HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Brake system makes a "fart" noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake system makes a "fart" noise

You do the same!

I was just thinking, when the service adviser called me back to tell me they were going to replace the brake booster and servo assembly (he was calling to tell me it would take overnight to get the part) he expressed surprise at how expensive the part was. I mentioned back that I was glad I had caught it while the car was under warranty in case it had gotten worse outside of warranty, that way I wouldn't be footing the bill for it. He told me that even had it been outside of warranty he was confident Honda would have covered it anyway.

On this one, in my case anyway, it's not readily reproducible so all it seemed to take was the service tech talked to me on the phone. I said it sounded exactly like the noise in the PDF TSB file, he asked how often it happened, I said it was weeks inbetween occurrences. That's all it took. On the paper work they had some mention that "verified noise with customer" so I think that's all Honda wants to see from the dealer for this type of issue.

Let us know what happens, I'd loose a lot of faith in Honda if they wouldn't take care of you on this.... especially when there is a service bulletin which basically admits to the issue.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Resident ICE Wizard

The dealers (I went to 3 for the issue) kept telling me that they couldn't reproduce it, so they couldn't do anything about . I called Honda about it a few times, but I didn't have any ammunition to go against them with. I never received a call back. I used to work just half a mile from their corporate offices, and stopped by one day to talk to someone about it, but they "didn't have anyone available" to talk to me about it. I was a bit perturbed they seemed to not care. Now that I have a copy of the TSB I'm sure I can get his taken care of. Thank for all your help.

Enjoy your holiday!!!

Jay

Old 07-18-2009, 01:15 PM
www.disczones.com

Does anyone have contact info on the SoCal warranty manager for Honda? I went to Honda Santa Ana (now called "Freeway Honda") and I mentioned the brake noise issue. As soon as I mentioned the TSB, they immediately told me I had to pay a $179 "diagnostic" fee and that if they could not reproduce the sound, they won't have to fix anything. I told them the sound is random and intermittent and they would not budge on the diagnostic fee. I really don't want to have to pay this fee as the car is under warranty. Can anyone offer any advice?

Old 07-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Unfortunately I believe you have to have a dealership initiate the contact for you. Are you out of warranty? I'd print out the TSB and take it to them and specifically point out that it says that the problem is intermittent and could be weeks in between occurrences. When the tech called me he asked again what it sounded like, how often it happened and I told him that it would some times go weeks in between it happening, then some times it would do it a few times in a day and that's all it took.

I wouldn't pay the diagnostic fee, you might be better off putting a video camera in your car and drive around until you get it recorded. If you still are under 36K or 3 years they should absolutely be fixing this free of charge.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:38 PM
www.disczones.com

I'm definitely in warranty and in fact I have the extended "Honda Care" warranty. I asked the service manager if I could speak to a regional manager and he refused unless there was an actual reproducible problem. I just got the feeling he wasn't willing to help me at all and just wanted to get money out of me for warranty repairs. I'm probably never going to buy another Honda again given this horrible experience.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'd be going to another dealer if I were you. That or I'd be calling Honda's 800 number and filing a complaint. Just be forewarned in my experience with them they will all but deny these things called TSB's.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Resident ICE Wizard

I had to wait for mine to be out of factory warranty, and use the extended warranty. There was a $50 deductible, but it was over $2500 in repairs, so it was worth it. They wouldn't even talk to me about repairing this under a TSB or factory warranty

Old 08-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Enthusiast

I get this sound from time to time as well. Mine's definitely out of warranty and shelling out 2.5K to fix it sounds like a load of crap. It doesn't seem to have any negative affect when I hear it. The sound usually comes in pairs, or a few times consecutively, but then doesn't do it for a long time (weeks). Oh well, hopefully the brakes keep working!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

dwichman

I got mine done a week ago or so. You need to get it done, and without paying for it. Bring the TSB. Tell them you feel that it is a safety issue with the car. The TSB talks about a "GoodWill" warranty if you are out of the 36k. Do you have the extended warranty?

Brian

Old 08-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

I have an '06 with 97K, no warranty. Has anyone else gotten this done on the "goodwill" consideration with no factory or extended warranty?

Last edited by dwichman; 08-14-2009 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake system makes a "fart" noise

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands