Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH I-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/)
-   -   Anyone self-install their EGR valve? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/anyone-self-install-their-egr-valve-13228/)

IMAhybrid 06-26-2007 05:18 PM

Re: Anyone self-install their EGR valve?

I just cleaned the one on my Insight, this link helped me, hope it'll help you too.

This is what the gasket looks like; I'm assuming, mine didn't have one.

tbaleno 06-28-2007 11:17 AM

I've got a spare if you want it :) I ordered a gasket and the egr. Turns out the EGR comes with a gasket so I have an extra now.

IMAhybrid 06-28-2007 05:14 PM

Um, sure. Thanks. I'll PM you.

memcinto 10-20-2007 02:05 PM

Question for end, tbaleno and cb450sc:

We own a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid with the bucking/lurching problem (mileage 45,000) and I'm researching the transmission problem. Several people on various forums have had their transmission fail completely, or have been forced to flush and replace the transmission fluid at frequent intervals.

My question is, did cleaning the EGR valve permanently solve the problem? If not, how often do you have to clean the valve, and/or have you had to take other measures?

Thanks!!!

fanfaron 12-30-2007 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Zeep (Post 130848)
Can anyone point me to or tell me how to find it on the parts list at hondaautomotiveparts.com?

Does it come with a gasket?

Thanks!

Captain Zeep,

The egr valve is in the intake manifold. Choose the intake manifold as the system/component and you will see the EGR valve.

cb450sc 01-01-2008 08:41 AM

Well I was changing the transmission fluid yesterday and since things were apart I decided to clean the EGR valve as well. It had alot of carbon in it so I soaked it for a half hour and cleaned it up the best I could. I also shot some carb cleaner into the"intakes" that go into the EGR valve this time. I also used a soft cloth soaked in carb cleaner to clean these passages out. They were dirtier than the EGR vlave. After I put everything back together, along with a new air cleaner the car sure ran smoother. I am not sure if it was one thing or a combination of everything I did.
Getting back to the transmission... I change/add 3 litres once a year. The CVT fluid is rather expensive but I figure it is still cheap insurance to a blown tranny.
Happy New Yeear To All

fanfaron 01-02-2008 06:53 PM

Hello to all,

Can I use the old gasket? Is it really necessary to have a new gasket?

Thank you

cb450sc 01-03-2008 07:16 AM

I reused mine this time. It did not seem to have any ill effects.

Harold 01-03-2008 08:34 AM

Bill, what year is your HCH? Is it pre 2006? I have not heard of this being a problem on 2006 and newer models.

cb450sc 01-03-2008 09:24 AM

Hi Harold
I have a 2003 HCH.