HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Colby, are you using e-85?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Colby, are you using e-85?

I thought that ethanol damages hoses and seals unless they are specifically made for it? Are you guys taking a gamble that it won't damage your cars?
I just did a search for E85 stations near me and although it comes up with 3, they are all private facilities with no public access? whats the score with that?

Old 03-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Buying Ethanol puts money towards the research to create these new biofuels, like buying a hybrid helps fund hybrid research. I like buying a clean renewable fuel, and hope that they can soon create a better way of making it.
Yes, but buying ethanol also perpetuates the internal combustion engine and dilutes focus away from developing more robust electric technologies.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chris(CA)
I thought that ethanol damages hoses and seals unless they are specifically made for it? Are you guys taking a gamble that it won't damage your cars?
I just did a search for E85 stations near me and although it comes up with 3, they are all private facilities with no public access? whats the score with that?
Ethanol eats through natural rubbers. New cars are made with synthetic rubbers, which are resistant to ethanol. We are taking a gamble, but not much of a gamble.
If you have only private E85 stations near you, you will not be able to fill up with E85.

Originally Posted by kristian
Yes, but buying ethanol also perpetuates the internal combustion engine and dilutes focus away from developing more robust electric technologies.
That's why I donate to EV research .

Old 03-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

I checked...only 1 public station near me that offers E85 (about 5 miles away I'd say) and the website said the pump was broken.....probably not an item I'd be tackling anytime soon then. Oh well, worth a look.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:40 PM

What bothers me about those sites where you can see E85 stations is that a lot of them list stations that are planned, but say that the station exists. I would definitely check in person to see if the station is actually open.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

The station itself exists (used to live in that area a couple years ago) but not sure about the pump though. There was an article that they were doing a promo late last year for the grand offering of E85. Either way, I'm very rarely down in that area anyway, so it'd be an extra trip to go fill up which essentially wastes fuel.