Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Study or proof that driving an hybrid is better than driving a non-hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Study or proof that driving an hybrid is better than driving a non-hybrid?

Where is the landfill with the old Prius hybrid electric batteries that I could dig up?

The ones on Ebay are asking $1,000 and $1,800.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-05-2006, 05:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Study or proof that driving an hybrid is better than driving a non-hybrid?

Originally Posted by debdeb
If people are already convinced they're right (with no proof), it's not easy to change their minds. Most opinions are usually based on ignorance or emotions, not facts. They see you as the crazy one much like 100's of years ago when "they" said the Earth revolved around the sun and many, many other 'facts' that have been proved wrong over time. The majority has been wrong about many things over the centuries.

Don't waste your time convincing these people, they've already made up their minds. Just be content in knowing you're saving gas and helping the environment. People complain about spending more for a hybrid and want to know their return on investment, but they never ask that question when they pay $$ for options like navigation systems, heated leather seats, etc. so why is a hybrid option any different. I'm sure in 5-10 years things will be very different as more cars will be hybrids of some sort, car shapes will change to support higher mpg too. I don't expect the oil companies to let gas prices decrease significantly in the future.
Very well put. thank you.

FWIW, I use the same 'option package' argument constantly- it has never failed to stop a skeptic dead in their tracks. At least MY option package has a HOPE of recouping the cost.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Study or proof that driving an hybrid is better than driving a non-hybrid?

Originally Posted by debdeb
If people are already convinced they're right (with no proof), it's not easy to change their minds. Most opinions are usually based on ignorance or emotions, not facts. . . .
Thanks, I just edited answer #370 to the "real hybrid owner" question:

"370) skeptics are anxious to share mytical problems about your hybrid."

Bob Wilson

Old 03-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gonavy
Very well put. thank you.

FWIW, I use the same 'option package' argument constantly- it has never failed to stop a skeptic dead in their tracks. At least MY option package has a HOPE of recouping the cost.
It may have stopped them in their tracks but not likely because it made sense to them. It certainly doesn't to me, I can comprehend features such as reducing emissions for earth conscious reasons, or reduce foreign dependency, but buying a hybrid won't be decided on those factors.

For most people fuel consumption is a cost, and to us recouping is the only incentive of a hybrid.

For me getting a 2wd 2.7L Tacoma was a no brainer. It did require getting a model that isn't available in Colorado traded from another region which wasn't easy. Costs was $5600 LESS than the 4wd 4L and I'm getting 27mpg after 6000 miles, compared to max 20mpg with the more expensive truck. Far better for me and my needs than any hybrid. I'd like to see a Tacoma hybrid but if it doesn't pay for itself, no thanks.

You can compare the hybrid option to other options like larger engines, or leather, or stereo, but none of the other options ever were intended to have a payback potential.

If you're saying a hybrid wasn't intended to have a payback, then I and most of the population just don't get it.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Study or proof that driving an hybrid is better than driving a non-hybrid?

Originally Posted by worthywads
. . .
For most people fuel consumption is a cost, and to us recouping is the only incentive of a hybrid.
. . .
One of the curious aspects of driving a high MPG vehicle is the price of gas has become less important, small change. But by all means requirements should drive an individual's purchasing decision.

In my case, I'm getting a fuel savings that pays my return on investment. But then, I got a good deal on a used car and my savings comes without any tax breaks.

Since getting 03 Prius, I've learned the total cost of ownership appears to be lower than originally expected due to lower maintenance costs and apparently, higher resale value (per Kelly Blue Book.) It doesn't hurt that I'm getting better than EPA MPG and am working on modifications that will improve it further.

One of my first requirements was a modification having nothing to do with MPG but rather emergency power. My second modification, use of synthetic transaxle oil, fit within the normal maintenance schedule and appears to be making a modest improvement in MPG.

Different requirements would drive different choices. Our family has two adults, one retired, and a small dog and no big loads to haul around. I have a 10-13 mile, daily commute route and the hybrid-electric has turned out to be an excellent commuting vehicle. The hybrid-electric city mileage allows taking urban short cuts without a fuel cost penalty and this shortens the commute distance by 3 miles. The shorter commute route cancels the time spent on a slower street and reduces weekly commute distance. This has been a win-win decision.

Still, I don't presume to speak for the "most people" family, just ours. For those who take a different approach, Mr. People's family is welcome to pay their money and get what they paid for.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-05-2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Where is the landfill with the old Prius hybrid electric batteries that I could dig up?

The ones on Ebay are asking $1,000 and $1,800.

Bob Wilson
Good question. As I said before, at the time of the posting I could find no evidence. Just now I went through only the first 300 of the 130,000 google returns for 'prius battery landfill'. Then I gave up.

IIRC the original (mythical?) posting referred to MN, MI, or WI, so it's going to be a long drive for either of us.

All the Prius batteries I have seen sold on ebay were in the $300-$800 range, except for one $42 plus shipping, stated as having a failed module. Maybe I shoulda bit on that one. Sigh. The electric vehicle DIYers use them. One college built an electric airplane with them.

DAS

Old 03-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Tochatihu
. . . One college built an electric airplane with them.
Who? When? URL?

Bob Wilson

Old 03-05-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Still, I don't presume to speak for the "most people" family, just ours. For those who take a different approach, Mr. People's family is welcome to pay their money and get what they paid for.

Bob Wilson
That so many people here are discussing that it is such a common and often frustrating question about "paying for itself" or "recouping the cost" gives me confidence that my presumption isn't wrong.

And I'm considering synthetic fluids for my differential and 5-spd, and I've been using mobil 1 since the first oil change. Even with a scanguage it is hard to quantify the effects, I may go back to regular oil as a test, though I also expect engine longevity to improve with synthetic. And with 100,000 mile change intervals the synthetic gear lub is worth a try.

Last edited by worthywads; 03-05-2006 at 07:25 PM.