Small Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Small Forum

About an even 20. The last few tanks have clicked up a bit. As the weather gets milder I'm hoping to see a 21+ average.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Nice, I have only burned about 1/2 tank. So far 17.8 avg

Old 10-09-2008, 11:05 PM
04 prius 350,000km

tijbbari is right on the money when it comes to the prius!

if you really wanted to, you can learn how to program an x-gauge a scangauge and then use its data retrieving information to get details like "brake pedal position" "battery temp" "battery voltage" "battery current" and of course any other nerd detail you can get your hands on.

Although it requires reading the "X-gauge" for dummies guide on the main web site of the scangauge and its supporting forum cleanmpg.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

I wonder if EFI would scan that info. Guess I'll plug it in and see what PID's I can see.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tijbbari
To be honest, I'm not sure I've seen it either, but surely the batteries charge when the ICE is running. This seems to be one of the limitations of the GM display. In the Prius, I know it shows the arrows as well as the number of bars indicating charge.
I just noticed this afternoon the ICE was only running (at idle) and it showed the battery charging.

Never noticed that while driving. Will watch it closer.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:04 PM
04 prius 350,000km

hm can you tell your instant mpg while accelerating?

for my prius its

5-10 mpg hard acceleration
10-15 mpg medium acceleration
15-30 mpg light acceleration or near cruising but speed still increasing by single digits
40 mpg + cruising and putting power back into the battery pack

but nothing beats engine off coasting! and then using one of the variables above to bring the speed up just so one can coast with the engine off again!

the same variables can be used on hills too, but pentalize yourself for even lower speeds and more uphill time, however, you will not be affected by aerodynamic drag as much and being able to keep the engine in its efficient rpm, assuming no one is behind you

Old 10-10-2008, 09:08 PM
04 prius 350,000km

don't forget to increase the tire pressure as hard as you can stand it! can't coast when your inducing friction all the time. I notice some tahoe/yukon hybrids come with a dampen on demand feature with the shocks, so I wonder if you were to increase the tire pressure the shocks would automatically compensate for the harden ride

Old 10-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast

I have to chuckle to myself. Considering the K&N will never need replacing, I'm not sure why I would have to prove *anyone* wrong. Furthermore, using synthetic oil as opposed to conventional mineral based oil is to ensure the oil I put in today will perform virtually the same when I have 3k (or more) miles on it. Here's a primer for those who wish to see a side-by-side comparison:
http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-chang...-to-synthetic/

From the article:
"Viscosity is a crucial consideration when improvements in fuel economy are desired. It stands to reason that the freer an engine turns, the less fuel it will require to accomplish a given amount of work. Studies have demonstrated conclusively that engine drag is directly related to the viscosity of the motor oil. Generally speaking, the lower the viscosity, the better the fuel economy of the engine."

Old 10-12-2008, 01:39 PM
04 prius 350,000km

i work in the dealership, and we've just seen K and N filters so dirty that cleaning them is a hassle and re-oiling them is a ***** that's all. I also seen some people oil it too much to the point it gets sucked into the intake valves, but of course that's a rare case.

i'm still skeptical of a filter that last forever though, and IMO i still K/N is about performance and not efficiency.

but yes using lower viscosity does help, just the level of protection is an issue, however i got theories if the viscosity is lower the oil can reach peak tempera rues much quicker, making short trips not contaminating the oil as fast.

edit: good article I like!!! Good reasons for me to sell more syn oil at my work even though I only offer Mobil 1 or "Toyota Full Synthetic oil manufactured from Canada." Which some believe is a rebaged Mobil 1

It is also important to note that, contrary to what many take for granted, higher viscosity in and of itself does not translate into better engine protection. Extensive testing has shown the opposite to be in fact true. As long as a lower-viscosity oil is formulated to resist evaporation and provide high film strength, this lighter oil will actually deliver more complete protection to the engine parts, since its more rapid circulation delivers both better lubrication per se, and far better cooling characteristics...a critical advantage, given that oil flow furnishes up to 30% of an engines cooling requirements. Prior to the introduction of synthetics, however, the problem of evaporation, (and the resultant thickening of the remaining oil), was addressed primarily by increasing viscosity. In short, don't be concerned with the relatively lower viscosity ratings of some synthetics. Syn lubes are a whole new ball game

Last edited by philmcneal; 10-12-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think its pretty is low. Something like 3-7 mph on hard acceleration.

Originally Posted by philmcneal
hm can you tell your instant mpg while accelerating?

for my prius its

5-10 mpg hard acceleration
10-15 mpg medium acceleration
15-30 mpg light acceleration or near cruising but speed still increasing by single digits
40 mpg + cruising and putting power back into the battery pack

but nothing beats engine off coasting! and then using one of the variables above to bring the speed up just so one can coast with the engine off again!

the same variables can be used on hills too, but pentalize yourself for even lower speeds and more uphill time, however, you will not be affected by aerodynamic drag as much and being able to keep the engine in its efficient rpm, assuming no one is behind you

Quick Reply: Small Forum

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands