HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Shudder from stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Shudder from stop

Originally Posted by widjayaman
Well... what do you know. Been bothered with the exact same problem for a while now and decided to look into it and found all these threads online.

03 with 74K miles and the unmistakably starter clutch problem. Took it to the dealership and they quoted me $1280. The guy actually said 'I kinda almost hesitate to recommend you to fix it now, since you can probably drive it for a while yet..'

Question is has anyone here who experienced the same problem just keep driving the car without fixing it? Will it affect other parts of the transmission if left undealt with? Don't really feel like dropping that much money on what I'd consider somewhat minor annoyance.

Thanks for the insights!
I have had this problem ongoing since the time I purchased the vehicle with 61K on it. Car now has 110K and the start clutch finally failed compeletely yesterday. In between all that I had gotten the recommended flushes of fluid, and a couple burnishings, but nothing fully gets rid of the problem. The burnishing actually diminishes the part and can only be done so many times before it will make the part fail worse. The Transmission mount will also crack due to this problem as I have gone through 2.

The Honda dealer I had been taking it to for service never informed me that I could have had the part replaced for FREE within the extended warranty window, and I didn't find the service bulletin online until I was past the 7 years but within the 105K. Honda of America refused any assistance and now my car is undriveable. If you are within the free replacement window, take advantage! However, I will second that it may not last long as this is a poor engineering issue that has not been corrected no matter how well they reformulate fluids. In the service records I found in my car when I purchased, I found that the start clutch kit had been replaced at 52K and by the time I bought it at 61K it was already having the issue severely. Get the replacement and do the fluid flushes religiously so you don't evnd up screwed over like me.

At this moment I am begging Honda to reconsider assistance, and if the still refuse I will have to pay for this service (quoted around $1700) and then sue the **** out of the dealer service center that pushed me beyond my window in small claims court to get my money back.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast

transmission mount..check that out

Old 01-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast

Mine has a slight jutter, if I ease the accelator it doesnt at all. Im going to try changing the fluid

Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vctehbro
transmission mount..check that out
Yup your right.. check the mounts. my mount was bad the 2nd time the judder came back.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Enthusiast

I changed CVT fluid and it stopped

Old 01-27-2013, 01:04 AM
Enthusiast

Has anyone tried burnishing themselves? The procedure looks dirt simple.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 AM
Enthusiast

I havent tried that, please let me know if you do

Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Have you tried drain a fill with 3 quarts CVT oil.Very easy to do. Just drain and refill thru the dip stick tube with a funnel and piece of tubing. If it is burnished it require three drains and refill with a drive in between each change. H

Old 01-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast

Here's the text of the procedure and a link below to the Honda Service Bulletin that it's from. That also gives the clutch replacement procedure (YIKES!!)

I don't get the purpose of step 11 "calibrate the start clutch"??

1. Replace the fluid in the CVT with Honda Genuine CVT fluid, not AFT-Z1:
^ Refer to the CVT section of the appropriate service manual, or
^ Online, enter keyword CVT FLUID or ATF. and select CVT Fluid Replacement (CVT) or ATF Replacement (CVT) from the list.
NOTE:
^ Fuzzy metal particles on the drain plug magnet are normal. Remove the particles before you reinstall the plug.
^ To prevent contamination when you refill the CVT, clean the area around the fill hole, and use a clean funnel.

2. Raise the vehicle on a lift until the wheels are off the ground.
3. Start the engine, shift to D, and accelerate to 40 mph.
4. Release the accelerator pedal, and lightly apply the brakes until the wheels stop. Lower the vehicle.
5. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0), then check the CVT fluid level within 90 seconds; it should be between the upper and lower HOT marks. Add fluid if needed.
6. Set the parking brake, and block the front wheels.
7. Start the engine, and shift to D. Make sure the A/C is off.
8. With the brake pedal held firmly, press the accelerator pedal to the floor, and release it after 3 seconds. Do not move the shift lever during this step.
9. Shift to N, and release the brake pedal. Increase the engine speed to 3,000 rpm, and hold it for 15 seconds. This allows the start Clutch to cool.
10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 with the shift lever in D, then repeat with the shift lever in R.
11. Test-drive the vehicle for 1 mile or more, accelerating from a stop several times. During the drive, calibrate the start Clutch by turning on the headlights, and then decelerating from 40 to 20 mph without using the brakes.
^ If the judder is gone, return the vehicle to the customer.
^ If the judder is still there, repeat steps 1 thru 11. If the judder remains after you repeat steps 1 thru 10, go to step 12 - Start Clutch Replacement.

http://ebookbrowse.com/1787d13165710...pdf-d226032899

Old 01-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast

I found it easier to fill the cvt fluid by removing the fill bolt top of engine towards driver side rear

Quick Reply: Shudder from stop

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands