winter mileage VS summer mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: winter mileage VS summer mileage

Some things I have learned in using the remote start this winter: (1) The doors must be locked or it won't work (2) The engine will turn off after a while (3) You can only do it twice then you must use the key to start it again.

When it was really cold (-10 to -20C) and I had the vehicle parked during the winter holidays, I used the remote start since I couldn't find a block heater and learned that a block heater is an option on these vehicles - only 3 options: sunroof, DVD and block heater. I didn't want the vehicle to sit very cold for too long so I would use the remote start. Since I was in a small town with no thefts, there is no need to lock vehicles - no one locks their houses - but I had to lock the vehicle to get it to work. I was concerned that if I left the keys in it running, I would forget about it so the remote start was great - it turned itself off when it warmed up if I forgot to.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Go Redskins/Go Yankees

The remote start last 5 minutes on regular remotes and you can use it twice at the same time for 10 minutes total. The two way remote that I have allows you 10 minutes from start and will shut off for next time after you use your key to start the truck. The seat warmers, heat or AC dependes on the outside temperature. The truck will automatically select the right setting. I think that I read it in the manual a while ago.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks all for yoru feedback, very helpfull
I read about teh 10 period then it shuts down and you can extened that period for another 10 mins

Old 01-19-2010, 04:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I believe that both the standard and advanced remote starts will start the vehicle twice before the key needs to be used for 10 mins. Jet 1 confirmed this once before as he thought I had a special addition Star Trek comminicator but I told him it was a Klingon matter anti matter controller

Old 01-21-2010, 03:16 AM

I noticed today, my Tahoe seat heaters do not turn on with remote start?
Can someone confirm that pls
Thanks

Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 AM

Mine do but it is much colder here in Michigan Guss. -8C this morning. There may be an outside air temperature threshold or even a set-up menu from DIC for the mirrors and seats. (looking into it) I stopped using it since my 2week break at Christmas and poor FE. But I did have front defrost, rear heated glass, and both front seats heated on my remote starts.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I don't think they offered heated mirrors on the trucks either...but it might have been in a cold climate package or something that I didn't want. The mirrors I would like. Got my tivo set for the 25th Marty!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 AM

Remote start update. There are outside air temp differences. So heated seats, mirrors, and defrost/heat will give way in Summer to AC.

I just don't have the exact air temperatures for these thresholds.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:04 AM

Thanks Marty,
Do I have heated mirrors also? I was wondering about that, I didn't read anything about it in hybrid manual.

so everything is done automaticaally in remot start? there aren't any settings that I can change ?

Thanks

Old 01-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by txav8r
Thanks kc135r, good to know. I am guessing however that the heating system in this '09 is much more efficient than my older '00 Silverado was. It could take 20 miles to get warm at highway speeds when it was in the 20's (F). This truck (interior) warms fast. Can you tell me when you do a remote start in cold weather, the system demands heat but the ICE doesn't run continuously, is it just residual heat that is within the loop? The radiator and the additional coolant reservoirs don't appear to have any insulation. This is an aluminum block, it will lose it's heat fast compared to my old chevy, how do they get it to retain this heat? Like I mentioned before, the Prius pumps a portion of the coolant into a thermos when you shut down and pumps the retained warm coolant back to the system when you start back up. It could retain that for several hours. This truck seems to retain it for a longer period of time than I would expect as well. Thank you so much for your knowledge and helpful insight!
There's no extra reservoir, but 18 liters of hot coolant is its own heat source. There is, however, an auxiliary coolant pump that circulates coolant through the heater core in extended autostops. It's temperature dependent, basically only comes on when cabin temp drops too far below setpoint.

As to why today's trucks heat up a lot faster than your 2000 model, I'm speculating but I think it has mostly to do with emissions. The faster you warm up your engine, the faster your catalysts are effective, the lower your emissions. Most of a car's emissions occur in the first 10 minutes of running.

Quick Reply: winter mileage VS summer mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands