HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Special Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Special Tires?

Originally Posted by bluesesshomaru17
Really? I will have to check which ones I have now. I have never had my tires slip once under any circumstances. Even when my tires weren't super pumped up as they are now. I didn't think these cars had the power to do so ... you must have a manual. In fact, I have never had my tires slip in the instances where I had to brake rather hard either. Were the tires quite worn?
I have a CVT (because of hills and traffic), but now that I remember it, what happened was that the engine had cut out (auto-stop) as I came into a stopsign. I went to accelerate while the engine was winding down and the transmission was disconnected, and the engine started to rev before the transmission kicked back into gear, similar to dropping the clutch on a manual with the transmission already revved up. In a situation like that I would definitely prefer the control of a manual, hitting the accelerator and having nothing happen for a significant stretch of time, then spin out the tires unexpectedly is absurd.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Double-Trinity
I have a CVT (because of hills and traffic), but now that I remember it, what happened was that the engine had cut out (auto-stop) as I came into a stopsign. I went to accelerate while the engine was winding down and the transmission was disconnected, and the engine started to rev before the transmission kicked back into gear, similar to dropping the clutch on a manual with the transmission already revved up. In a situation like that I would definitely prefer the control of a manual, hitting the accelerator and having nothing happen for a significant stretch of time, then spin out the tires unexpectedly is absurd.
But that seems to be a by-product of the auto-stop and auto transmission than the tires. I think any car with an auto-stop feature (with an in-line electric motor) would have this condition. I do hate it when that happens though.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default My tire experience

I posted this on another part of the forum, but I replaced the stock Bridgestones (which I hated) with a set of Goodyear Assurance Triple Treds back in early May. I have them inflated to 43 psi, and I absolultely love them. Ride is great, noise is very low, and handling (especially in water) can't be beat. And they're less expensive (by quite a bit) than the Michelin HydroEdge I was thinking of buying. I find that running them at near the max pressure allowed by the manufacturer gives me much improved mileage.

Butch

Old 09-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default decent handling and low rolling resistance?

I have the Bridgestone B381s, and they are getting worn out after 50K miles. The handling is abysmal, even at 42 PSI front, 40 PSI rear. Fuel economy is good, tho.

I would like to find a tire that has decent rolling resistance, but improved handling. Currently, the car feels like it wants to roll over during cornering (serious lack of sidewall rigidity, I believe) before sliding at grandmotherly speeds around corners.

I suspect a 15" wheel and tire in a 60 series instead of a 70 series would be quite an improvement to handling. Is such a tire available in a LRR (low rolling resistance) version?

Does anybody have experiences to share?

Old 09-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Enthusiast

As I said above, I absolutely love the Goodyear Assurance Triple Treds. They hold the road like they're glued down, even in very wet, dicey conditions. So far, keeping them at between 40 and 43 psi has yielded good MPG results, so overall I'm happy. Sears says they're wearing a little bit in the middle of the tread ('over' inflation), but even if they last 10k less than they might otherwise do, for the money, they're worth the somewhat shorter life. I'm sure I'll get at least 50-60k out of them, which is really all you can ask of a tire anyway, no matter what the guarantee is.

B

Old 09-26-2006, 05:37 AM
Enthusiast

ButchVA,

What is your FE like on those tires?

Old 09-26-2006, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast

I've been averaging ~44-48. I live in a very mountainous area of Southern Virginia though, so my overall average is probably a couple less than flatlanders. On one recent road trip to NC however, I got over 52 on one tank (calculated, not on the car's computer), so I feel like the tires are doing very well for me. I'm willing to give up a mile or so per gallon in exchange for the *amazing* road hugging ability of the Assurance Triple Tred. I hate nothing worse than hydroplaning at highway speeds.

B

Old 09-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Can I assume those Goodyears are the stock 14" size?

Old 09-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No special tire required.

I bought these at tirerack.com

185/70HR-14 Sumitomo HTR 200 - $39.00 each... total for (4): $156.00

Old 09-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ayone tried Yokahama tires on their HCH? I had them on my 1989 Mitsubishi Galant before I traded it in for my 2003 HCH. They were the best all season tires that I had ever owned. I have to admit that I don't recall which model of tire were on it. I will be getting new tires in the next few months and may go back to them.