General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Electric Cars and Plug In Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Electric Cars and Plug In Hybrids

There is another option:

The only problem is the battery energy pretty much goes away at temperatures under 50F. If you can solve the battery warm-up problem, this would also provide a nice alternative.

This winter, I stored the battery in the house on my charger. But if I had to keep the battery outside, I would add insulation, heating and a temperature regulator. As long as it is out of direct blowing, cold air, the thermal mass the battery should be able to handle 9-10 hours for the evening commute and plug-in to AC power.

Just a thought.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not sure if Toyota is ever going to come out w/ a lithium prius. At least not soon. They love their NiMH batteries that are working well. They are making a LiIon EV, but only because ChevronTexaco owns the patent to the NiMH energy batteries (our hybrids have power batteries; good for short bursts of power).

I would definitely wait until there is a better solutions than what's in the market right now. I think that hybrids are okay, but they are no where near what an EV or EREV (extended range EV, like the Volt) can do. There's a lot coming in the next few years, so I'd stick with your current car and tell your dealership "No Plug? No Deal!".

Old 03-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
There is another option:
Hi Bob,

I've actually been eyeing electric bike and scooter options. Do you have any links to tech info about yours?

I found a shop in Seattle that carries electric bikes. Also saw an electric scooter at Costco.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by kengrubb
Hi Bob,

I've actually been eyeing electric bike and scooter options. Do you have any links to tech info about yours?

I found a shop in Seattle that carries electric bikes. Also saw an electric scooter at Costco.
I'm not going to be much help. I ran into the seller at HybridFest and the price was right.

Bob Wilson