Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Battery "bounce back" after discharge during "refurbish" cycle. (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/battery-bounce-back-after-discharge-during-refurbish-cycle-31886/)

toast64 03-10-2019 04:14 PM

Battery "bounce back" after discharge during "refurbish" cycle.

When I use my Hybrid Automotive automatic battery discharger (not the light bulb type) I don't always stay right on top of the discharge. If the discharger interfaced with an app that would be really handy, but that discussion is for another time. When the discharger reaches its target voltage (105, 66 or 13 Volts depending on where I am in the "refurbish" sequence), I often miss the exact time when the battery hits it's discharge voltage. When I miss the exact timing, the voltage "bounces back" rather quickly. If I miss it by 1/2 hour or so it may bounce back to around 140V. So, my question is, when that happens do I need to take the battery back to the target voltage before recharging, or can I just recharge from whatever voltage it has bounced back to, or does it matter? Hopefully someone with battery knowledge can help. I'm in the process of ordering a new Bumblebee battery pack for my car. I'm also curious as to how important it is to do the "refurbish" cycle on a newer battery. Will it prolong the life if I do it every 6 months?

S Keith 03-10-2019 04:49 PM

Re: Battery "bounce back" after discharge during "refurbish" cycle.

Bounce is normal and expected. When you remove a load from a voltage source, the voltage will rise in response to the removal of load.

Do not repeatedly discharge in an effort to get it to stay at the lower voltage. Once the voltage is hit, and the discharger terminates, it's done. Proceed to charging.

IMHO, do not discharge below 66V. Do 3 total cycles to 105V, 66V and 66V. Skip 13V.

Bumblebee has recommendations for grid charger best practices. I don't remember the specifics, but its more about just maintaining balance with a relatively short overnight grid charge-only (no discharge) a couple times a year. Ask them.

toast64 03-11-2019 01:07 PM

Re: Battery "bounce back" after discharge during "refurbish" cycle.

SKieth, thanks much! Exactly what I was looking for!