Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   Service Hybrid System 2013 Yukon (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/service-hybrid-system-2013-yukon-31738/)

BamaDawg 10-04-2020 08:40 AM

Re: Service Hybrid System 2013 Yukon

OK all. Texas is still warm but now my the "Service Hybrid System" comes on every start. Still no codes checked it with 3 readers again, no issues appear to be happening drives all nice and normal. I clear it and it will come back a few times over an hour drive or so, then will stay off. The battery in Torque is still in great shape pushing out really good readings that Keith confirmed last year might be some of the best he has seen on a battery.

Any thoughts? Will the Service Hybrid System go away if I disconnect the 12 volt battery for a time period and stay gone for a while. About to have a 1800 mile road trip.

Thx, Paul

dnt1010 10-04-2020 10:28 AM

If the Service Hybrid System Warning is on then there are probably codes associated with that. I guess that they are so GM specific that a std code reader just does not pick it up.
You may have to find someone that has a Tech2 scanner to check it and see what is going on. (take it to a dealer?)
I had pretty good luck at the dealership last time they ran the codes on my 09 Hybrid. They did not charge me anything, since the parts were obsolete.
OK so by "pretty good luck" I meant I did not get charged for dealer diagnosis and saved a ton of money putting on salvage parts and using a independent garage...

lvflyer 10-04-2020 10:56 AM

I am going to say this is what the symptoms are for the extended warranty issue since it comes back on while driving, but may also be related to the Serial Data Gateway Module as discussed in this thread. I am not sure if you can install a salvaged Module and not have to have it programmed by a Tech2 scanner. I just clear mine when I start and it never comes back on unless I shut it down and restart.

Justgabe2 10-19-2020 05:25 AM

Hello All!
found this thread and I have been dealing with the “Service Hybrid System” for 3 years now! When it first came on, there was no start/crank lights came on and everything else but would not start. Towed to dealer, after module changes, computer changes, nothing, than it was “need a new hybrid battery” wanted to charge over 7,000.00, ended up having a green bean battery installed on the street for roughly 2,500. Started right up. But the “service hybrid system” didn’t clear, tech said it should go away eventually, never did. Took it to multiple dealers, all stumped, can’t find anything wrong. Til this day every start I press the button to clear it and never comes on until next start.
I’m just hoping it continues to run with no issues until the wheels fall off at this point lol
The green bean battery has a five year warranty as well. I know it’s not the best but everything has been fine for over a year now with no issues except the stupid message that came on prior to the battery being replaced. hoping to get that message cleared through the help of this forum because not one GM dealership has found anything wrong with “zero codes” supposedly. I’m chalking it up to just inexperience when it comes to this specific hybrid system or just plain ol laziness. I’ve found more answers on what it could be on this thread than an actual dealership lol
-2010 Yukon Denali Hybrid

lvflyer 10-19-2020 10:18 AM

That's the biggest problem with dealers. They stopped producing these in 2013 and even then there were only 800 on the road. No techs and no help from GM. I'm told it is the Serial Data Gateway Bus by the passenger airbag, but am told by dealer they won't work with a salvaged unit and they don't make the module anymore. I have found however that the module is common even among non hybrid models so why don't they have a cross reference. I am coming to a conclusion it is laziness on the part of the service managers. I took 3 trips and 5 days to get my hybrid modules replaced under the extended warranty. Now I still have the warning message that I clear every time I start it, but no other symptoms. I think it is a residual code stuck in memory that can't be cleared without deep programming. I wish an engineer of the 2 stage system would chime in.

Jaime 10-20-2020 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Justgabe2 (Post 271596)
Hello All!
found this thread and I have been dealing with the “Service Hybrid System” for 3 years now! When it first came on, there was no start/crank lights came on and everything else but would not start. Towed to dealer, after module changes, computer changes, nothing, than it was “need a new hybrid battery” wanted to charge over 7,000.00, ended up having a green bean battery installed on the street for roughly 2,500. Started right up. But the “service hybrid system” didn’t clear, tech said it should go away eventually, never did. Took it to multiple dealers, all stumped, can’t find anything wrong. Til this day every start I press the button to clear it and never comes on until next start.
I’m just hoping it continues to run with no issues until the wheels fall off at this point lol
The green bean battery has a five year warranty as well. I know it’s not the best but everything has been fine for over a year now with no issues except the stupid message that came on prior to the battery being replaced. hoping to get that message cleared through the help of this forum because not one GM dealership has found anything wrong with “zero codes” supposedly. I’m chalking it up to just inexperience when it comes to this specific hybrid system or just plain ol laziness. I’ve found more answers on what it could be on this thread than an actual dealership lol
-2010 Yukon Denali Hybrid

Pull the OBD codes with a scanner to get an idea of what is causing that message to appear.

lvflyer 10-22-2020 10:01 AM

You can't get with OBD scanner. It is too deep.

S Keith 10-22-2020 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by lvflyer (Post 271610)
You can't get with OBD scanner. It is too deep.

Doubt that. Any Snap-On or professional grade scanner should read something "deep". There are plenty of codes that a $15 OBDII scanner can't get because they manufacturer specific. That doesn't mean they're unreadable.

lvflyer 10-22-2020 02:53 PM

That's what I meant. Basic OBD. A Snap-On could read mine at the module code, but couldn't reset nor figure out any internal codes. I still think it is a locked code that wasn't reset when the module was replaced under extended warranty.

S Keith 10-22-2020 02:56 PM

"Locked' or permanent codes are self-resetting when criteria are met. IF a module needs to be programmed to a specific VIN or other requirement, it's locked because it's sensing the mis-match. The only way to fix it is to properly program the module.

lvflyer 10-22-2020 03:05 PM

Is it possible during the replacement of the Accessory Power Module https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...81063-0335.pdf that the dealer accidentally deprogrammed the Serial Data Gateway Bus? That is the code that comes up, but I don't get any symptoms besides the 'Service Hybrid System" message on the DTC.

lvflyer 10-26-2020 01:22 PM

I just came across something that may be related to my issue. Would appreciate some expert analysis. My 2013 Yukon use to have a great ride, even mentioned by my Uber passengers. I don't drive Uber anymore, but now it seems the ride is really harsh on small bumps and expansion joints when slow, but great on new pavement. I just read that the magnetic ride system goes through the Serial Data Gateway Module. Is it possible because that module, according to the dealer service department, is the cause for the Service Hybrid System message that it is causing a rough ride? If so can I temporarily bypass the system to see if the ride improves? This has rear air-ride so I am not sure if the rear struts are magnetic also. Ride leveling works when loaded so shocks aren't leaking. Seems the roughness is from the front. I read somewhere to add a spacer on the ride height sensor on the front to fool the computer to soften the magnetic system in the front. Anyone have any insight?

BamaDawg 12-28-2020 08:37 AM

Ok, I finally got to the GMC dealer in Grapevine, TX to have the Accessory Module replaced under the extended warranty. Yes no charge thanks lvflyer for the info. They then cleared all the codes. Yet the Service Hybrid System still came on, but NO other codes are thrown. If you remember it was coming on about every 20-30 minutes. Now it only comes on at start and like lvflyer, once I clear it with the button, it never comes back until I turn the Yukon off and restart. The dealer tech spent 5 hours on it and on the phone with others techs he knows have worked on Hybrids elsewhere in the country. The only code showing is b-1000 in the Serial Data Gateway Bus and he said that code has NOTHING to do with the Hybrid System and that he has confirmed that with 2 other techs. They did offer to try and get a Serial Gateway Bus, I said hold off on that. My Yukon Denali did come with magnetic ride and rear air adjust. I had the front shocks replaced with Arnott replacements and Magnaride bypass plugs to trick the system to think the magnarides are still there and new factory rear air shocks. The codes did not change their pattern at that time so probably no correlation.

Where the dealer and I left it. Go and and see if anything else happens and they will keep researching. In the 2 weeks nothing has happened other than daily turning off the Service notice and it stays gone until restart with my reader no codes as well.

The Dealer also asked if I had a brand new battery because it trends on all their meters as a brand new battery. So great confirmation to S Keith's evaluation method of my battery readings a year ago.

Will update if I get any changes or the dealer comes up with something. Otherwise I will go forward pushing a reset button every start up.

lvflyer 12-28-2020 04:52 PM

Sounds identical to mine. At least I have backup now, I'm not crazy. I think it is a residual code that is not cleared in normal way. What happened to all the 2-mode engineers? GMC won't even try to analyze it for me since I don't want to pay a tech to spin their wheels. Let me know if the research turns up anything. Dealer here wanted $1500 to install a SDGB. I would think there would be other symptoms. What I have discovered is the SDGB is the same on all GM SUVs and maybe trucks. Problem is if I get a salvaged one the dealer won't program for my vehicle.

Daniel Grosch 01-09-2021 11:23 AM

I was having the same message for a while once it started getting cold. No other issues. I also saw the service bulletin but I think it was for a different code. The dealership replaced the serial gateway data module 3 days ago and I haven’t gotten the service hybrid message yet. My truck was only there for 2 days so apparently the part isn’t that hard to come by. Gm actually called me to replace my airbags as for the recall. The dealership told me they can save me $100 since they already had it open. Apparently the SGDM is next to the airbag. Ended up costing me $300. The airbag was covered by GM.

BamaDawg 01-09-2021 12:36 PM

Daniel, do you have information on the airbag recall? Wondering if mine is in a recall. Paul

Daniel Grosch 01-10-2021 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by BamaDawg (Post 272112)
Daniel, do you have information on the airbag recall? Wondering if mine is in a recall. Paul

i don’t. GM just randomly called me a couple weeks ago. You can prob find something on google, call up GM or the dealership though. Mine is a 2011. I’m guessing they’re all the same

BamaDawg 01-11-2021 06:18 AM

Thanks Daniel. I should have just checked my vin on the GM Recall sight instead of asking. It came to mind moments after I hit reply.
Since I gained the knowledge I might as well share it -

To check to see if your 2007-2013 Yukon, Tahoe or Escalade or (any GM vehicle) has any recalls including air bags go here and put in your VIN number https://my.gm.com/recalls

You can also go here to check any auto manufacturer for recalls by VIN
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Kpauto 10-07-2022 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel Grosch (Post 272111)
I was having the same message for a while once it started getting cold. No other issues. I also saw the service bulletin but I think it was for a different code. The dealership replaced the serial gateway data module 3 days ago and I haven’t gotten the service hybrid message yet. My truck was only there for 2 days so apparently the part isn’t that hard to come by. Gm actually called me to replace my airbags as for the recall. The dealership told me they can save me $100 since they already had it open. Apparently the SGDM is next to the airbag. Ended up costing me $300. The airbag was covered by GM.

omg ive had this message for over a year now. Finally took it to the dealer and they said they need to replace the serial data gateway module. Stating that the SDGM i have is bad and therefore cannot have communication to be reprogrammed. The dealers that do have it will not sell it to the dealer where my car is at. So my dealer has contacted GM to contact those dealers to try to convince them to sell to my dealer. So replacing this module fixed the service hybrid system message? Also did anyone have success by putting in a used unit without having it reprogrammed? Trying to fix this so i can sell the vehicle. Although this msg has no problems, it will definitely scare away any car buyers.

??? 10-08-2022 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kpauto (Post 275982)
omg ive had this message for over a year now. Finally took it to the dealer and they said they need to replace the serial data gateway module. Stating that the SDGM i have is bad and therefore cannot have communication to be reprogrammed. The dealers that do have it will not sell it to the dealer where my car is at. So my dealer has contacted GM to contact those dealers to try to convince them to sell to my dealer. So replacing this module fixed the service hybrid system message? Also did anyone have success by putting in a used unit without having it reprogrammed? Trying to fix this so i can sell the vehicle. Although this msg has no problems, it will definitely scare away any car buyers.

mine hasn't had this problem yet but from reading thru this thread, replacing that module seems to fix it.

​​​​​​if it was me, I'd look for a used one, install it and if it worked sweet, if not, I'd go to the dealer and ask them to flash the modual with the latest software. probably cost and hour labor. I wouldn't bring up that I changed it out or anything. just tell them you want that specific module programed with the latest gm software.

hopeful you get it sorted. seems like some successful posts in this thread. the issues seem to be finding the module for some reason or the dealership just being a hassle to work with. you can find local shops that can program modules after replacing them too. it's just a service they have to pay for monthly from gm to access. so you'll have to find one that does enough of that kinda work for it to be worth while to pay for the service. there's also some very long threads about what it takes to program modules yourself as well. 200$ tool, a older laptop, fiddle with the software downloads and pay gm 65$ I think it was for 45day access? something like that if you wanted to go down that rabbit hole the info is out there.

Kpauto 10-08-2022 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by ??? (Post 275987)
mine hasn't had this problem yet but from reading thru this thread, replacing that module seems to fix it.

​​​​​​if it was me, I'd look for a used one, install it and if it worked sweet, if not, I'd go to the dealer and ask them to flash the modual with the latest software. probably cost and hour labor. I wouldn't bring up that I changed it out or anything. just tell them you want that specific module programed with the latest gm software.

hopeful you get it sorted. seems like some successful posts in this thread. the issues seem to be finding the module for some reason or the dealership just being a hassle to work with. you can find local shops that can program modules after replacing them too. it's just a service they have to pay for monthly from gm to access. so you'll have to find one that does enough of that kinda work for it to be worth while to pay for the service. there's also some very long threads about what it takes to program modules yourself as well. 200$ tool, a older laptop, fiddle with the software downloads and pay gm 65$ I think it was for 45day access? something like that if you wanted to go down that rabbit hole the info is out there.

I was able to order a new one online from a gm dealer. For $180 shipped. Dealer has already quoted me $
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...69217f3916.jpg
599 plus $199 for the diagnostics. Hope this solves it. Will be getting module on 10/18. Will update once i drop unit off to dealer for repairs. Fingers crossed. Thanks