Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   GMC Yukon hybrid 2008 - hybrid battery cell overheating (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/gmc-yukon-hybrid-2008-hybrid-battery-cell-overheating-29167/)

Zachary Warren 10-04-2019 06:46 PM

Re: GMC Yukon hybrid 2008 - hybrid battery cell overheating

So I bought a 2008 hybrid Tahoe has 197,000 miles, has new hybrid batteries, I had the 12v battery replaced after seeing the comments on here but I’m still getting the “service hybrid system” and “service power steering” message on my dash. Have not had any problems out of the power steering and the batteries seem to be fine as they switch to battery mode often. Any ideas? As far as running and starting it does fine.

S Keith 10-04-2019 06:50 PM

new hybrid batteries? How many? Using normal terminology, there is only one, though technically, it is comprised of 40 individual batteries in series.

By "new" do you mean "new from the dealership" new, or just "new" meaning it's new to you? If it's not "NEW from the dealership," it's suspect.

Go to O'Reilly and read the codes so you can actually give us something to work with rather than throwing dozens of random guesses your way.

Zachary Warren 10-04-2019 07:03 PM

New as in brand new all of them how ever you want to phrase it, from hybrid geek. They have a 5 year warranty on them. I’ll get the codes read and get back with you. Thanks

S Keith 10-04-2019 07:16 PM

Ah. So you mean "used" battery. It's suspect.

https://shop.thehybridgeek.com/produ...en-cells-ship/

"new gen cell" doesn't mean "NEW". It means... well. It could just mean that they're newer than 2007.

The only way to get a NEW hybrid battery for GM 2 mode is to buy one from a local or online dealership. Okay... well, you could buy new Toyota packs, break them down and then put them in a GM pack, but most businesses offer products and services to MAKE money, not lose money, so it's HIGHLY unlikely they're going to ship it out to you at a loss and then take in your old worthless core that has nothing salvageable in it, use the case to build another NEW battery and then lose money on it...

dnt1010 10-05-2019 08:05 AM

Zachary;
Good Luck on your adventure, The Hybrid Geek guys seem to have some good reviews on line. Obviously not a totally accurate indicator but definitely better than seeing a bunch of Bad reviews LOL.
If the battery turns out to be a dud hopefully they will honor the warranty for you. There are several parts and pieces inside and all it would take would be an un-torqued attachment nut etc to mess with your battery pack after al I am sure these are assembled by people which tend to have serious flaws Hahaha.
I have not been here at the site in a while because my 09 Tahoe is doing good after I installed a rebuilt battery from BestHybrid. I have logged about 15,000 miles on the rebuilt battery so far. The Tahoe is at 214,000 miles (195k Nov 18 when I purchased) and is purring like a kitten. I am averaging 18.4 mpg over that 15k miles period but consider the lift and oversize wheels and tires and it is not too bad for a 6000lb 4whl drive behemoth that is driven aggressively. It certainly works for me since I use it for work to haul all my equipment and get around those rough muddy jobsites. Mileage reimbursement from the company helps a lot to feed the thirsty beast......

Tahoe_08 10-09-2019 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid (Post 266833)
The hybrid drive will handle it. You will need to totally re-program the engine and hybrid computers to run that

can I put 6.6L duramax? or flex fuel upgrade so i can run CNG? it would save a ton of money at this point in time a GGE would save $2.40 per GGE (it's $2.03 GGE right now)
plus it's future proof (i'd be laughing when gas runs out while my CNG is still kicking it around town) i'll have the road to my self
E85 will be available soon locally as well (i don't have flex fuel)

Also i thought the ECM was encrypted on the hybrid? or has it been hacked all ready?

If this is not true I really want it to go to auto stop, like at 39MPH(instead of 29mph) and turn the engine on at 39MPH as well (keep normal demand setting as not to destroy the battery) this would improve my MPG by a lot

at 41mph i would all ready be in optimal speed range (best MPH to MPG ratio) it reads 41mpg instant on the DIC computer at a steady 41mph...

maybe it's a gear sync issue with the transmission that prevents this ?

I KNOW the CVT can do 40MPH I have Tested many different speeds it switches to the 4 speed auto at 45mph or so (100% undetectable but as noted by the engine RPM change as it will go just ever slightly so higher) so 39mph would be the absolute limit for it ..as not to damage the CVT part

AFM can go to about 80MPH 1800RPM have not test higher yet, (garbage freeways) and i don't want to take a chance losing control because of that ON the 405 on the HOV lane if your going fast enough you can catch some air ..

because its gear to my City speed limits and driving style

30mph is like for a normal city where it's 25 to 35mph
my speed limit is 45 to 65mph... it''s about 1 mile between lights..

this would increase my MPG by at lest 2.5mpg on average. locally

mine has a 11 year old battery she still gets 23MPG combined it's pretty consistent at 23mpg or more

my last fill up was 26.4MPG highway and 31MPG city (i found a new better route :) )

Hillbilly_Hybrid 10-10-2019 07:49 AM

Unless you have the ability to completely re-program the Engine and all Hybrid controls NO to the Duramax. The ECM is no longer the lead dog in the team. The hybrid is the master! HP tuners was going to try but I doubt they cracked it.

Auto-Stop above the current value isn't going to happen either. Very long discussion about physics and instantaneous battery power here.

You have four (4) fixed gear ratios where the engine is locked to the drive-shaft and you have two (2) EVT modes.

CNG has been done and the story is on real old threads by Jet1

E85 will not work in your truck.

Your right foot will be your best chance of affecting fuel economy.

Ken from Canada used to average 28 driving from Ottawa to fort Rupert in the Canadian Bush

Tahoe_08 10-10-2019 06:10 PM

CNG is a good bet when fuel prices hit $5-6 a gallon

Cassiegabelman 12-22-2019 11:44 PM

2011 Yukon Denali hybrid has been getting check engine light off and on. I took it to oreily and put it OBD reader and it gave me some codes. Can anyone help me before I go buy a new battery, the dealer I bought it from says it’s the hybrid battery. How do we know it’s the whole thing and not just a cell or something like that? Can someone please help me?
these are the code and thank you in advance !

P0ac4
p0bbd
u0074
u1818
u1820
p1a1f
p1b31
u189a

Tahoe_08 12-23-2019 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cassiegabelman (Post 269598)
2011 Yukon Denali hybrid has been getting check engine light off and on. I took it to oreily and put it OBD reader and it gave me some codes. Can anyone help me before I go buy a new battery, the dealer I bought it from says it’s the hybrid battery. How do we know it’s the whole thing and not just a cell or something like that? Can someone please help me?
these are the code and thank you in advance !

P0ac4
p0bbd
u0074
u1818
u1820
p1a1f
p1b31
u189a

12volt system shut down

A it shorted out somewhere
B 12V+ is dead
C both 12v+ and high voltage batteries are dead

what were you doing when it happened?

if you live here in California(or CARB state)
it should still have some warranty left if it's under 100k miles you will get a free replacement HV battery...

but they will want to test it first

other wise you are going to have to bend over and cough up 2500