HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

The emergency brake handle is killing my knee!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: The emergency brake handle is killing my knee!

Thanks to bdbx18 for the suggestion on how to bend the hand brake handle. It sounds like this might help eliminate one of the reasons we might not buy a Honda Civic Hybrid. I'm 6' 8" and the hand brake was an immediately obvious issue as soon as we sat in the car. Unfortunately, this is a really dumb issue for the car to have at all since there seems to be plenty of room to make it lay flat to begin with...

Now, if we can just get over the limited interior colors (dirt-showing "ivory" or blue... blue and not grey or charcoal -- what are they thinking...) and hideous bright blue instruments (I can live with their layout, but their bright blue color bugs me).

We really would like the 10 extra MPG, but may end up with either the Toyota Camry Hybrid or the Nissan Altima Hybrid because of these issues...

Old 04-21-2008, 05:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wow, are you sure you can't find anything about the Altima and Camry that bugs you?

BTW, the dash lights are adjustable.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

[quote=thehorsts;169207]Now, if we can just get over the limited interior colors (dirt-showing "ivory" or blue... blue and not grey or charcoal -- what are they thinking...) and hideous bright blue instruments (I can live with their layout, but their bright blue color bugs me).

That is a matter of taste, one of my driving factors for purchace was the blue/tan interior....I HATED the grey non hybrid interior....and I for one LOVE the dash layout and color.....take a look at a prius if you want to see hideous (in my opinion).

So, I suspect, Honda was thinking, hey lets make the Hybrid a little different cause everyone has different tastes and it can then be a little secret among hybrid drivers so they can spot one another in traffic (wheels & shark fin antena).

Old 04-21-2008, 07:03 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noflash
Wow, are you sure you can't find anything about the Altima and Camry that bugs you?

BTW, the dash lights are adjustable.
Not so much, in terms of the Altima & Camry. With the HCH, it's currently:

#1 Hand Brake = potential of daily pain while driving it
#2 Ivory Interior = too much potential for looking very dirty really quickly -- especially with 2 kids playing baseball. The blue just isn't a color we like.
#3 Bright Blue Instruments = Again, blue ("cool") colors aren't our thing; not sure why they simply didn't make them more neutral and let people pick their interior color they like.

Regarding the adjustable dash lights... How adjustable are they? Can I actually change their color? My current radio my current car can change it's display color to blue, amber, or green, but I assumed that wasn't true with the HCH -- especially since it appears that the center of the speedometer just just a big decal.

Current plan:
#1 = Perhaps bending it per the earlier post.
#2 = Wait for the '09 models to see if they introduce some new interior color choices.
#3 = Learn to live with the ugly blue if #1 and #2 can be fixed.

Otherwise, it's a "no go".

I'd actually buy a Prius over any of these, but my knees actually rub the dashboard in it.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thehorsts
#2 Ivory Interior = too much potential for looking very dirty really quickly -- especially with 2 kids playing baseball. The blue just isn't a color we like.
Get some seat covers and be done with it.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by thehorsts

#1 Hand Brake = potential of daily pain while driving it
#3 Bright Blue Instruments = Again, blue ("cool") colors aren't our thing; not sure why they simply didn't make them more neutral and let people pick their interior color they like.

Regarding the adjustable dash lights... How adjustable are they? Can I actually change their color? My current radio my current car can change it's display color to blue, amber, or green, but I assumed that wasn't true with the HCH -- especially since it appears that the center of the speedometer just just a big decal.

Current plan:
#1 = Perhaps bending it per the earlier post.
#2 = Wait for the '09 models to see if they introduce some new interior color choices.
#3 = Learn to live with the ugly blue if #1 and #2 can be fixed.

Otherwise, it's a "no go".

I'd actually buy a Prius over any of these, but my knees actually rub the dashboard in it.
These aren't deal-breakers to own one of the best cars on the road.
  1. I have pipe insulation on the e-brake. It does the job, and if I ever find any thing better I'll use that.
  2. I have a kid, a dog, and no problems with the Ivory interior. Muddy paw prints wipe right off with a damp cloth.
  3. The "Bright Blue Instruments" are dimable -- that takes car of the "Bright". If you can deal with the blue you're set.
I could not settle for a 30-mpg car. No way do those nitpicks compare with the satisfaction of filling up once every three weeks for $30.

Still, couldn't hurt to wait a bit for the '09s.

Good luck, nf

Old 04-22-2008, 09:13 AM

I could not settle for a 30-mpg car. No way do those nitpicks compare with the satisfaction of filling up once every three weeks for $30.
When I first got my car, my 3-week fillup would be less than $30. Now it's hovering around $40, depending on how far I go. You are very luck to only be spending $30!!!