Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

pondering my personal speed limit

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 07:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: pondering my personal speed limit

Yet another benefit of driving slow: a free $25 gas card !!

Ford Hybrid Patrol, Alexandria PD to Pull Over and 'Cite' Fuel-Efficient Drivers with Free Gas Cards

WHAT: The Alexandria Police Department is teaming up with the "Ford Hybrid Patrol" to pull over fuel-efficient drivers at random in a customized Mercury Mariner Hybrid patrol SUV (complete with flashers and bullhorn). Drivers will be rewarded free gas cards.

It's part of Ford Motor Company's Washington, DC effort to promote fuel efficiency and explain the myths and realities of hybrid technology. David Cue, Ford Hybrid chief engineer, will accompany the officers and briefly give drivers tips about maximizing fuel economy. Cue will also give a fuel-economy clinic at the Alexandria PD for officers at roll call. The department purchased 180,884 gallons of fuel in the 2005 fiscal year, accumulating 1,716,637 miles patrolling the city's streets in its 183 patrol vehicles. With gas prices in the Washington-DC area averaging $2.48 (regular), the department's 2006 fiscal year fuel budget is projected to reach $1.5 million, a possible increase of more than $500,000 from last year.

The fuel-economy clinic will help officers improve their mpg in patrol cars, and give them insights into hybrid innovation as more governmental agencies in the U.S. are giving the fuel-saving hybrids a closer look.
From this page:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...31/147041.html

Old 11-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

I typically drive at or slightly below the speed limit (except on downhill coasts where I can save gas by going faster). I find that drivers in rural South Carolina (with the occasional rare exception) are very courteous toward drivers who are driving at or slightly below the speed limit. They will keep back at a safe distance until it is safe to pass and will often not even attempt to pass. On the other hand, most drivers in western North Carolina are very pushy and will get right on your rear bumper if you are not going at least 10 or 15 MPH over the speed limit. I find it most curious that the drivers in rural South Carolina, a redneck haven, are more accepting of driving at the speed limit than are the drivers in the North Carolina mountains, a hotspot for environmentalists and the like. You would expect the reverse.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

-My particular concern is not for those people speeding on the road in general. I have no problem with someone in the #1 lane driving 75 in a 65. My beef is with those that are driving unsafely. Cutting in and out of lanes, sliding so close to the rear on a pass that they almost brush my bumper, sprinting ahead, only to slam on their brakes. This kind of behavior is what gets my goat so to speak. It's these drivers that bother me the most.

-So, as far as I'm concerned, speed all you please, it's not my gas. But if you endanger me or my family, there is going to be a problem.

Old 11-02-2005, 05:36 AM

And while you are at it, speeders and gas guzzlers, volunteer your chidren to Iraq.
-So, as far as I'm concerned, speed all you please, it's not my gas. But if you endanger me or my family, there is going to be a problem.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by EricGo
And while you are at it, speeders and gas guzzlers, volunteer your chidren to Iraq.
Good thing we do have good people who are willing to volunteer for the military. Else we ourselves might be ruled by someone like Saddam.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:46 AM

I have never understood the american predilection to be on a first name basis with dictators.

Do you also say 'GW' ?

But back to the point: Hussein did not threaten to invade the US; he threatend to extend his control over more middle east oil. See the difference ?

Old 11-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Banned

I have never understood the american predilection to be on a first name basis with dictators.
We wanted to make a distinction between him and Hussein, King of Jordan - a very honorable man.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:06 AM

Only the more anxious of our repubican citizens still fear invasion from King Hussein of Jordan, six years after his death.

Last edited by EricGo; 11-02-2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:14 AM

But back to the point: Hussein did not threaten to invade the US; he threatend to extend his control over more middle east oil. See the difference ?
I had a long political rant here, but let me shorten it and prevent an escalation by just saying that if a couple of hurricanes can drive gas prices through the roof, we dont want to live in a world where someone like a Middle East dictator can control large portions of the oil. 'Nuff said.

Last edited by lars-ss; 11-02-2005 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Good thing we do have good people who are willing to volunteer for the military.

Quick Reply: pondering my personal speed limit

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands