Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH I-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/)
-   -   Oil Filter (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/oil-filter-9230/)

bigbearballs 08-12-2006 10:24 AM

Oil Filter

The maintenance guide says every other oil change, my personal mechanic says that's crazy. What do you guys say? It's only $4 more bucks. Should we be going for it every time?

realist 08-12-2006 11:48 AM

Re: Oil Filter

I'm of the opinion "Why run clean oil through a dirty filter?". I've replaced mine with every change.

TonyK 08-12-2006 01:05 PM

While I do change my filter each time as well, its a known fact that a 'dirtier' filter does filter better.

These are some pretty clean running engines and the oil doesnt appear to get 'that' dirty thanks to their efficiencies sooooo if the manufacturer is comfortable with their oil change intervals and suggestion on changing the filter every other time, you should be safe.

Less chance of a cross threaded filter or a double O-ring on the filter if you follow their interval recomendations.

Bottom line is you probably wont hurt anything changing it more often.

mdline 09-08-2006 05:33 PM

I have a 2004 HCH with a 5 speed. I change the oil every 5K miles and the filter every other time. If in doubt about changing the oil filter every other time, at the next oil change let the old filter drain several hours then cut it apart and inspect the filter elements. My guess is there will not be much if any grit or sludge in the element. Let the next filter go two oil changes then cut it apart and inspect it. You probably will not see a difference.

tckma 09-12-2006 02:01 PM

I change the oil myself every 5K-7K miles, and I change the filter every time. This is how I was taught to change my own oil, except with my last car I changed it every 3K miles because it used standard 5w30 instead of the impossible-to-find 0w20.

What I want to know is how to get those f&*@ clips off the underbody cover without breaking them -- they're about $2 bucks each from the cheapest parts place I can find... I break at least one of the nine every time I change the oil. Grr.

mdline 09-13-2006 03:54 PM

About every other oil change I take the clips apart and scrub them with an old tooth brush. So far in 95K miles of changing the oil every 5K, I have only replaced 3. Has anybody found a cheap sustitute for these clips?

livvie 09-13-2006 04:00 PM

I relace it every time I change my oil. Mobil 1 0W-20 and Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Mileage oil filter. I do this every 10K miles. No issues at 80K miles.

tckma 09-13-2006 04:30 PM

Ooh, where are you finding the Mobil 1 0w-20? I can never find it anymore, and I end up ordering direct from Honda, which gets expensive.

livvie 09-13-2006 05:59 PM

Last time I bought it was at AutoZone. I bought about 2 years worth. But good question. Have to go check for it.

realist 09-13-2006 06:39 PM

Some Walmarts carry 0W-20. Not all, I've found it to be about 50% of them in my area. A bit over $5/qt. Not much in stock though.

Possibly some 'outdoor sports' stores, too. I found some in "G.I. Joes" with other 4-wheel/snowmobile/etc maintenance things. About the same price as Walmart, and more in stock.

hweldon 09-14-2006 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by mdline
About every other oil change I take the clips apart and scrub them with an old tooth brush. So far in 95K miles of changing the oil every 5K, I have only replaced 3. Has anybody found a cheap sustitute for these clips?

I replaced my with some I got at the local auto parts store. I think they were called "Rivet-Tite". They are plastic push rivets just like the OEM connectors but are much easier to take out and put back in. I've removed and reinstalled them about 3 times now and haven't broken a single one. Cost me about $3.50 for 10.

Howard

tckma 09-15-2006 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by livvie
Last time I bought it was at AutoZone. I bought about 2 years worth. But good question. Have to go check for it.

The AutoZones around here never stock it (nor have I ever seen it in a Sprawl-Mart or a BJ's). I used to only be able to find it at Napa stores in the area, but then Napa stopped carrying it, because it was "discontinued."

I'd have stocked up, but the Napa stores typically only ever had one or two cases in stock. I stock up on my oil filters and air filters when I find them.

The last time I had to buy oil, I was forced to order a case of Honda oil online through Majestic (they are cheaper on parts than any dealer in the MA-NH-CT-RI area, I've found, and they have an online ordering site). But I'm bummed because it's still more expensive than the Mobil 1 was.

tckma 09-15-2006 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by hweldon

Cost me about $3.50 for 10.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

GreenAndBlue 09-15-2006 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by tckma
What I want to know is how to get those f&*@ clips off the underbody cover without breaking them -- they're about $2 bucks each from the cheapest parts place I can find... I break at least one of the nine every time I change the oil. Grr.

Yep, Dzus fasteners aren't cheap. If you notice the next time you're under the car, you should see 2 very slightly raised straight lines molded into the head of the clip (on the Honda OEM clips, at least). Look carefully; they're hard to see. If you put your flat-blade screwdriver parallel to those lines, and pry gently between the inner head and the outer ring, a bit at a time from each end, they'll pop off enough where you can just pull them out with your hand, without breaking. However, I don't think they'll last forever, even taking them off the right way.

To insert them, stage the clip so that it's just short of starting to engage the outer lock and push it outward (ie; put the inner stud in about halfway. Then squeeze the outer jacket if needed, and put it into the hole until the outer ring seats against the surface of what you're fastening. Finally, push the inner stud in until it seats.

One thing I do is to try and position those line markers all generally facing the same way. That might be a bit anal for some, but it sure makes it easier for me to take them off the next time. I *will* say that when they put them on at the factory, those line markers are in all different directions - so it sometimes makes it hard to get the screwdriver in at the correct angle to pry on the clip. Another reason I line them up when I reinsert them.

Mine seem a little bit weaker, after having been on / off three times - and I haven't broken one yet, btw. They're all over the car, too. Had to remove a bunch when I put my hitch on a couple months ago.

One other thing on those undercover clips - on my '06, they're in at least 2 (if not 3) different sizes. Make sure you match them up - if you try to jam a larger clip into one of the smaller holes, it's a real pain to get it in - then you realize you put the wrong clip in, and say "to h#ll with it - I'm not taking that out again" :angry: Larger clips are toward the back of the undercover, I think - can't remember offhand.

You want to know something ? I've had half the clips off my front undercover for a good three months now because I cracked mine, ordered a new one, then decided to wait for my next service to replace it. You could potentially leave some of the clips off the engine undercover in strategic places, and make it easier on yourself. You should still have the two 10mm bolts holding the front part to the frame crossmember - as long as you don't run over anything really big, they should hold the undercover in place.

The downside is that you'd have a slightly dirtier undercarriage - to me, it's nice working on a nice clean engine - the undercovers help a lot with that. I doubt that you'd take much of an aero hit, to be honest - mine hasn't changed, and I don't hear any extra noise, etc.

zadscmc 09-25-2006 10:05 AM

I change my oil and filter every 10k miles.
Since I am under the car, I might as well. It's an extra $4 and 16 oz of oil.

zimbop 09-26-2006 06:31 AM

I change mine every time. While we're on the oil change topic, I am still annoyed by my dealer who knows the manual says 5k or 10k interval (probably true for all hondas, not just mine), yet still the sticker is made out for 3k every time. WABOS.