HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

"Brake System" light on

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: "Brake System" light on

Sorry, do you mind explaining what "Blink Codes" means? Or point me to an explanation?

I talked to the dealer, and they told me there are no codes. Just the Brake System light. They insisted that if the check engine light is not on (which it is not), there are no codes to be read.

Btw, just to provide more details about the dealer recommendation: They recommended replacing the "brake master cylinder and service unit" for $4620 to address the Brake System light. Not sure what this means, and neither did the guy at the parts counter when I spoke to him. After doing some quick research, he figured the techs were probably recommending replacing the master cylinder as well as the full set of "servo modules." Obviously the car is not even worth $4620, so I'm looking for tips on how to diagnose the problem down to something specific.

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2018, 11:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bigfoot100
Sorry, do you mind explaining what "Blink Codes" means? Or point me to an explanation?
On my car (different model than yours) short two of the pins on the OBDII connector and it enables a mode where various lights blink on the dash to show status codes. On some other models there is a service connector where pins will be shorted instead. You will have to determine which is right for your car. For a general idea, look at a video like this one:

You will need a list of codes for your car though.

I talked to the dealer, and they told me there are no codes. Just the Brake System light. They insisted that if the check engine light is not on (which it is not), there are no codes to be read.
No engine codes maybe.

Btw, just to provide more details about the dealer recommendation: They recommended replacing the "brake master cylinder and service unit" for $4620 to address the Brake System light. Not sure what this means, and neither did the guy at the parts counter when I spoke to him. After doing some quick research, he figured the techs were probably recommending replacing the master cylinder as well as the full set of "servo modules." Obviously the car is not even worth $4620, so I'm looking for tips on how to diagnose the problem down to something specific.
I had a master cylinder replaced once. It cracked when the brakes were slammed on to avoid squishing a squirrel. It only cost a couple of hundred dollars to have it replaced. You might want to ask people you know for the name of a trusted independent repair shop and give them a try. It sounds like the dealer is just out to make the biggest $ possible off you.

Old 01-16-2023, 09:59 AM
Enthusiast

How did you fix the issue ?