Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   Tahoe dilemma - Will not start (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/tahoe-dilemma-will-not-start-21138/)

heavychevy 02-26-2009 12:13 PM

Tahoe dilemma - Will not start

First off, I had no idea of all the technicalities involved in driving this vehicle. My husband bought this truck in 12/08 and we've had no problems until now. After browsing this site I see all the info. regarding batteries, checking the battery reading etc., how stuff drains the battery.....
Well while driving today on the expressway my truck started to slow down then ceased to exellerate all together. I was heading to the gas station so I thought that was the issue as the symptoms were sort of like running out of gas. After reading this and bc of what happens next I'm not so sure. So we get gas....truck acts likes it's going to start then it doesn't. Mind you, the whole time I'm waiting for gas about an hour I'm listening to the radio (figure this just MAY be key in helping you guys help me diagnose this). It turns over chugs a bit, I give it some gas, it cuts off. On star sent a tow truck it's towed to the gas station, pump gas, still no luck.
So we tow it to the house tow driver doesn't know how to jump it, neither do we...we get out manual....still nothing. Husband had to return to work for the time being so I'm researching so I can have my truck back.....I really like it. Any ideas? Anything similar? Anything I can check if anyone's ever experienced this?

I'm guessing I'll definitely be sending her to the dealer as we haven't had a software update but I'm not sure if we're due for one either.

No one at the dealer ever told us about the battery issue or that the batteries need to be replaced often :zip: Please help this is crazy!!!

Canuck 02-26-2009 01:31 PM

Re: Tahoe dilemma - Will not start

Originally Posted by Gruson (Post 198278)
If your truck was made before 3/08, you most likely need the battery replaced. There is a service bulletin posted in a thread below.

I just found out mine was built on 1/08 and am going to the dealership tonight...before any problems come up.

I can't find the service bulletin regarding battery replacement. Can you direct me the thread? Thanks!

heavychevy 02-26-2009 03:12 PM

Dumb ???'s

How do I find out when my truck was made?
I'd like to jump the truck but I've seen conflicting reports on how to do it cables vs starter pac.....does anyone know if the owners Manual for the Tahoe is available on-line?

After lurking around the site it seems a lot of us are having this issue as of late. I'm thinking mine is a battery issue too though I'd still like to hear from others to see if my scenario meshes with anyone elses.

So now I need to know the proper way to jump the truck to test this theory and then ......do all chevy dealers have a certified hybrid tech onsite? I'd hope you don't have to request one when you take the vehicle in but I don't mind asking.....wondering if I should call dealerships to find out just in case the truck doesn't jump and needs to be towed.

heavychevy 02-26-2009 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by heavychevy (Post 198276)
Well while driving today on the expressway my truck started to slow down then ceased to exellerate all together. I was heading to the gas station so I thought that was the issue as the symptoms were sort of like running out of gas. After reading this and bc of what happens next I'm not so sure. So we get gas....truck acts likes it's going to start then it doesn't. Mind you, the whole time I'm waiting for gas about an hour I'm listening to the radio (figure this just MAY be key in helping you guys help me diagnose this). It turns over chugs a bit, I give it some gas, it cuts off. On star sent a tow truck it's towed to the gas station, pump gas, still no luck.
So we tow it to the house tow driver doesn't know how to jump it, neither do we...we get out manual....still nothing. !!!

So above is my issues *update*
went out to truck, still does nothing but I wanted to see if I got any codes like I've read here...it says service stabilitrak soon. But while on the e-way I had no problems in general untill I couldn't excellerate- could the inability to "drive" be a result of this code? I just find this overwhelming as at first it "tried to start" it puttered like it needed gas- or the way a car would if the transmission needs work. But when it didn't start it turned into a whole other issue.... still wondering if it's the battery.

BTW can anyone recommend how to jump start the truck or reply about the manual .... cables??? jumper pack????:cry:

jet1 02-26-2009 04:56 PM

you should have had it towed to the dealer

check around and find a large dealership and make sure they have a certified tech. its under warranty and I think its lots better to get documentation from the get go, especially if its a common problem. keep us informed as to what you find!

heavychevy 02-26-2009 07:11 PM

Well Onstar recommended one but being new to GA we weren't familiar with the area where the dealer was located. We'll be taking it to a dealer it may just be the one we bought it from

nicka 02-26-2009 07:12 PM

It sounds like you have more than 1 problem. I would think that you possibly have a 12V battery problem with regards to starting. However, your initial issue while it was running sounds like something else which could have helped contribute to the 12V battery not getting charged.

As for jump starting, there is a specific way recommended in your manual. However, I know from personal experience that it is possible to jump it just like any other vehicle. Mine was started the other night by having a heavy duty battery pack attached to the positive and negative posts on the 12V battery for about 3 minutes and then while it was still attached it started. That being said, it sounds like even if you got it started you would have issues driving. I would NOT drive this vehicle once it was started. Have it towed to a dealership first thing tomorrow.

I would not pay attention to any warning lights on at this point as when the battery is weak you will get multiple warnings, usually false, due to low voltage.

Any dealer that sells the Hybrid is supposed to be required ot have at least one Hybrid tech.

heavychevy 02-26-2009 08:34 PM

Will post tomorrow with updates........thx

Canuck 02-26-2009 09:16 PM

Re: Dumb ???'s

Originally Posted by heavychevy (Post 198291)
How do I find out when my truck was made?

I just looked in the driver's door, very bottom sticker, top right side... mine says 06/08.

Defender 02-27-2009 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by heavychevy (Post 198319)
Well Onstar recommended one but being new to GA we weren't familiar with the area where the dealer was located. We'll be taking it to a dealer it may just be the one we bought it from

Where are you in GA. The Day's Chevy in North Cobb Pkwy in Acworth has a Certified Hybrid Tech. If you go there, look for Ben LaRue. Just tell him you are in for the same battery issue that he worked on early this month. I guess he would remember. He's great!:) You won't have any problems dealing with them. Good luck getting yours fixed.