HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

100,000 mile report - 2006 HCHII

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 100,000 mile report - 2006 HCHII

Pushing 36K miles here and I have never knowingly witnessed a regen.

I'd probably trade it in and not buy the extended warranty this time.

Good Luck, nf

Old 03-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

Originally Posted by noflash
Pushing 36K miles here and I have never knowingly witnessed a regen.

I'd probably trade it in and not buy the extended warranty this time.

Good Luck, nf
In my old HCH, the recalibration incidents didn't start until around 120k miles. It got pretty bad by 140k. I traded it in around 145k miles. Still, to get 145k miles out of a pack warranted for 80k miles isn't bad. I guess that's why I bought another Honda hybrid

Old 03-10-2010, 08:13 AM

Not bad at all.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hybrid battery pack and 12v battery replaced at 55k - all recals disappeared immediately.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 AM

That figures!!!

Old 04-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast

Family Man,

I had the exact same symptoms and issues with Honda as you (Recals every morning and evening, and multiple times each day). I did have success by escalating the issue. Since I got my new battery the vehicle has has ZERO recals and the mileage immediately jumped back up to 46 MPG from the 40 MPG I was getting with the battery issues.

Go through your dealer to esacalate so that they know you are doing so....

1. Ask the dealer for the name and number of his supervisor so you can escalate
2. Ask your dealer for the phone number to American Honda Customer Service so you can open a support case yourself.
3. Call American Honda, record the customer support case number, and give it to your dealer so they can use that as leverage with their support channels.
4. When you talk to American Honda
- Stress that it is a safety issue as you "unexpectedly" lose power periodically, which could cause an accident when you pull out into traffic. This is a big an issue as the Prius acceleration problem in my opinion.
- Warn them that if you get in a wreck because they refused to fix this problem, they could have a big lawsuit on their hands.
- Threaten to go public. I think a story that Honda is using policies and new software to surpress battery issues to save money on battery replacement costs would sound pretty good to a reporter. Just the idea that Honda is having battery issues at all is a big story.

Honda was more than willing to take your $2500 for the extended warranty, which you got specifically for this reason. But now when you have a legitimate problem, Honda is refusig to honor that warranty.

Good Luck!!!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Smurf
Family Man,

I had the exact same symptoms and issues with Honda as you (Recals every morning and evening, and multiple times each day). I did have success by escalating the issue. Since I got my new battery the vehicle has has ZERO recals and the mileage immediately jumped back up to 46 MPG from the 40 MPG I was getting with the battery issues.

Go through your dealer to esacalate so that they know you are doing so....

1. Ask the dealer for the name and number of his supervisor so you can escalate
2. Ask your dealer for the phone number to American Honda Customer Service so you can open a support case yourself.
3. Call American Honda, record the customer support case number, and give it to your dealer so they can use that as leverage with their support channels.
4. When you talk to American Honda
- Stress that it is a safety issue as you "unexpectedly" lose power periodically, which could cause an accident when you pull out into traffic. This is a big an issue as the Prius acceleration problem in my opinion.
- Warn them that if you get in a wreck because they refused to fix this problem, they could have a big lawsuit on their hands.
- Threaten to go public. I think a story that Honda is using policies and new software to surpress battery issues to save money on battery replacement costs would sound pretty good to a reporter. Just the idea that Honda is having battery issues at all is a big story.

Honda was more than willing to take your $2500 for the extended warranty, which you got specifically for this reason. But now when you have a legitimate problem, Honda is refusig to honor that warranty.

Good Luck!!!

The threats and lawsuits part are too strong. And it won't cause anything to happen anyway. best to lay safety concerns politely in writing. The rest will be understood.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

Agreed.

You might save those and use them only if after escalating, they still refuse to change the battery.....

Old 04-16-2010, 01:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Familyman,

You should consider leaving your HCHII with the dealer and asking a technician to just drive the car like it was their own. Have them drive it for a several days. Maybe even a week. Chances are, they will notice the same problem that you are noticing. And if Honda is adamant about not taking action until an error code is thrown, at least you can have it documented that the problem does exist.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Hey guys - I just re-read the thread. I bought my 2006 HCH2 at the same time you did original poster, which was in April 2006.

You have to change both batteries at the same time, and yes the software updates exacerbate the problem essentially. Honda was trying to save the hybrid battery packs but wound up creating more expense for themselves by the solution.

As mentioned, i chnaged my battery pack at 55,000 and the recals went away right away and I have not seen one since. Its been months.

I still get over 50 MPG every time over the last 4-5 tanks and my repair bill is zero. I also have the 7 year 120,000 mile warranty, which cost $900 for me ( 0 deductible) - no complaints for me at all -

Quick Reply: 100,000 mile report - 2006 HCHII

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands