Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Agh! Car performing perfectly for over three years!!! (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/agh-car-performing-perfectly-over-three-years-22643/)

noflash 09-18-2009 06:36 AM

Agh! Car performing perfectly for over three years!!!

<knock on wood>

Sorry, this page was looking like a battlefield of wounded HCHIIs. In case anyone is researching the Civic Hybrid here, I've had absolutely no problems and have averaged better than 42 mpg for three years/32k miles. It's a great car that needs little attention and performs flawlessly.

I'll repeat; I have no idea why this car doesn't sell better. If I had to buy a car tomorrow -- it'd the same.

Cheers!

nf

bengteck 09-18-2009 07:15 AM

Re: Agh! Car performing perfectly for over three years!!!

Honda build great cars which can be easily taken apart for DIYian like myself
if properly maintained, it will surely cross the seven years mark (my target lifespan)
mine past 35k miles but only two years old

my heavily modifed ride which weight much heaver than stock but still rate above 45mpg
with proper driving habits, 45mpg pose no problem

PS - ours local rental company uses 05 and 06 hybrids and yet to hear any IMA problem

stevenvillatoro 09-18-2009 07:16 AM

Congrats to you, noflash. Forums tend to showcase any known issues, and the casual site participant may have no way to judge how prevalent those problems might be.

My HCH is just six months old, but I am extremely pleased with it, and it has exceeded my expectations in every way. I think Honda might have been wise to advertise the Civic alongside the new Insight to showcase its growing variety of hybrid models. Unfortunately, people tend to overlook the invisible Civic Hybrid when new car shopping.

By the way, my cumulative FE is 47+ MPG with less-than-ideal driving conditions.

clayton4115 09-19-2009 08:17 PM

good to see positive posts here, i have a petrol civic, absolutely problem free car, my next car is a civic hybrid, cant wait!

Mendel Leisk 09-20-2009 01:43 PM

NoFlash, we've had no mechanical problems with ours either, for the most part. One issue we had, which seems to have "gone away" (perhaps due to a few extra CVT fluid changes I did): at idle the rpms would suddenly and inexplicably run up to around 3k. Happened a few times over the course of maybe a month, and then not since.

There are a lot of complaints about rear control arms and subsequent abnormal tire wear, though. It would seem hit-or-miss: some owners have it spades, others not at all. We've not had this issue.

Hybrid Captain 09-26-2009 11:03 AM

I purchased my 2006 HCHII in November of 2005. With the exception of the Battery Cover TSB it has never been to the dealership. I do all of the routine maintenance (including CVT) according to the "Maintenance Minder" and rotate tires at EVERY oil change. My tires (Bridgestone SE200) have always been inflated to 39psi cold.

I have 81000 miles on the car and it has been absolutely remarkable. No leaks. No rattles. Complete and utter reliability. The maintenance chores are easy to accomplish. My lifetime average mileage hovers at 49 mpg (mostly SoCal highway driving). I was able to SAFELY coax 65,000 miles out of my OEM tires. So I replaced them with the same Bridgestone SE200 tire. I have the stock rear control arms.

Thanks for the positive thread.

This car has done everything I expected it would and quite a bit more. My next car will be the next generation of Honda Civic Hybrid.

Adios.
PO

ppgroup 09-26-2009 04:26 PM

Those of us who are now having problems at one point felt just as you do.

Hybrid Captain 09-27-2009 12:04 AM

Thanks for the wet towel ppgroup.

Mendel Leisk 09-27-2009 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hybrid Captain (Post 211355)
<snip>I was able to SAFELY coax 65,000 miles out of my OEM tires. So I replaced them with the same Bridgestone SE200 tire.<snip>

Hi Paul.

Could you check: do your replacement SE200 tires have a roughly 1/4" high "02" after "SE200". Also, either way, how are they doing for mileage.

It seems there are 2 versions of the tire, with/without this suffix. Tirerack shows some difference in the statistics for the two versions. It seems the version with the "02" suffix is the OEM, made in Japan version of the tire. It's slightly less tread depth, the cross-section dimensions are a bit different, and the weight is less.

I'm not sure how this all effects rolling resistance, though. We're currently driveing a Corolla loaner which has the non "02" version of the tire, and they seem very low RR, very easy rolling.

Hybrid Captain 09-27-2009 12:35 PM

My tires are non "02". They are identical to the original "OEM" tire fitment. There was a very small mileage penalty for the first 1000 miles, maybe 1-2 mpg. Now they are virtually the same or slightly better than the well worn tires I removed.

Cheers,
PO