General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Tesla Motors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tesla Motors?

Originally Posted by stevejust
IMHO, they're doing the order of the cars correctly. Their goal is to bring electric cars to everyone.
I agree. As every is saying, yes it would be awesome if there was an affordable for everyone, nice, yet efficient electric car, but it will come in time...

Old 01-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noz
You'll buy ALOT of fuel for MANY years to coming close to offseting the cost of buying one of these. Essentially, you have to be very well to do.

I think stuff like this will be detrimental to the progress of electric vehicles...because public perception will not take kindly to alternative energy choices when they are completely priced out.
Especially when cost is considered the only worthy criteria. It costs more to do things right. Everyone knows this, yet hardly anyone is willing to live by it.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevejust
Tesla did a lot of branding and strategic research and discovered it was easier for a car manufacturer to go "down market" i.e., think of a BMW3 Audi A3 or Volvo S40 compared to their more presitgious brethern-- than it was for a company, like VW to go "up market" i.e., the $100,000 VW Phateon they stopped making 'cause no one wanted to spend $100kk on a "VW."
Yeah maybe, but they'll still pay 60 grand for a Toureg... or 30 grand for a jetta. Yikes. If VW is having problems its because they simply priced themselves out of the market (either that or nobody really wants a gigantic switchblade key that requires its own belt holster). At those prices, who would buy a VW when you can get a Benz or Beamer for twenty bucks more?

Old 05-05-2007, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nagorak
Sorry, but what we need is a practical electric car that people actually can afford to buy. I couldn't care less about someone making an electric car with super performance that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Those electric cars with super performance don't cost hundreds of thousands of dollars; they cost $91,000. And, they've sold out, so you won't have to worry about buying one.

All of that money coming in has allowed Tesla to take the next step in their plan: Begin construction of a manufacturing plant for a lower-priced all-electric car, the WhiteStar:
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog4/?p=52

The plant is all-American making truly innovative cars, this time a more conventional looking sedan. I have heard rumors of a $42,000 price point but, if the Roadster continues to drive upfront R&D costs down who knows how low the WhiteStar could go on price; perhaps as low as a 2009 Prius.

I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the design of the WhiteStar. I hope to make my car after the Prius all-electric, and Congress will hopefully soon create significant tax relief for buyers of electric vehicles. It would also be very cool to be able to take pride in an American car manufacturer. Maybe worth paying a premium... heck, at ~$.10/gal equivalent, the savings will be significant when gas is $4 or $5/gal.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by SoopahMan
Those electric cars with super performance don't cost hundreds of thousands of dollars; they cost $91,000. And, they've sold out, so you won't have to worry about buying one.

All of that money coming in has allowed Tesla to take the next step in their plan: Begin construction of a manufacturing plant for a lower-priced all-electric car, the WhiteStar:
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog4/?p=52

The plant is all-American making truly innovative cars, this time a more conventional looking sedan. I have heard rumors of a $42,000 price point but, if the Roadster continues to drive upfront R&D costs down who knows how low the WhiteStar could go on price; perhaps as low as a 2009 Prius.

I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the design of the WhiteStar. I hope to make my car after the Prius all-electric, and Congress will hopefully soon create significant tax relief for buyers of electric vehicles. It would also be very cool to be able to take pride in an American car manufacturer. Maybe worth paying a premium... heck, at ~$.10/gal equivalent, the savings will be significant when gas is $4 or $5/gal.
Yes, and after the White Star, who knows what they will come up with next. Exciting times.