Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH I-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/)
-   -   A/C clutch problem (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/c-clutch-problem-30886/)

aibaxter 08-04-2016 06:36 PM

A/C clutch problem

I have a 2003 civic hybrid. I bought a used a/c compressor off of ebay, and it works fine, but the it was staying on all the time (even when i had the hvac totally off)

my solution was to swap out the clutch. it didn't help.

from what i can tell, my problem seems to be with the shims: i can't seem to get the spacing right.

with the shim, the clutch slips and the ac won't come on.

without the shim, the ac won't disengage.

i know i could just buy a new compressor with all of it together and it would work fine, but this compressor works, & i just paid to have the system evacuated and refilled & i don't want to pay $100 to have it done again if i can help it.

ideas? thanks!!!

S Keith 08-04-2016 07:48 PM

Re: A/C clutch problem

Check your relay.

aibaxter 08-05-2016 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 260307)
Check your relay.

can you elaborate? thanks

S Keith 08-05-2016 08:14 AM

Compressor clutch relay... The switch that engages the compressor clutch.

aibaxter 08-10-2016 04:23 AM

it is not the relay. i swapped it out to no avail.

S Keith 08-10-2016 05:55 AM

What's the field coil resistance?

Phototone 08-17-2016 07:31 PM

I wonder, when you removed the shim, or shims, and replaced the clutch did you determine it would spin the compressor without contact with the engine off? Spin by hand? It needs to be free spin, with only the drag from the compressor which won't be much if everything is not on, not pulled up right on the belt pulley. There has to be a miniscule (very tiny) gap there. Honda says .020. You can measure with feeler guage.