Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   Decal Removing (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/decal-removing-21268/)

alb810 03-14-2009 12:09 PM

Decal Removing

Anybody have new info regarding having dealer remove the side decals? Saw a post that said there was a dealer bulletin to do this, but when I asked my service mjr he said no because of the safety issue. If they won't do it, does anybody have any hints to do it easily?

willywaxer 03-14-2009 01:39 PM

Re: Decal Removing

There's a whole thread on this called " Hybrid Decals/emblems ".

Basically, the side decals are easily removed with a hair dryer. Just heat them up and peel them back. If there is any residue remaining, use some Goo-off and then clean and wax the area. The window decals are removed in a similar manner. The emblems can be removed with the hairdryer and fishing line or kevlar dental floss. Heat them up and run the line behind them to detach. Some people just heat the heck out of them and pull. Leave the green "H" symbols as they are required by law in many states, but Tahoe, Two-mode, etc are easily removed. Remaining residue can be heated up and rubbed off with your fingers. Also leave the large Chevy symbol on the rear hatch handle as there are 2 holes and an indent behind it that would require fill and paint.

Sorry, just noticed you have a Yukon. I imagine the emblem removal tips are similar though.

jet1 03-14-2009 04:57 PM

I think your dealer is confused..

...the decals have nothing to do with safety. The metal/plastic hybrid emblems however notify CFR folks that you are in a hybrid. :zip:

nicka 03-14-2009 07:41 PM

Obviously your service manager doesn't keep up with the Service information as he or she should. Tell them to refer to Document #08-08-111-001G: Decal Removal on Front and Rear Windshield on Hybrid Vehicles - (Jan 22, 2009) It even gives them the labor ops to get paid. Pretty sad when a customer has to show the service manager the bulletin he got on a forum. This is exactly why people hate going to the dealer for service. As a former service manager it makes me sick :(

#08-08-111-001G: Decal Removal on Front and Rear Windshield on Hybrid Vehicles - (Jan 22, 2009)

Subject: Decal Removal on Front and Rear Windshield on Hybrid Vehicles

Models: 2009 Cadillac Escalade Hybrid
Built Prior to November 1, 2008
2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid, Tahoe Hybrid
2008-2009 GMC Yukon Hybrid
2008-2009 Saturn AURA Hybrid, VUE Hybrid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This bulletin is being revised to add build date information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-08-111-001F (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of this bulletin is to address the removal of hybrid decals in states that have a restriction on the usage of graphics on the front and rear glass. Additionally, some customers may want all the hybrid vinyl graphics (front/rear glass and door graphics) removed from the vehicle. You may use this bulletin to fulfill the customer's request in any state/province at no cost to the customer.

Removal Procedure
1) Heat the decal using a heat gun J 25070 152 mm (6 in) from the surface.
2) Apply the heat using a circular motion for about 30 seconds.
Notice: Always use a plastic, flat-bladed tool to prevent surface damage when removing a decal, emblem or name plate.
3) Remove the emblem from the surface using a plastic, flat-bladed tool.
4) Remove all adhesive from the surface using 3M™ Scotch Brite molding adhesive remover disk, 3M™ P/N 07501, or equivalent.
5)Clean the surface using 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner P/N 08984, or equivalent.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation Description Labor Time
B9834* Decal Removal Front or Rear Glass - Hybrid 0.3 hr

Add Removal of Each Additional Decal 0.3 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

nicka 03-14-2009 07:44 PM

Also, be sure to note that it specifically states that they should use this bulletin to fulfill the customer's request in any state.

Just for giggles, I would call the service manager and tell him you saw a bulletin on the web, give him the document # above, and tell him you want to make an appointment to have it done by them. If he tries to tell you that there is no such bulletin then print out my post above and take it to him. Don't throw it in his face too hard right off the bat, chances are you will want him to be your friend when you have an issue in the future :)

Cygnus9th 03-14-2009 11:57 PM

My dealer (Shameless plug here: Ron Baker Chevrolet) took them off at my request when they Prepped the Tahoe after I signed the papers. I didn't even know there was a service bulletin until I read about it 3 months ago somewhere.

nfields51 05-15-2009 06:50 PM

wow this is great information. i was actually looking for the same thing about decal removing, weathertech, geo trackers, etc. its just too technical for me. thanks for this, by the way.

Mendel Leisk 05-15-2009 10:03 PM

Besides hybrid logos, most dealerships in our area like to "brand" the back of every car they sell with their dealership decal. Just request no decals or no sale, and it doesn't happen. They'll still likely stick you with a dealership's license plate frame, but it's relatively easy to chuck that ;)

sfarris 05-20-2009 08:20 AM

I bought my car out of state, and they took off all decals before shipping for $100. Not bad price, and didn't leave any imprint or other notice they were there on the vehicle. Previously, I have seen the word Hybrid ghosted on the doors.

I read that the stickers are indeed a safety issue- having them on there keeps the militant Greenies from throwing rocks at you for driving such a big beast!

jet1 05-20-2009 09:16 AM

Lol!

Originally Posted by sfarris (Post 203421)
I bought my car out of state, and they took off all decals before shipping for $100. Not bad price, and didn't leave any imprint or other notice they were there on the vehicle. Previously, I have seen the word Hybrid ghosted on the doors.

I read that the stickers are indeed a safety issue- having them on there keeps the militant Greenies from throwing rocks at you for driving such a big beast!

I had not thought of that aspect! if they would stop yelling long enough to ACTUALLY RESEARCH vehicle and the situation, they might actually LEARN something.....maybe their earth shoes are too tight as they walk to their Volvo to drive home and smoke dope after the big rallies against SUVs. I really liked the ones who torched a bunch of hummvees in calif. a few years ago to protest greenhouse gasses!
;)