New Owner... A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New Owner... A few questions

Thank you for your response. I look forward to hearing what your dealer has to say on the issue. Best, Johnny

Old 01-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Chevy Man

Unfortunately it was pretty straight forward and it had the exact symptoms that matched a preliminary information bulletin from GM. After diagnosing the vehicle and speaking with GM the dealer diagnosed the vehicle as needing a new engine . Apparently GM is aware that some of the trucks out there have had this issue. Kind of sucks mine is one of them. See the Preliminary Information bulletin below that I copied and pasted. I have underlined the specifics that matched my complaints and diagnosis. He showed me the spark plug and it was coved in oil:

Subject: SES Light, Blue Exhaust Smoke, Misfire, Oil Consumption and/or Fouled #1 Spark Plug - Replace Engine

Models: 2009 Cadillac Escalade Hybrid
2008-2009 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid
2008-2009 GMC Yukon Hybrid
with 6.0L Engine (RPO LFA)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain of an engine misfire, oil consumption, blue exhaust smoke, and/or an SES light. Upon inspection, oil deposits will be found on the #1 spark plug causing cylinder 1 to misfire and set DTCs P0300 and/or P0301. Typically, this will not occur until the vehicle has accumulated at least 8,000 miles. This may be the result of excess oil splashing onto the #1 cylinder wall due to a worn #1 cam bearing. This excess oil may eventually get into the combustion chamber and foul the #1 spark plug causing the engine misfire and SES light.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of this concern, inspect the #1 spark plug for excessive oil deposits. If excessive deposits are present, replace the engine assembly. Before ordering a replacement engine, gather the engine unit numbers, generate an engine replacement estimate, and contact the PQC 1-866-654-7654 for pre-authorization as outlined in 02-07-30-029L.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Last edited by nicka; 01-06-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Chevy Man

I just want to point out that I don't think anyone should panic and think that their truck is going to have this issue and start looking for it after 8K miles. Don't go running to your dealer if you don't have your SES (Check engine light) coming on or you don't feel your engine/truck shaking like it is misfiring. Agian, this is NOT a recall, service bulletin, or anything that is VIN specific right now. A PI bulletin is designed for helping dealers diagnose conditions and does not mean that this is a wide spread occurance. Enjoy your smooth ride and I will be the sucker that has to be without my truck for several days while I get a new engine . I am curious to see how many others have actually had to have the entire engine replaced. Unfortunately I don't think there will ever be a way to tell.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Nick for the detailed explanation. This type of information is useful, even if none of us have to go through it.

Tom

Old 01-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'll be waiting for my SES light to come on. I have that shake, but don't notice that much since the engine goes into auto-stop at idle.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Chevy Man

Ed, if you have that shake and have close to or over 5000 miles I would have the dealer check it out at your convenience. It is actually pretty simple for them to verify a misfire using the computer and they just have to pull out the #1 plug to check it. It will not always set a DTC to turn on the SES light. The only reason I noticed mine is that since it is so cold here in CT right now it takes a good 20 to 30 minutes of driving before the truck warms up enough to go into autostop mode.

Again, unless you have the shake or a SES light on I wouldn't worry, but if you exhibit a symptom you should get it checked out sooner than later.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nicka
Ed, if you have that shake and have close to or over 5000 miles I would have the dealer check it out at your convenience. It is actually pretty simple for them to verify a misfire using the computer and they just have to pull out the #1 plug to check it. It will not always set a DTC to turn on the SES light. The only reason I noticed mine is that since it is so cold here in CT right now it takes a good 20 to 30 minutes of driving before the truck warms up enough to go into autostop mode.

Again, unless you have the shake or a SES light on I wouldn't worry, but if you exhibit a symptom you should get it checked out sooner than later.

Thanks, I am closer to 7k. So I will contact my dealer.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Nicka! Sorry for what you have to go through, but at least GM is still taking care of issues. Is there any indication this problem is hybrid-specific? I would think non-hybrid Tahoes and Suburbans may be affected. If so, the problem is rare indeed.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Chevy Man

According to this PI, it is only the Hybrids.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

When I picked up my 09 Hybrid on 12/27 the dealer handed over an envelope containing the NAV disks and the box containing the headphones.

The NAV disk given was for a Caddy system and was one disk of a set. That did not work! According to the dealer the 09 disk is on back order and maybe another couple of weeks. Anyone have the 09 disk?

There were two sets of headphones supplied in the GM box. I used to own a Honda Odyssey and still have the extra set of IR headphones and they work! Now my sons are split over who wears what. One wears Chevy and one wears the Honda version. For anyone that does not know, the Honda version is lighter, and to me more comfortable. Only takes one AAA battery vs. two AA batteries in the GM model. To me there is a slight 'fuzziness' to the Honda version. YMMV

Also...I test drove a 6.2 Denali with 9mpg city/14mpg highway and loved the engine response and the sound. I was a little disbelieving that the 6.0/hybrid could put out horsepower and economy but having owned and driven one for 1000 miles, I am a believer.

Quick Reply: New Owner... A few questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands