Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   DVD Navigation is broken? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/dvd-navigation-broken-17792/)

nark 04-17-2008 07:05 PM

DVD Navigation is broken?

As I was driving back home today from work. My navigation hiccuped (see pic). Anyone have any idea what is going on? Thank goodness I am staying home from work tomorrow so that I can go and check out the dealership. Sucks though :(. My car has less than 10k on it and is only a year old. edit: its a 2007 civic hybrid with nav

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6770/img0474tp9.jpg

pagemap 04-17-2008 07:37 PM

Re: DVD Navigation is broken?

Did you try removing the DVD to inspect it? It could be scratched or damaged. Also, maybe removing and re-inserting the DVD might fix this.

nark 04-17-2008 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by pagemap (Post 168865)
Did you try removing the DVD to inspect it? It could be scratched or damaged. Also, maybe removing and re-inserting the DVD might fix this.

thats the first thing I did. THis happened two weeks ago for the first time. This was the second time that it happened. The DVD was clean as expected with very few scratches. Perhaps the laser is defunct?

giantquesadilla 04-18-2008 01:46 PM

Did you take it to the dealer? If so, what happened? If not you can try putting it into diagnostics mode:
1. Turn ignition to on (II) position.
2. Press and hold menu, map/guide, and cancel button for 3 seconds.
You can try and fool around with that to see if you get any information.
Let us know what happens

spinner 04-18-2008 05:59 PM

This is a long shot, but, do you smoke in your car?

bullet4 04-20-2008 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla (Post 168957)
Did you take it to the dealer? If so, what happened? If not you can try putting it into diagnostics mode:
1. Turn ignition to on (II) position.
2. Press and hold menu, map/guide, and cancel button for 3 seconds.
You can try and fool around with that to see if you get any information.
Let us know what happens

i dont advise doing this. your car is under warranty let the dealer fix it. most likely it needs a new nav/audio unit. ive seen a few of these recently due to faulty cradles in the dvd unit for the nav disc. the disc wobbles in the cradle and scratches the disc.

as for the self diag mode i dont know if any of you know this but you can do irrepairable damage by clicking a couple different things in the nav diag mode. and a disc read error wont be detected by the self diag anyway. that mode is more for us to diag controller and button problems and to check to make sure gps antennas are working and to install newer software

nark 04-20-2008 10:21 PM

giantquesadilla: I took it to the dealer. I couldnt leave it for too long, but the guy said that the DVD was severely scratched on the outside. I did not notice it the first time as I was looking on the inside. Theres a ~3 mm wide scratch that goes all the way around the disc. Bullet basicly said word for word exactly what the guy at the dealership said. seriously, word for word. It seems there are a few units out there that scratch the dvd.

spinner: no, I dont spoke or let anyone even eat in my car.

i will take it to the dealer next week to get it replaced hopefully. Still under warranty so it should be good.

Thank you all for your help.

giantquesadilla 04-22-2008 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by bullet4 (Post 169152)
i dont advise doing this. your car is under warranty let the dealer fix it. most likely it needs a new nav/audio unit. ive seen a few of these recently due to faulty cradles in the dvd unit for the nav disc. the disc wobbles in the cradle and scratches the disc.

as for the self diag mode i dont know if any of you know this but you can do irrepairable damage by clicking a couple different things in the nav diag mode. and a disc read error wont be detected by the self diag anyway. that mode is more for us to diag controller and button problems and to check to make sure gps antennas are working and to install newer software

Thanks. I didn't know that. I don't have a nav, so I have never tried this diagnostics function.

bullet4 04-24-2008 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by nark (Post 169201)
giantquesadilla: I took it to the dealer. I couldnt leave it for too long, but the guy said that the DVD was severely scratched on the outside. I did not notice it the first time as I was looking on the inside. Theres a ~3 mm wide scratch that goes all the way around the disc. Bullet basicly said word for word exactly what the guy at the dealership said. seriously, word for word. It seems there are a few units out there that scratch the dvd.

spinner: no, I dont spoke or let anyone even eat in my car.

i will take it to the dealer next week to get it replaced hopefully. Still under warranty so it should be good.

Thank you all for your help.

glad to be of assistance. every once in a while i know what im talking about:shade:

nark 04-24-2008 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by bullet4 (Post 169861)
glad to be of assistance. every once in a while i know what im talking about:shade:

hehe, that sounds hard to believe. It seems like you know what you are talking about all the time. I will check out the dealer this sat.

bullet4 04-25-2008 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by nark (Post 169870)
hehe, that sounds hard to believe. It seems like you know what you are talking about all the time. I will check out the dealer this sat.

please dont feed the ego...its already overweight:D

nark 08-10-2008 11:21 AM

woops, I guess I didnt update this thread with my results. I took it to the dealer and they advised a dvd replacement because the one in my unit was scratched on the outside. Ok, great. I get the DVD replacement. Now driving to a friends place during rush hour and the fact that I was late didnt help things, the NAV spazs out. Gets the same error. That was on Friday. Now the same thing happened yesterday while going to visit other friends. Turns out the nav disc is scratched AGAIN!!!! So back to the dealer it goes. Thankfully, I need to get an oil change anyways so I will be taking it in Monday.

Hybrid Bob J 08-12-2008 11:26 AM

So I haven't received my new 08 HCHII yet and are you saying that the nav is done off of DVD and not HD or prom? That seems a bit old school doesn't it?

What is the reason for that?

HBJ

nark 08-12-2008 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hybrid Bob J (Post 184372)
So I haven't received my new 08 HCHII yet and are you saying that the nav is done off of DVD and not HD or prom? That seems a bit old school doesn't it?

What is the reason for that?

HBJ

yup, the navigation is DVD based. A lot of cars use that for their nav, such as the prius. I guess the reason is that they can update a few points on the map and charge $300+ for a new version of the disc. But its also causing me a headache because I have to waste half a day at a time so they can "check" what the issue is, essentially leaving me car-less for that half a day. Arent dealers supposed to rent out cars for warranty work?

nsxrox 08-12-2008 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hybrid Bob J (Post 184372)

Who uses HD or prom? Are you thinking of a TomTom?

Hybrid Bob J 08-13-2008 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by nsxrox (Post 184418)
Who uses HD or prom? Are you thinking of a TomTom?

I was thinking of the same type of implementation...like a TomTom/Garmin/Magellan...these seem to work well and you wouldn't have this DVD going bad issue. As long as there was a connector to do updates to...this would be a better solution and faster re-calculations too!

Here is another question...if the DVD is in for navigation...can you use the player for CD's or is it one or the other?

HBJ

nsxrox 08-13-2008 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Hybrid Bob J (Post 184462)
Here is another question...if the DVD is in for navigation...can you use the player for CD's or is it one or the other?

HBJ

There's two slots, one for CDs, and one for the Nav DVD.

Hybrid Bob J 08-13-2008 07:38 AM

NSXROX,

Thanks for that info...I am getting close to delivery...the sales rep said it was coming in the week of 8/18 - 8/22 and it is also the Magenetic Pearl w/nav version like yours!

What kind of warranty is on the nav DVD if any?

HBJ

nark 08-13-2008 08:39 AM

should be 3 yr/36,000 miles.

caholla 08-13-2008 01:57 PM

Someone posted earlier about a mounting problem on the navigation system that allows the disc to contact an inner surface and ruin the disc. Might be worth digging around to find that thread. The guy was a Honda tech too.

nark 08-13-2008 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by caholla (Post 184521)
Someone posted earlier about a mounting problem on the navigation system that allows the disc to contact an inner surface and ruin the disc. Might be worth digging around to find that thread. The guy was a Honda tech too.

would you happen to know any keywords I can use to search for this thread? I searched nav and went through 14 pages of posts and could not find anything.

zeta_msz_006 08-13-2008 10:11 PM

Isn't that reply number 6 in this very thread?

caholla 08-14-2008 05:03 AM

Eureka! You found it!

nark 08-14-2008 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by zeta_msz_006 (Post 184559)
Isn't that reply number 6 in this very thread?

yeah, I read that one. and here I thought he was talking about a different thread.

caholla 08-14-2008 10:04 AM

I would shoot bullet4 (tony) an email and ask him for some help. Perhaps there's a document or something specific that he can tell you to advise your dealership to check. I would then sit down with the service manager and provide him anything that you find out.

It seems like they would be willing to replace/repair the nav headunit rather than replacing DVDs at $100+ a pop.

nark 08-16-2008 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by caholla (Post 184610)
I would shoot bullet4 (tony) an email and ask him for some help. Perhaps there's a document or something specific that he can tell you to advise your dealership to check. I would then sit down with the service manager and provide him anything that you find out.

It seems like they would be willing to replace/repair the nav headunit rather than replacing DVDs at $100+ a pop.

Hey Caholla, thanks for the advice. I should have done that if I went to my regular dealer. I decided to take my car to another dealer by work and I had a much more positive experience. They only took about 30 minutes (probably less, I wasnt keeping tracking) before confirming the nav failure. They said they will order the unit and a new disc and will give me a call when it arrives. The other dealer said they would need half a day to "take a look." Look at what? i dont know, since theres really only a 50-50 chance of whats going on. Either the disc is defective, or the slot is. Since it isn't the disc, it doesnt take a genius to figure out its the player. I'll keep you guys updated, been about a week without the nav.

nark 08-24-2008 12:22 AM

Ok, well I took it to the dealer yesterday and they replaced the entire unit. They also didnt mention the fact that they were going to replace the entire unit and to take out the CF and CD that I had in the old unit. Now they are telling me it will take 6-8 weeks to receive my stuff in the mail....

So the Unit that they put in is a model SNAZ-A2 with Serial #:

HCB23003180

while the old serial # was:

HBB22003407

Do you guys know what might be different between the two units? This one is more of a dark tan/light black color, while the older one was pure black. Did I get a 06 navi or an 08? I am hoping its either a newer 07 or an 08, but it just seems a lot thicker (when opened) than my previous unit. It also is a lot louder than the previous unit.

caholla 08-24-2008 07:19 AM

This my understanding of honda parts:

39540-SNA-??1ZA is the nav for blue interior
39540-SNA-??1ZB is the nav for taupe interior

?? = model year
A3 = 2008
A2 = 2007
A1 = 2006

nark 08-24-2008 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by caholla (Post 185401)
This my understanding of honda parts:

39540-SNA-??1ZA is the nav for blue interior
39540-SNA-??1ZB is the nav for taupe interior

?? = model year
A3 = 2008
A2 = 2007
A1 = 2006

Per the invoice, I got 39540-SNA-A30ZBRM which would be the 2008 navi for the taupe interior. Caholla, would you happen to know the difference, if any, between the 07 and the 08 unit?

caholla 08-24-2008 11:20 AM

Long answer:

Honda uses the model year indicator to note the model year of the vehicle that the part was produced for. It's similar to a version number, however if there is a significant change in the part design or functionality, a completely new part number is assigned rather than a versioning of the original.

Across the board right now, A3 parts are installed in new '08s and also whenever a replacement part for an '06-'08 is called for.

The RM on the end of the part number = remanufactured. Which is not a big deal, doesn't affect future warranty claims, etc. With a core swap, the RM model is like $400 as opposed to $4000 for an off the shelf new one. What Honda does is ship the navi systems back to Alpine for repair and when they come back to Honda, it's given an A3????RM designation, regardless as to whether it was originally an A1, A2 or A3.

Since the '09 navi has bluetooth, the '09 unit should have an altogether different part number with an A1. I'm 99% certain of this and that A3 will be the version for this part series...Meaning the '06-'08 replacement parts will remain 39540-SNA-A31??RM. The exception would be if there were a unit recall or some other unexpected event that would call for a new version of the same design to be built. In that case there would be an A4 version and the A4s would only be put in as replacement units for '06-'08 MY vehicles. This is highly unlikely.

That does not mean, however that the '09 unit will not work in an '06-'08. It just means that there was a significant enough change in the design for Honda to want to differentiate.

Short Answer:

Honda has their own special method to part numbers and versions of part numbers. There may be a difference in the '06, '07 and '08 parts, but Honda does not consider any differences to be significant enough to give it a new part number. When parts for a new model year are built, and there is no 'significant' (to Honda) changes to the design, a new version code is given to the existing part number. When replacement parts are ordered, Honda will send the version it has on hand. When Honda receives remanufactured parts back in from the supplier, it designates the part with the latest version, followed by RM. The '09 headunit will likely have a completely new part number and an A1 version rather than a A4 version of the existing part series, as it will have standard bluetooth.

JetfireK 08-24-2008 01:25 PM

There is a way to open the Navigation and reset it...Look in your manual if you do not hav one then look on line at the Navigation system manufacturer...ALL GPS...RESET....

nark 08-25-2008 08:44 AM

Thanks a lot Caholla, that was a lot of very useful information. It helps put my mind at ease somewhat. So when they replace the navi, does the original warranty still apply or is there a new 3 yr/36k warranty on it? If the former, if they replace it at 35,999 miles and I drive it out of the shop and it breaks again, I would need to fork over the money to replace it again right?

JetFireK: Not sure what you mean, why would I want to reset the navi?

caholla 08-25-2008 11:01 AM

Replacement parts have a balance of factory warranty or 1 yr - 12000 mile warranty, whichever is greater.

JetfireK's message is a head scratcher. I still haven't figured it out...

JetfireK 08-26-2008 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by caholla (Post 185509)
Replacement parts have a balance of factory warranty or 1 yr - 12000 mile warranty, whichever is greater.

JetfireK's message is a head scratcher. I still haven't figured it out...

Resetting your GPS if it quits working....I have a Garmin Nuvi 880, grandson has a Garmin (whatever) these are Portable

If the GPS stops working turn it off and on again.
If the problem persists:
Slide the power key to the left and hold it there for 8 seconds.
It should then operate normally.
You can also remove and reinstall the battery to reset the Nuvi GPS

Also do this. To have on hand.
If your GPS did not come with an operators manual
Go on the internet, print the manual,
Take it to Kinkos or Office Depot and have them size it down bind it with a nice cover. I think its 12 dollars...and YOUR SPECIFIC MANUAL WILL TELL YOU HOW TO RESET YOUR GPS.
THEY DO NOT BREAK......THEY JUST NEED RESETTING..

AND FINALLY...I am still waiting for my Sport 2door HB to arrive in Port....

caholla 08-26-2008 10:44 AM

Your suggestion has nothing to do with the factory installed DVD Navigation system...and nothing to do with the problems covered in this thread...

zeta_msz_006 08-26-2008 11:03 AM

I am guessing jetfireK does not realize that the factory GPSs are disc based and not memory based, like the handheld Garmins he is talking about.

nark 08-26-2008 02:12 PM

Caholla: Thanks for your help so far. I still need to take my car back because they did a darn shitty job at installing the new nav. Its sticking out about an inch from the dash.

caholla 08-26-2008 03:54 PM

Not excusing the workmanship, but I'm willing to wager that this was probably the first Civic unit your technician has installed. It should be an easy enough fix (once the dash comes apart again LOL).

bar10dah 03-26-2009 06:31 PM

I found the TSB that covers this problem with the Navi unit scratching the DVD. I think it was a CR-V forum that I found it in. Hope it helps.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A08-051.PDF