Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   2009 Yukon AFM DOD Delete (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/2009-yukon-afm-dod-delete-31874/)

cncguy2000 02-26-2019 10:55 AM

2009 Yukon AFM DOD Delete

Hello all, I had the dreaded AFM DOD issue with a valve stuck.
I have repaired the valves, all new lifters and new VLOM.
truck is running like it should now.

I have been searching for someone that can turn off AFM on the ECM but have had no luck.
I have also reached out to Range technology asking about their OBD-II plugin module, but they said it will not work on the hybrid...
same with brendon with lt1swap, HP Tuner, and Hypertech.

any Ideas on how to get rid of the AFM, or am I stuck with it?
Thanks in advance.
Henry

erick.oc 02-26-2019 08:09 PM

Re: 2009 Yukon AFM DOD Delete

I have a 2009 Tahoe Hybrid. I use the Range Tech AFM delete. Works fine. It even says on their listing it works on ALL AFM GM vehicles.

I haven't seen my truck go into V4 mode since I installed it. Whoever told you it doesn't work seems like they got the wrong impression. Maybe because they read 'hybrid', and these trucks aren't really standard hybrids. I'll check and see if it goes back into V4 mode but I haven't felt the slight kicking in of the extra 4 cylinders when I give it gas and the dash holds at V8. I'll check it again and hit you up if I see anything different.

Quick update, drove to and from the grocery store with the "INSTECON V8" dash screen up. Stayed in v8 the entire time to and from. I haven't really checked it too much but I'm pretty sure when the light turns solid colored on the Range OBD2 device, that means that the AFM delete is in action. It turns solid after a second or two of flashing every time I start the car.

I would buy the Range device. I got my Hybrid at 92k about a month ago and I'm desperately trying to avoid that collapsed lifter concern that everyone talks about AFM having. It's pretty affordable and although you're guaranteed to lose a few MPG, I think spending what you did every time your lifter / cam busts would make up for a good chunk of the savings you'd have on gasoline.

cncguy2000 02-27-2019 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by erick.oc (Post 267515)
I have a 2009 Tahoe Hybrid. I use the Range Tech AFM delete. Works fine. It even says on their listing it works on ALL AFM GM vehicles.

I haven't seen my truck go into V4 mode since I installed it. Whoever told you it doesn't work seems like they got the wrong impression. Maybe because they read 'hybrid', and these trucks aren't really standard hybrids. I'll check and see if it goes back into V4 mode but I haven't felt the slight kicking in of the extra 4 cylinders when I give it gas and the dash holds at V8. I'll check it again and hit you up if I see anything different.

Quick update, drove to and from the grocery store with the "INSTECON V8" dash screen up. Stayed in v8 the entire time to and from. I haven't really checked it too much but I'm pretty sure when the light turns solid colored on the Range OBD2 device, that means that the AFM delete is in action. It turns solid after a second or two of flashing every time I start the car.

I would buy the Range device. I got my Hybrid at 92k about a month ago and I'm desperately trying to avoid that collapsed lifter concern that everyone talks about AFM having. It's pretty affordable and although you're guaranteed to lose a few MPG, I think spending what you did every time your lifter / cam busts would make up for a good chunk of the savings you'd have on gasoline.

Thanks for the reply.
Question... does the engine still cut off when you are stopped?I saw on range website that it stops engine off.
I still want that feature.
Thanks
Henry

Ckleven 02-27-2019 07:03 AM

I use the Range AFM device without issue in my 2009 Escalade hybrid. It simply forces V8 mode all the time. Everything else works as it should, including Autostop.

cncguy2000 02-27-2019 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ckleven (Post 267517)
I use the Range AFM device without issue in my 2009 Escalade hybrid. It simply forces V8 mode all the time. Everything else works as it should, including Autostop.

Great!, I will order one!
Thanks all!!!

erick.oc 02-27-2019 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by cncguy2000 (Post 267516)
Thanks for the reply.
Question... does the engine still cut off when you are stopped?I saw on range website that it stops engine off.
I still want that feature.
Thanks
Henry

It works 100%. The only thing it does is keeps it out of V4. Still goes in autostop when it's below 30ish mph. No dash lights or quirks.

cncguy2000 02-27-2019 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by erick.oc (Post 267519)
It works 100%. The only thing it does is keeps it out of V4. Still goes in autostop when it's below 30ish mph. No dash lights or quirks.

thanks, it's ordered!

cncguy2000 03-01-2019 04:07 PM

If anyone wondered what is inside the lifters, here ya go... lots of tight tolerance parts.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...c82453217.jpeg

dnt1010 03-01-2019 04:32 PM

Awesome pics, thanks for contributing. Did you do all the engine work yourself?

cncguy2000 03-02-2019 08:13 AM

Unfortunately my work schedule and age, did not agree to this scope of work to the truck. I have rebuilt engines before, and do minor stuff, axles, bearings, electrical etc. I have a friends son who is a mechanic at stealership, I paid him to do the work, I ordered the parts. Sometimes you got to admit defeat!

Andrew Lefebvre 07-08-2019 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by erick.oc (Post 267519)

I’m currently deleting my dod because of a failed lifter. Tuning isn’t an option when I’m done. Do you think using Range will keep the truck from throwing codes ect without VLOM?

erick.oc 07-10-2019 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Lefebvre (Post 268330)
I’m currently deleting my dod because of a failed lifter. Tuning isn’t an option when I’m done. Do you think using Range will keep the truck from throwing codes ect without VLOM?

Like written a couple of times above, the Range device does NOT cause your truck to throw codes. Everything works normally, no codes, except it is fully using the V8 and not dropping to V4. It's a nifty piece of equipment.

lvflyer 10-15-2019 07:54 AM

Is there any updates on this thread. I have 2013 Yukon Denali Hybrid. 135,000 miles. Accelerating from stop I get misfire dash light and code saying #6 misfire. I did find bad coil, but also had stuck lifter. Was able to free the lifter with the method and tool found on Youtube Crazed Performance. I'm concerned it will happen again, because I don't know the cause. It says on the Range Technologies website this device does not work on the 6.0. Others posted they haven't had any problems deleting the AFM with this device and all the hybrid functions still work. I'm curious how much the mileage changes and does it still used the hybrid battery under 30mph at low torque needs? Which device did you use? Should I order direct from Range Tech website?

Dirk

Originally Posted by erick.oc (Post 268333)
Like written a couple of times above, the Range device does NOT cause your truck to throw codes. Everything works normally, no codes, except it is fully using the V8 and not dropping to V4. It's a nifty piece of equipment.

erick.oc 10-15-2019 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by lvflyer (Post 269042)
Is there any updates on this thread. I have 2013 Yukon Denali Hybrid. 135,000 miles. Accelerating from stop I get misfire dash light and code saying #6 misfire. I did find bad coil, but also had stuck lifter. Was able to free the lifter with the method and tool found on Youtube Crazed Performance. I'm concerned it will happen again, because I don't know the cause. It says on the Range Technologies website this device does not work on the 6.0. Others posted they haven't had any problems deleting the AFM with this device and all the hybrid functions still work. I'm curious how much the mileage changes and does it still used the hybrid battery under 30mph at low torque needs? Which device did you use? Should I order direct from Range Tech website?

Dirk

I have the 6.0 Hybrid Tahoe. 2009. The AFM delete works FLAWLESSLY. No codes. Mileage is about 19.5 combined. Hybrid battery still works. That link I posted above is the exact amazon listing I ordered from.

lvflyer 10-15-2019 01:42 PM

Update. Picked up Yukon and lifter immediately stuck again. Here's my choices now. Already cost $75 in labor and $35 for tool. Will cost $75 again to unstick then $180 for delete module or $800 to replace. If I don't replace it now and rely on the delete module I would think that would devalue the vehicle quite a bit. I would have to secure the module so it is not removed and I won't be able to use my reader while driving. Have to make sure if ever left at the dealership or mechanic they never run it without the module. If I replace there is no guarantee another lifter won't stick down the road so would have to replace and get the delete module for an assurance.

Dirk

Tahoe_08 10-22-2019 09:38 PM

m4 seems to always run b8 on my rig

my lifters died :( @ 92k

I'm in the process in making a claim with the shop they SCREWED up my oil change ran low on oil and starved my lifters... they only hand tightedn the filter and it came loose Lost 4qt in 4 hours

sounds like a diesel engine on a cold start

This was not a natural death of it They forgot to tighten the filter and oil plug :(

I ran 4k OCI worked perfectly and ALWAYS had clean oil not a speck of carbon in the oil when it was changed @4k miles

I'm really sad I paid $13,000 8 months ago with 84k