer. Why would anybody want that? A rise in gas prices won't appreciably change the behavior of people who can afford $50k Hummers (ie, wealthy people). I suspect that rapidly rising gas prices will have the largest impact on middle class people looking for new cars (ie, people who can afford to buy Priuses).

Fixing the mpg problem requires anticipation since it's so long range. That's why the CAFE stuff is so important.

trying to decide if I'm intoxicated (Been pulled over for this twice before)

Driving slow, varying speed (slow up hills, fast done). Yup, one would look very suspicious to the cops trying to hypermile, especially at 2:30 am!

RickWorth 08-11-2006 08:24 AM

Like I said, I do NOT wish ill will on folks via higher gas prices, but the fact is that the rich will ALWAYS suffer less thant he poor. The reason I would like to see gas prices spike is because I realize the ONLY WAY (if not the fastest way) to make the auto industry CHANGE is for the consumer to SCREAM... and very loudly. Even at that, it will quite literally take the consumer to BOYCOTT the purchasing of new gasoline vehicals. It would be great to see people stop driving their personal cars and begin to SERIOUSLY CONSIDER PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. But many of us, myself included, will probably tolerate the higher gas prices UP TO A POINT... and that point has yet to be reached, and therefore there is absolutely NO INCENTIVE for the gas and oil industry or the auto industry to change course as rapidly as they should.

njkayaker 08-11-2006 09:10 AM

Like I said, I do NOT wish ill will on folks via higher gas prices, but the fact is that the rich will ALWAYS suffer less thant he poor. The reason I would like to see gas prices spike is because I realize the ONLY WAY (if not the fastest way) to make the auto industry CHANGE is for the consumer to SCREAM... and very loudly. Even at that, it will quite literally take the consumer to BOYCOTT the purchasing of new gasoline vehicals. It would be great to see people stop driving their personal cars and begin to SERIOUSLY CONSIDER PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. But many of us, myself included, will probably tolerate the higher gas prices UP TO A POINT... and that point has yet to be reached, and therefore there is absolutely NO INCENTIVE for the gas and oil industry or the auto industry to change course as rapidly as they should.

I suspect that people, for whom it's viable, are already using public transportation. (You will see a minor shift to public transportation with significantly higher gas prices.) For many others, public transportation is more expensive (even with $8 a gallon gas), and it takes much, much longer than driving.

Poor peole will certainly get screwed with higher gas prices and the other stuff may happen. How well did this work in 1972? How well did it work in 1981 (supposedly the highest inflation-adjusted gas prices).

I certainly don't need to have my income be reduced (effectivily) with higher gas prices (and I drive a fuel efficient car and have done so for 10 years). I certainly don't see a real value in giving all that extra money to the oil companies or the Middle East. Merely raising gas prices is an inefficient use of capital.

Hot_Georgia_2004 08-11-2006 12:40 PM

Thanks njkayaker:

I don't think, though, there are any cars that compare (at a significantly lower price) to the Prius (for example) which actually "beat the pants off it" mpg-wise.
See what the non-hybrid drivers are doing in this log:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage

basjoos in his 1992 Honda Civic CX who averages 69.7mpg
krousdb with his 1992 Honda HB VX and gets 69.4mpg
andy gets 56mpg in his 2004 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA

It's not how rich or poor someone is which dictates MPG but rather habits one retains...or changes.
For example someone could buy a Civic Dx manual everything at rock-bottom prices and well into the 40's to 50's MPG, and the right driver under the right condition could make it into the mid-upper 60's.

There are many HCH and Prius drivers in our GH database that for what ever reason get 30's and 40's MPG. Could be their terrain, traffic, or just plain don't mind the lower numbers. If they are happy with it then I am too....
But what I'm saying is driving habit is 80% of the MPG.

I'm not wildly rich nor dirt poor and choose to plod along in the Right lane generally 3-5MPH slower than the next lane. If I had a DX instead of a HCH or cheap no-frills Corolla I'd likely be in the upper 50's to lower 60's MPG as well.
Or I could run with the pack in the middle lanes and get 30's to 40's, or fly in the Left lanes and get 20's.
-Steve

Sungod18 08-11-2006 01:05 PM

Unlike many posts i'll directly answer your question:
To increase milage while on a freeway for example just drive slower! Stay the speed limit in the far right lane or middle lane. Unless im mistaken the middle lane is the travel lane so if you just cruise along at 65 mph (speed limit here in CT) then your fine. Its the responsibility of the other drivers who decide to speed to go around you. Unless an 18 wheeler is behind you Don't sweat it, If they decide to be an jerk and tailgate or hover on the horn or highbeams then its their issue. Staying steady in one lane at speed limit allows you to maintain a constant speed with little need to press the gas which is the best way to save gas over freeway driving.
-Although note this doesn't seem to save me from hybrid snob rage. On many occations i'll have a prius rush ahead then merge in front of me anmd start doing 2mph less than my speed! Nothing like seeing the ugly behind of a prius for an hour commute!

njkayaker 08-11-2006 01:07 PM

See what the non-hybrid drivers are doing in this log:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage

basjoos in his 1992 Honda Civic CX who averages 69.7mpg
krousdb with his 1992 Honda HB VX and gets 69.4mpg
andy gets 56mpg in his 2004 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA

Well, the diesel Jetta is a ringer! The numbers for the Honda are astonishing! Both Hondas are two seaters (not very practical for most people) except as a second car.

It's not how rich or poor someone is which dictates MPG but rather habits one retains...or changes.

This really is not related to my point. Higher gas prices screw poor people regardless of what they drive and what mpg they get. If they happen to be driving something with OK mpg, and gas prices shoot up, then they have to buy a used high-mpg car that will have a premium on it and dump something that will have less value. It doesn't make sense to me to want higher gas prices. I certainly don't want to spend more. It's a wierd assumption to make that higher gas prices are "good for everybody" when that clearly isn't the case!

Increased gas prices also cause the price of other things to go up (yet more ways of screwing poor people).

You'd get no argument from me that high-mpg cars are a good thing! My point is that high gas prices might not work that well at encouraging people to buy high-mpg cars but it will certainly screw poor people.

For example someone could buy a Civic Dx manual everything at rock-bottom prices and well into the 40's to 50's MPG, and the right driver under the right condition could make it into the mid-upper 60's.

A new Civic DX is $14k. Not something a poor person would buy. If it is relatively easy to attain such mpg, then hybrids don't make a lot of sense.

There are many HCH and Prius drivers in our GH database that for what ever reason get 30's and 40's MPG.

Nah, such numbers are criminal!

But what I'm saying is driving habit is 80% of the MPG.

Habit is important (maybe not quite 80%). The tool is crucial also.

I'm not wildly rich nor dirt poor and choose to plod along in the Right lane generally 3-5MPH slower than the next lane.

Anybody who can afford a new Prius is fairly well-off (maybe not wealthy). Keep in mind that I'm simplifying things a bit.

If I had a DX instead of a HCH or cheap no-frills Corolla I'd likely be in the upper 50's to lower 60's MPG as well.

It would be very interesting to see what you could do with these! Personally, I don't think anybody would be able to squeeze those mpg out of these (but you'd be a good canditate for proving me wrong).

basjoos 08-13-2006 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=njkayaker] The numbers for the Honda are astonishing! Both Hondas are two seaters (not very practical for most people) except as a second car.
QUOTE]

The 92 honda Civic HB seats 4 easily (and has seat belts for 5 people). Us po' folks who can't afford the fancy new hybrids have to drive 14 year old FE cars with over 400,000 miles on them to reduce our fuel bills. Mine gives me up to 92MPG through a combination of the drag reduction mods I have installed (the mods paid for themselves in gas savings in less than 4000 miles of driving) and fuel efficient driving techniques.

njkayaker 08-14-2006 07:53 AM

[QUOTE=basjoos]

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The numbers for the Honda are astonishing! Both Hondas are two seaters (not very practical for most people) except as a second car.
QUOTE]

The 92 honda Civic HB seats 4 easily (and has seat belts for 5 people). Us po' folks who can't afford the fancy new hybrids have to drive 14 year old FE cars with over 400,000 miles on them to reduce our fuel bills. Mine gives me up to 92MPG through a combination of the drag reduction mods I have installed (the mods paid for themselves in gas savings in less than 4000 miles of driving) and fuel efficient driving techniques.

I confused the CX with the CRX (a two seater).

Impressive work.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=68272#15

birchman2 08-14-2006 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=basjoos]

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The numbers for the Honda are astonishing! Both Hondas are two seaters (not very practical for most people) except as a second car.
QUOTE]

I know alot of po' folks and the hybrids aren't on the list of cars to get. It's the Navigators, Expeditions, Tahoes and any other car you can fit 20's or larger rims on. Example my GF owns a building one of the tenants is slow paying rent however, manages to purchase a Range Rover. Go figure.:omg:

birchman2 08-14-2006 08:00 PM

With all the information on this site there aren't to many secrets. What kind of mpg are you getting now? I'm sure the Prius owners have a hypermiling article start by reading it/them then when you drive try to apply what you read. Then do your own experiements and find the niches of your daily commute. As you learn the car you will find that you can either get good, great or are you driving a moped mileage.

Some of the folks are getting crazy mileage out of their cars through discipline beyond what is normal.

Doughboy 05-14-2008 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by njkayaker (Post 80155)
$8 a gallon gas is going to do nothing to change this in any useful way. It will, though, make them poorer. Why would anybody want that? A rise in gas prices won't appreciably change the behavior of people who can afford $50k Hummers (ie, wealthy people). I suspect that rapidly rising gas prices will have the largest impact on middle class people looking for new cars (ie, people who can afford to buy Priuses).

Likely true, driving behavior not likely change so long as there is supply. But, if the supply was literally restricted to rationaling (remember those lines in the early 70s?) Then behavior will definitely change..and with our hybrids we can certainly achieve far greater range on a full tank than an average car and certainly a typical SUV. Problem with the furious global demand for oil, rationaling will probably take place sooner than later. I would seriously think about checking out electric vehicles in the not too distant future...:cry:

HAH Taffeta White '05 05-17-2008 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004 (Post 79964)
-Steve

Steve,
I was thinking along those same lines, or "I'm hypermiling...You?" or "Hypermiling Happens." Then my local magnetic sign person suggested "Green Car; Not to exceed 55" So far, so good, it is reflective green so when lights are on I shouldn't get rear ended. I'll keep you posted. I put up a photo of it tonight, but it hasn't uploaded.
Rockn Roland