HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Do you find cruise control dificult to set?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do you find cruise control dificult to set?

Originally Posted by lkewin
I did not grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth , so I find the speed control very easy to set.
I think the one thing I would note however is that I accelerate to the speed I want to set the CC to, by using my accelerator peddle, then I press set and let off the accelerator. I
seldomly use the accelerate / decclerate button, which seems to be what your doing and noting the difficulty
You are correct about how I use the CC. I am trying to do as you do. However, there certainly is room for improvement on Honda's part.

The bimmer's is on a stalk. You push or pull it and it is set. A light circles up from zero to your speed on the outside of the speedometer. (the first time I saw it, I literally said "Oooo!" to the car) Tap the stick toward you and you lose 1 mph. Tap the stick away and you gain 1 mph. Pull the stick toward you and you lose 5 mph. Push the stick away and you gain 5 mph. The CC actually applies the brakes for you as well. It's like a little joystick to drive with. I love it. Oh, tap up or down cancels. Button on the end resumes.

BTW. No silver spoon needed for a $400/month lease.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

i rented a chevy a few months ago. it reminded me of one of MY gripes about the Prius cruise control... this stupid little chevy remembered that the CC had been set, even overnight, turned off, in the parking lot! and it remembered the set point you left it at, whether for a gas-station break, a lunch break, or a few hours of shopping break.

my prius seems to forget when i pull the CC lever, or hit the brakes, or whatever. it irks me to have to reset the target speed "all the time."

c'mon, Toyota.... listen up!

that, and where's the USB plug in the dash for uploading MP3s or plugging in the Garmin for a recharge... oh, and i'll copy this to the NAV thread... i bought the $250 or so update for the Nav disk this year, and it still thinks my house is about 200' from where my driveway actually is... but so does maps.google.com. does anyone care how poor these databases actually are? and several nearby roads which have been relocated something like 5-8 years ago either don't show up on the Prius NAV or the system tries to take me somewhere via dead-end roads. Very poor. i bought my wife a Garmin and have learned that the cost of these "upgrades" and being locked into whatever screen resolution the auto manufacturers were using when you bought the car is nowhere near as good as buying a (resaleable) hand-held and getting updates for it over the web.

again, Toyota, are you listening? do you have ears at all?

and i DO love the car itself.... really. comfort, handling gas mileage, storage capacity, quietness, ability to tow a small trailer... etc, etc.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by plusaf
i bought my wife a Garmin and have learned that the cost of these "upgrades" and being locked into whatever screen resolution the auto manufacturers were using when you bought the car is nowhere near as good as buying a (resaleable) hand-held and getting updates for it over the web.
Sorry to go so far off topic in this thread, but I agree, the portable Nav can go from car to car, does not go with the car you trade in, can even be used in a rental car or on vacation. And I find it to be technologically speaking better than most factory Nav systems - Honda Nav is likely an exception...

Old 10-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast

Mercedes-Benz's have the easiest cruise control to set. Just push the lever up, and its set.