HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Anyone else at 100k?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Anyone else at 100k?

Greetings!

I'm very happy to say that my 2003 Civic Hybrid just hit the 100,000 mile mark! Despite being driven pretty hard, it's only needed a handful of repairs:

- Catalytic Converter at 50,000 miles.
-Catalytic converter at 90,000 miles.
-Door locking assembly
- 12-volt backup battery.

The only repair I had to pay for was the backup battery ($89).

Has anyone else reached 100,000 miles? What kinds of repairs were needed? What's your satisfaction level?

I've only had a few gripes, so I give my car a 9 out of 10.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:45 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Re: Anyone else at 100k?

I have 60+K miles on my '04 HCH. I have a question: How did you know that the catalytic converter needed to be replaced? I have driven several cars, each close to 200k miles, and have never had to replace a catalytic converter. Ever.

And, 40k miles on the secod CC seems low.

Forgive me for being nosey.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:58 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by zadscmc
I have 60+K miles on my '04 HCH. I have a question: How did you know that the catalytic converter needed to be replaced? I have driven several cars, each close to 200k miles, and have never had to replace a catalytic converter. Ever.

And, 40k miles on the secod CC seems low.

Forgive me for being nosey.
40k *is* pretty low! Fortunately, I doubt you'll have this problem since yours is a 2004. The way I understand it, some of the VERY EARLY units in 2003 have a design defect that makes the engine burn too lean. I bough the 2nd unit sold in Baltimore, so I guess I got one of the defective ones. The bright side is that the only real performance issue it causes is that it eats a caralyric converter every 40-50k miles. Honda is aware of the problem, which is why I have never had to pay for the repairs.

This issue is the main reason why I didn't give the car a score of "10".

Old 06-14-2006, 05:02 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Oh, I forgot... The "Check Engine" light came on when the catalytic converter failed. I took the car in for diagnostics, and that's what the technicians found both times.

On the bright side, I'm still on the original set of brake pads!

Old 06-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just took her in for her 90,000 mile check up. Everything seems to be running just fine. Got her first brake job and replaced the orginial tires. That's all I have basically had to do! The IMA battery seems to be discharging and charging a little more rapidly than it normally has been, but I'm still getting about 49 mpg.

Howard

Old 06-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'll turn over 100k next month sometime on my '04 HCH (MT). No problems yet. Replaced tires at ~65k. Oil and filter changes (myself) every 5k (Mobil 1 0W-20), cabin and air filters every 30k. At 100k, I'm going to flush radiator, change spark plugs, and check MT fluid level. That's it. Great car. Mileage keeps creeping HIGHER (now ~51mpg tank average), not sure if it's due to the car, or me. I drive mostly congested interstates (I80, and I55(sucks)), 73mph when I can.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This is great news fellas!!! I'm approaching 40k in my 03, it looks like I'm on my way to many more miles of repair free driving. I did have to replace my tires at 35k. No biggie, the tires I got I think are improving my mpg. Kumho Power Star 758, cheap too. Why was the backup battery so much?

Old 06-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm at 80K... apart from a new set of tires... nothing else has been replaced (apart from fluids). No issues to report.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:50 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I have typically been hard on tires, and even with the pressure changes that I have made to the tires, I still needed to replace mine at 50k. I replaced them with the OEM Bridgestone 321s (I overpaid for them, next time I'll know).

I'll have to dig out my Chilton manual to see how to check the MT fluid.

Thanks for the answers, Chris.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:24 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by zadscmc
I have typically been hard on tires, and even with the pressure changes that I have made to the tires, I still needed to replace mine at 50k. I replaced them with the OEM Bridgestone 321s (I overpaid for them, next time I'll know).

I'll have to dig out my Chilton manual to see how to check the MT fluid.

Thanks for the answers, Chris.
I used to be a lot harder on tires too before I changed jobs. I used to drive 500 miles per week on business (mostly highway, which gave me a great FE). Now I drive less than 500 miles per month (all city; lower FE)

You can see the entire maintenance history for my car by clicking the "Hybrid Repair Log" in my Signature File. It's a lot shorter than that poor guy from Canada with the woefully defective Insight! I also have a selection of opinions on the "Hybrid mini-forum" link.

Thanks!
Chris

Quick Reply: Anyone else at 100k?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands