Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   General EV Discussion (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/general-ev-discussion-77/)
-   -   Volt Price: $30k ??? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/general-ev-discussion-77/volt-price-30k-18259/)

bwilson4web 05-22-2008 01:54 PM

Volt Price: $30k ???

http://wot.motortrend.com/6252297/gr...30k/index.html

Ever since GM opened the doors to its Tech Center in Warren, Michigan, where the 2010 Chevy Volt is being designed, rumors have been swirling about the new Extended-Range Electric Vehicle (E-REV). Originally beset by problems, development has moved ahead rapidly with a test mule hitting the track and word that a production-spec car could appear at this year's Paris Auto Show. And now in another victory, it seems that GM CEO Rick Wagoner has said the plug-in hybrid will not only make its original target price of $30,000, it could even sell for less.

Woopie!!!

Bob Wilson

BigTuna 05-22-2008 02:00 PM

Re: Volt Price: $30k ???

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 173358)

Awesome! I thought they were going to be up around $37,000.00! Under $30k would make the Volt a must have.

Indigo 05-25-2008 05:05 AM

The prive does seem to be a bit of a moving target for GM. I've heard prices as low as $30k and as high as $48k. I've also heard rumors of a seperate battery lease.

tbaleno 05-25-2008 08:05 AM

It will be interesting to see what the volt looks like for production. Has anyone taken any pictures of the few that are being tested on the streets of detroit?

I've talked to a few non hybrid people and they said if the volt looks like the concept and does what gm says it will then they will buy one in a heart beat.

I think if GM lives up to promiseses that it could outsell prius by at least 2 to 1 if GM could keep up with demand.

micahelm 05-26-2008 11:22 AM

I shall not believe that without link. It is amazing.

martinjlm 05-26-2008 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
development has moved ahead rapidly with a test mule hitting the track

Originally Posted by tbaleno (Post 173638)
It will be interesting to see what the volt looks like for production. Has anyone taken any pictures of the few that are being tested on the streets of detroit?

I've talked to a few non hybrid people and they said if the volt looks like the concept and does what gm says it will then they will buy one in a heart beat.

I think if GM lives up to promiseses that it could outsell prius by at least 2 to 1 if GM could keep up with demand.

In the industry, the definition of a test mule is a current production vehicle mocked up to simulate characteristics of a product in development. If a Volt mule pulled up next to you, you wouldn't know it. Until you realized "Hey! I didn't hear the engine running!". Then you'd probably assume it was a Malibu Hybrid or an Aura Hybrid.

Now having said that, there is a website that has a spyshot of one of the mules in testing at the Milford Proving Grounds. Pretty much backs up what I just said.

Peace,

Martin

bwilson4web 05-26-2008 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by martinjlm (Post 173793)
... If a Volt mule pulled up next to you, you wouldn't know it. Until you realized "Hey! I didn't hear the engine running!". Then you'd probably assume it was a Malibu Hybrid or an Aura Hybrid. ...

What an opportunity ... you could fit a recording of an engine (or somebody making engine noises) and let the blind know about it. Just for fun, use the recording of an engine with valve noise and a loose belt. <grins>

Often I'm sitting at a light with the windows rolled down and I'm diagnosing the engine sounds of the pickups and cars around me.

Bob Wilson