General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Looking at electric?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Looking at electric?

"A 250 HP electric car is not only infeasible, but just as bad as a 250 HP gas guzzler."

I'm not so sure this true. There are several 200+ HP electrics now being offered for sale (delivery in the next year). The price is very high but battery technology that supports this discharge rate may become cheaper quickly. There is a big technical difference between IC engines and motors when you look at efficiency over a range of outputs. It's not hard to imagine an motor that can deliver a peak of 200 hp but is still very efficient at 10 hp. You can even build in multiple motors and just use the ones you need. I'm impressed by some of the "motor in wheel" concepts that have a motor built into each wheel. You get 4 WD when you need it and the ability to seamlessly go to front wheel drive, rear wheel drive or even one wheel drive when it's appropriate.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:31 PM
ice
Active Enthusiast

the Aptera looks so lovely! having a futuristic look and a promising vehicle...

Old 01-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Enthusiast

The MINI E I'm picking up in a few weeks is heavier than the ice version. So winter driving should be fine. I wonder if the regenerative braking is hooked up with the ABS? As to the batteries getting cold, they won't lease it to you without a garage and it will be plugged in. Once out and about I don't expect it will lose too much power from the cold. I expect running the heater will be a bigger drain. I'm looking forward to my one year experiment.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:32 PM
ice
Active Enthusiast

good to hear that ChasSidwa!