does anyone know the weight...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default does anyone know the weight...

of the stock wheel without tire? my yukon is getting a bit tail happy in the snow and im thinking about new tires and maybe larger wheels

Old 12-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: does anyone know the weight...

why not load the rear up with some sand bags? or kitty litter bags?

Old 12-11-2009, 09:36 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default uh......NO

Originally Posted by livvie
why not load the rear up with some sand bags? or kitty litter bags?
its a traction issue with the tires themselves, last year when I got it in jan. they were new but now with 13K on them I think they are losing their ability to handle snow.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: uh......NO

Originally Posted by jet1
its a traction issue with the tires themselves, last year when I got it in jan. they were new but now with 13K on them I think they are losing their ability to handle snow.
That also happened to me. I really like the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 I put my Tahoe. Do a google search of "Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 Reviews" and you will see that they do very well in testing.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's a downside of hard compound low rolling resistance tires; lousy in snow.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I can't really comment on the snow thing or on the wheel weight but on the Prius, many of the folks that live in cold country have two sets of tires. So I would expect the LRR tires are a big issue for contaminated roadway traction. I have only driven our Prius with about 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground from Amarillo to DFW but the snow ended in about 70 miles outside of AMA. It tracked ok but the undercarriage was dragging!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:06 AM

Hi Jet 1 why are you concerned about the weight?

Old 12-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Default Re: uh......NO

Originally Posted by jet1
if it is a traction issue, then it has nothing to do with weight of the wheel. need different tread pattern or snow tires. unless you want a different size rim but remain in the same weight class?

Old 12-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think what jet1 may be getting at is the wheels for the GM hybrids are a lightweight chrome clad aluminum design. I would bet he want to get snow tires and they won't mount easily on his existing wheel or maybe he just want the convenience of a second set of wheels/tires. So the weight would be important in trying to find a comparable wheel. You might ask why not just by the stock wheels...because they are $810 a piece!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:08 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default you guess wrong young jeddi...

Originally Posted by txav8r
I think what jet1 may be getting at is the wheels for the GM hybrids are a lightweight chrome clad aluminum design. I would bet he want to get snow tires and they won't mount easily on his existing wheel or maybe he just want the convenience of a second set of wheels/tires. So the weight would be important in trying to find a comparable wheel. You might ask why not just by the stock wheels...because they are $810 a piece!

well partially anyway....

I am thinking about a second set of wheels perhaps 20's and you are correct about the stock wheel it is a lightweight. Fitting tires to it is no problem but I want to see if I can get a spring summer fall tire in 20" that would be comparable to the stock wheel in weight so I do not have any major changes in my un-spring weight (tires/wheels) and rolling mass. There are a lot of after market wheels on the market but it would be nice to keep the basic dimensions (weight) close to OEM. If I find the right combination I will turn the stock wheels into winter rollers only as you don't really want 20's with snow tires on them. One other option is a just a better all season like the Goodyear fortera triple tread. highly rated in snow rain and dry performance.

Quick Reply: does anyone know the weight...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands