Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   Battery Charge Level (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/battery-charge-level-22652/)

kklein 09-18-2009 08:55 PM

Battery Charge Level

Does anyone have an idea how we can check the Charge of the Hybrid Battery? I have had my Tahoe Hybrid about 3 weeks and do a lot of driving. When I keep the ECO meter in the center of the green I am averaging 29MPG. I have also noticed that if I do not watch my braking the ECO meter will go out of the green to the left, I am possibly lossing some regenerative charging power here.

CPMS 09-21-2009 01:17 PM

Re: Battery Charge Level

I don't think the hybrid battery charge status is available for us to see (not sure why .... anyone at GM listening out there?????). The only voltage I've been able to find is the 12V battery status on the DIC. Welcome to the club by the way. Keep checking this board as it's the best place for info on our trucks out there. Believe it or not I've actually gone through and read every post and the info is very helpful.

kklein 09-22-2009 06:44 AM

I have noticed on my DIC that the battery voltage sometimes reads 15 volts? If the electric motors start the engine is the 12 volt battery only for the accesories?

fjungman 09-22-2009 09:01 AM

The 12V electrical system is actually a 14V +2V/-4V electrical system, with the ability to withstand momentary applications of 60VDC (load dump).
Thus the new-era electrical components designed to reduce weight by using less current (and, therefore, thinner wires) are called 42V systems. They are 14V x 3 = 42V.

So, seeing 15V is not uncommon. You could even see 16V occasionally. Although the regulators are good enough now that this should not happen.

maghetiuv 09-22-2009 03:07 PM

I think there are voltage peaks at some times, and the voltage may vary slightly
Toyota Prius

Joe Spivey 02-20-2017 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by fjungman (Post 211119)
The 12V electrical system is actually a 14V +2V/-4V electrical system, with the ability to withstand momentary applications of 60VDC (load dump).
Thus the new-era electrical components designed to reduce weight by using less current (and, therefore, thinner wires) are called 42V systems. They are 14V x 3 = 42V.

So, seeing 15V is not uncommon. You could even see 16V occasionally. Although the regulators are good enough now that this should not happen.

Just like normal charging systems you can see charging system voltage pretty close to 16 volts but this indicates that the 12 volt battery is low on charge. You should see the charging system voltage lower to about 13.9 once the battery is fully charged. At 13.9 the battery charge is maintained and the alternator, (or DC to DC convertor) is providing the battery with the extra amps to run the accessories.

tiktok4321 02-22-2017 07:50 AM

Should a resting state of 11.7V be considered "normal"?

NiKMP 03-29-2017 01:43 PM

Per the OP's original question ... should anyone else find this old thread ... Use torque and the custom PID's for the hybrid battery.