HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Anyone self-install their EGR valve?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone self-install their EGR valve?

Hi all,

End is right, like he said, the egr valve was hard to remove, I don't have a crazy skinny socket. So at the end of the day I couldn't remove it . Thinking of removing the engine cover and use a 12mm key instead of socket + ratchet. Hope that works. Someone knows how to remove the cover without breaking it? I try to lift it up but afraid to break it.

But anyway where did you guy get a long skinny socket like this.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 PM

I used a regular socket with one of those extender things and a ratchet. It wasn't a long skinny socket.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi tom,

You must have removed the engine cover right?

Tom, all week, I have read all article on cleanmpg, and I couldn't find a article about pulse and glide for HCH I CVT. If you have a link to refer, please send it over

Thank You

Old 01-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

A wrench works best on the back bolt. I can't remember if it is a 10 or 12mm. After you take the EGR valve off once you will be able to do it in two minutes every time after.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by fanfaron
Hi tom,

You must have removed the engine cover right?

Tom, all week, I have read all article on cleanmpg, and I couldn't find a article about pulse and glide for HCH I CVT. If you have a link to refer, please send it over

Thank You
Yeah, If I recall correctly I had to remove the engine cover.

As for the article about pulse and glide for the HCH I, There isn't much to it. We found the range to be 29mph to 45 mpg. Accelerate at 2300 rpm.

I don't hang around cleanmpg any more because most of the core group of people there care more about mileage than they do about safety or ethics (they tend to plagiarize stuff too much for my liking (and to some lawyers) but I think I know the article you are talking about.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

hi, i just installed a new egr valve after reading this info.
Very helpful. Just thought i would tell everyone my expeirence and results.
I have HCH 1. You definitely need a longer (preferably thin) extension for your ratchet. 4 inch minimum. I soaked the bolts with wd40 for a couple days. With the racket extension, it was a little hard initially but it loosened up with some force. Make sure you remove the screws with your hand, so make sure car is cold. Also, make sure you remove the gasket, mine was so smashed i just try to scrap it a little. Put new gasket, new egr, and old bolts.
And after all that, took it for a test driver, drove really good with acceleration at low speeds. No more of a juddery shake. Its still there a tiny bit, but much smoother.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

I know there exists a code in OBD2 for insufficient EGR flow, I don't remember the number. Is anyone getting this code or just diagnosing based on symptoms? Does anyone know what the non-CA emissions warranty was for 04?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast

I know there exists a code in OBD2 for insufficient EGR flow, I don't remember the number. Is anyone getting this code or just diagnosing based on symptoms?

im curious to this as well. i have the bucking and at low speeds a vibration from the tranny i think. narrowed it down to the egr valve or/and the start clutch. i dont have and never have had a check eng light. what do you guys clean the egr valve with??carb cleaner?

oh and sorry i know this is an old thread lol

Last edited by vk56dehan; 09-17-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vk56dehan
I know there exists a code in OBD2 for insufficient EGR flow, I don't remember the number. Is anyone getting this code or just diagnosing based on symptoms?

im curious to this as well. i have the bucking and at low speeds a vibration from the tranny i think. narrowed it down to the egr valve or/and the start clutch. i dont have and never have had a check eng light. what do you guys clean the egr valve with??carb cleaner?

oh and sorry i know this is an old thread lol
I didn't have a code, but the car was bucking, especially when coasting. Really got annoying. I replaced it ($147 + Shipping) in about 5 minutes, using my standard socket set with an extension. Fixed the problem!

I think the next problem will be the CVT Transmission. It's slamming into gear, and sometimes is slow to get out of gear when stopping. The car will almost stall when stopping, then it'll slip out of gear and the RPMS will come back up to normal. It also slams into gear when starting off. It's diffferent than the infamous 'Judder', which is begining to come back after almost 25k on the last CVT Transmisison Fluid Change. I think the owners manual recommends transmission fluid changes about every 30k, so I'm not too far off the recommended interval. I have 127k on it right now, and want to keep it running for another 2 - 2.5 years. I hate to have two car payments.