HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Bad surging/lunging at slow speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bad surging/lunging at slow speeds.

Originally Posted by bigbearballs
Thank you, I will check it out. I'm up against the 7yr/100mi mark so it's time for me to go in.

I went into today and had this service done (bulletin 07-049). They flushed the tranny fluid three times and the surging/lunging is gone and fixed for $0. Now, they did tell me I need a rt. axle seal ($235), brake fluid change ($125), 90k service ($295), and comp. bushings ($560). AHAHAHAHHA.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Meeko
I have a 2003 HCH with just over 64,000 miles on it. I've had 2 recurring problems for about the last 20,000 miles or so, which seem to come and go in severity.

The first problem is that when I step on the gas pedal from a stop, the car will make a stuttering noise. After looking at it and not being able to figure out what was wrong, the dealer flushed out the transmission fluid, which fixed the problem for a couple thousand miles, but it has begun happening again.

The second problem is that the car will surge or lunge when I drive at slow speeds (5 - 15 mph) (this makes driving through a parking lot very difficult). This also stopped when the transmission fluid was flushed, but has also returned, and is getting worse. Now I can feel slight waves of surges even at medium speeds (30 - 40 mph), and driving at 10 mph makes me feel like I'm on an amusement park ride.

The dealer has said I need a whole new transmission, which was going to be something like $3,000. I haven't had that done yet, I thought it seemed a little extreme for a car with only 64,000 miles to need a completely new transmission.

Does what I described sound like an entire new transmission is necessary? Also, what are the dangers of continuing to drive the car in this condition? I'd hate to spend $3,000 to completely replace the transmission if it could be repaired instead. Thanks for any information.
Sorry to hear about the troubles. My 2003 CH has a manual transmission and at times the sinchrynization of the electric and gas engine isnt perfect, resulting in abit of a surge.

Is your condition something like this?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbearballs
I went into today and had this service done (bulletin 07-049). They flushed the tranny fluid three times and the surging/lunging is gone and fixed for $0. Now, they did tell me I need a rt. axle seal ($235), brake fluid change ($125), 90k service ($295), and comp. bushings ($560). AHAHAHAHHA.
If you cannot do the required maintenance yourself then it is worth every penny to take it and keep the regularly scheduled maintenance up.

These cars are built superior than their 2009 replacements. No lies, I drove a 2009 Civic as a rent a car while my 03 CH was in for the 75K service. I will say the 09 did a much better job at making the car feel wide and open.

I was happy to get my 6 yr older model civic back.

Keeping our little cars in pristine condition is well worth the money spent.