HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

For all you HCH I drivers with 50+ MPG...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: For all you HCH I drivers with 50+ MPG...

Responding to two points in this thread:

1. Reformulated fuel with ethanol: I live in CT, where ethanol is now used, and this winter my mileage dropped by about 3 mpg, from 47 to 44. It's now rebounding, but it seems as if cold weather mileage has dropped significantly. Until this winter I was getting the same mileage year round, including no drop using AC. Really.

I was concerned that my batteries might be going bad, but now I think it's the reformulated fuel. Anyone else notice this?

2. I consistently get 3 mpg actual less than the dashboard computer indicates. It has never changed in 105,000 miles.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:37 AM

I wouldn't worry about winter drops. I don't know why the mileage heald even year around before, but it is more normal for it to drop in winter than for it to stay the same.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Vox - I have the exact same thing happen. Ethanol drops my MPG by 2-3, and over the 100 tanks that I've tracked the error between the display and the actual, the display is 3.1 MPG off, always high.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim
Bought the 0-20W myself - saw it go in. Tires at 45 psi. Fluids - check. No extra weight. Now I do have Continental ContiTouringContact CV 95 tires - part of my tire/wheel upgrade. They are, however, LRR according to Continental. Since my MPG is "about" the same as before, I think they're good. Car recently waxed...

I hit 3-4 50-51 MPG tanks last year in August, but I can't seem to approach that this year. Since the new tires top has been 47.5 or so. I'm hoping the wheel/tire combo didn't prevent a 50+ tank. I'll post some results in October on the whole thing - 1 year of data behind me.

I just can't see getting a 60 MPG tank. I can, under freakishly specific circumstances, but it quickly turns into more work on a long drive. And after a long day of work, I don't want to have to think that hard on the ride home.
What rims do you have? Did you change from OEM?

Old 05-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Yes I did, which I now suspect as the culprit. They're spoked (well, 10 spokes). They're lighter than OEM by about 3 lbs per wheel, but I'll bet the spokes dropped the MPG. Still, even with the old wheels I could not approach 60 MPG over a full tank. For a 20 mile trip, yes.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:36 AM
For my daughter

A question Tim.

When we read the Snowflake graf, we see a good period at higher than 50mpg then you have an average of ... 44-45mpg. Do you know why ?

Pierre

Old 05-13-2007, 01:55 PM

Tim this caught my eye:
even with the old wheels I could not approach 60 MPG over a full tank. For a 20 mile trip, yes.
Q:
How far is your typical drive? My own commute is almost 50 miles each way. If I had a shorter commute I wouldn't get near what I do. For example at about 12 miles I'm typically in the low-mid 50's. If I had to stop and park there that's what I'd get. In my case I still have +35 miles to allow it to creep up.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tim
Yes I did, which I now suspect as the culprit. They're spoked (well, 10 spokes). They're lighter than OEM by about 3 lbs per wheel, but I'll bet the spokes dropped the MPG. Still, even with the old wheels I could not approach 60 MPG over a full tank. For a 20 mile trip, yes.

How much do the tires weigh? Compared to OEM?

Also, what size rim did you go to? 14inch? I have a set of 14inch Civic HX allow rims (I think it's 10 spoke) and have not noticed any big difference between OEM and HX rims.

The difference that I do see has more to do with the tire... HX rims has my winter set on... and OEM set has LRR tires.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Enthusiast

I am a new hybrid owner myself (2007 Honda Civic hybrid). I am trying to learn the things to work on to increase my MPG. I have only gone through a couple of tanks of gas, but I am not getting but about 33mpg. Of course, my commute is totally city driving (Atlanta) so I don't expect to get as good as some of you that drive 75-100% highway. But to be honest, I am sorely disappointed. I took the car back to the dealership and spent 3 hours there while they tested the mileage. They were able to get about 46 mpg, but then I am sure the driver took it out on the highway, turned the AC off (totally masochistic in Atlanta in May/June). I have read all the posts here and I am going to check the air pressure in the tires and see if putting more air helps. Also, since I am new to this, could someone explain a few acronyms you are using in your posts? IMPG??? FAS??? ICE???

Old 06-06-2007, 08:18 AM

FAS forced auto stop... don't bother trying it.
ICE... internal combustion engine.

You will need to learn how to feather the throttle and read the instant mpg feedback screen. You need to figure out when to let off slightly on the pedal as the meter dips below the average you are trying to achieve. You cannot drive the hybrid (big mistake on manufacturers part) as any other car. You will learn how to take advantage of this meter and it will become second nature after a while.

Last edited by livvie; 06-06-2007 at 08:21 AM.

Quick Reply: For all you HCH I drivers with 50+ MPG...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands