Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   Improve GM hybrids? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/improve-gm-hybrids-31405/)

S Keith 09-17-2019 12:33 PM

Re: Improve GM hybrids?

Originally Posted by GMRedline (Post 268777)
1 miles is better than no miles.

Agreed. Any unhealthy cells would need to be addressed.

Yeah. I'll go back to my corner... :)

My idea would require much larger chargers per cell block to regain any real range while driving. hmmm

So I would image you have gone through any possible scenario/solution to convert a 2-Mode GM Hybrid to a pseudo PHEV?

I don't own a GM 2 mode hybrid. But I would like to own a GM PHEV Truck or SUV. Short of finding a Via Motors VTRUX I just have to wait for GM to release one?

There are examples of PHEV conversion for the Prius. They would likely apply similarly to GM mode 2.

Hillbilly_Hybrid 09-19-2019 07:28 AM

Steve, regarding off grid 220V inverters for well pumps, please contact me Now I need help.

Tahoe_08 10-13-2019 02:51 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...0800ee589d.jpg

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 268780)
There are examples of PHEV conversion for the Prius. They would likely apply similarly to GM mode 2.

if you have a tech2 you can grid tie your High voltage pack via the 12volt system (Bi-driectional)

there is some newer battery packs modules out there that will lower the ESR (More Modules in parallel )

the modules are better at removing heat aka better air flow which helps as wel

We will always have batteries available for the Tahoe thanks in part to GM using off the shelf Panasonic Prius modules

Equivalent series resistance(ESR)
Ω
is your enemy when trying to recharge or discharge batteries

The longest i have had the Tahoe in EV mode was 9 miles
Yes 9 miles a WORLD RECORD

it was on a 9 miles down hill slop maybe 2% down hill grade i keep it around 25mph

i averaged 28.7 miles per gallon over 200miles combined

Honestly I feel the battery pack has rejuvenated it by doing this.... I seem to be getting more Auto stop lately and it last much longer now

I would rather just go with a CNG setup rather then try and mess with the electrical( you can fit a tank where the spare tire would have gone and delete the second muffler ( you only need 1 to be legal anyways since it's just for sound).

CNG is pretty cheap and what will be used once oil runs out...(with in the next several years it might be a good bet once prices get to the point of being not affordable )

(NOx are not much of a issue since it has VVT system someone did try it and it reporting that it was too clean and set a P0420/P0430.. LOL

S Keith 10-13-2019 09:36 PM

Not sure WTF you're talking about, but the "D" cell conversion packs are complete and total garbage.

Tahoe_08 10-13-2019 11:39 PM

tried them?

S Keith 10-14-2019 06:07 AM

Yes. You are very susceptible to misleading marketing. One need look no further than Consumer Reports hybrid battery reliability data to see that the Honda "D" cell packs, which were designed as "D" cell packs from the beginning with "D" cell cooling systems, have 8-15X higher failure rate vs.prismatic. These cells were made by PANASONIC/TOYOTA, not Chinese manufacturers.

The Prismatic battery cooling systems are designed for prismatic modules. When you install a "D" cell module, you completely change the cooling dynamics. "feel" tests of airflow through the pack shows vastly uneven cooling flow. The same "feel" test with prismatic modules shows only slightly uneven flow.

Uneven flow = greater flow at the stagnation pressure end vs.the inlet end. With prismatic, flow can be felt along the entire length with more flow at the stagnation pressure end and less flow at the inlet end. With "D" cells, you get massive flow at the stagnation end and no flow for 3/4 of the pack starting at the inlet end.

I did a "heat soak" test. Parked the car with the "D" cell battery at 130 deg F. Checked it 3 more times approx 20 minutes apart over next hour, and it peaked at 150 deg F - HV battery provided zero current in or out that entire time. Prismatic peaks at +7 deg F after being parked.

"D" cells are also 2X the section thickness of the prismatic cells with 15% less surface area per unit volume. That means a hotter cell core and less cooling surface.

The "D" cell replacement packs for prismatics are nothing more than the Chinese trying to find a market for their garbage now that the Honda aftermarket is saturated and in decline.