General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

GM: Not Making Hybrid a 'Mistake'

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: GM: Not Making Hybrid a 'Mistake'

Originally Posted by habu968
The REAL bottom line is, GM never thought that gas prices would get as high as they did, and quite simply misjudged the market for small cars and hybrids. 70's all over again with Detroit? Seems like it to me.
Sort of. The real issue for GM, Ford, and Chrysler is that they got addicted to the (ridiculous) margins on large SUVs. In reality, a compact hybrid vehicle costs more to produce than a lard-a** SUV, with considerably more advanced technology. In the US market, it's easy to make the case for a $40K Tahoe, even it costs < 15K to produce. For a smallish Hybrid, the the margins of that size aren't there, so it's hard to build a decent business case for the product. The only problem is that your company's survival depends on having vehicles to sell, even when you can't get elephantine margins.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Funny GM quote, I've read in several places where Japan's research and production of hybrids were a direct result of GM's electric car project.

I bought my HCH when gas was $1.24/g. I was in the market for the most fuel efficient 5 passenger car I could find. I was concerned gas might reach $2/g.

Being a Dodge patron, and especially loyal to American cars found nothing in any of the big 3 lineup which came close.
So I abandoned my 1st choice, and any American car.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frodo
Of course, given GM's track record of getting new tech 'right', it's likely just as well. Going back to the 50's (60 'vair, the Tempest rope driveshaft, the Buick AL V8, first couple of years of the FWD Toronado/Eldorado), the 70's (70 Vega), the 80's (X cars, THM 7004R and even the 200 trannies, the Olds Diesel), the 90's (the early Northstar engines and FWD trannies) and even in this decade (the SSR, first couple of years of Trailblazer DOHC 6). Folks that buy a GM model with significant 'brand spankin new' tech must like to have the dealer's service adviser as their best bud.

You got that right.
And hey! Let's not ever forget the Cadillac "Four, Six, Eight". The flagship of the GM lineup; and EVERY unit had to be recalled for a complete engine swap out.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Whiterook
You got that right.
And hey! Let's not ever forget the Cadillac "Four, Six, Eight". The flagship of the GM lineup; and EVERY unit had to be recalled for a complete engine swap out.
That really was a matter of an idea 'before its time'. The computers of the day couldn't effectively mange the switchover, leading to poor drivabilitiy. Took a while to realize that you had to have the computer running the whole show, including throttle, advance, TCC engagement and trans shift points before a system like that could work; we have an 05 Odyssey that has VCM that works pretty transparently...