Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   HCH owner sues Honda over mileage claims (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/hch-owner-sues-honda-over-mileage-claims-14326/)

livvie 07-06-2007 11:35 AM

Re: HCH owner sues Honda over mileage claims

This is where all hybrids have screwed up. There should be a mode that doesn't require the driver to "learn" how to drive a hybrid.

kenny 07-06-2007 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by livvie (Post 132918)
This is where all hybrids have screwed up. There should be a mode that doesn't require the driver to "learn" how to drive a hybrid.

No, all cars get under EPA if you drive the way 90% of drivers drive.

A hybrid just tells you.

Put a MPG meter on the dash of EVERY car and everyone will be screaming bloody murder.

Mr. Kite 07-06-2007 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by livvie (Post 132918)

:confused: Are you joking? How would this "idiot mode" be different from the mode that we all use on a daily basis? I didn't have to learn how to drive my vehicle to get EPA numbers. I was there before I ever found this website.

laurie 07-06-2007 12:52 PM

if mr. true drives as most of the drivers i see on daily basis drive, no wonder he's getting low mileage.

i have had hondas since 1985, and the first two weren't hybrids. however, i was still able to get above 40 MPG on a regular basis, before i even paid attention to the EPA guestimates. and a post above is correct, everybody should be able to drive for high mileage, but they don't want to. how many articles have made the news in recent months about techniques like slowing down, not racing from light to light, making use of some coasting, etc etc etc. nobody "sees" them.

as far as my HCHI....when i first got it i took it on a road trip to duluth, mn, lots of hills. i could easily see the results of the gauges as i drove and learned what made them work. seems to me if a driver was paying attention, he would see when to ease up and when to accelerate. it's right in front of your nose.

my last 4 fills have been around 60MPG, and i had a tank that went for 801 miles. and that's on a car that the EPA now rates at 45. but i didn't do it with my foot to the floor driving 75.

gumby 07-06-2007 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by kenny (Post 132919)
... all cars get under EPA if you drive the way 90% of drivers drive.

A hybrid just tells you.

Put a MPG meter on the dash of EVERY car and everyone will be screaming bloody murder.

Amen. (That's what I preach.) :lightbulb

PapaMile 07-06-2007 08:07 PM

Your average would not be that good neigher if you had to carry a piano everyday. :note::note2::note::shade:

Pierre

gumby 07-07-2007 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by PapaMile (Post 132991)
Your average would not be that good neigher if you had to carry a piano everyday. :note::note2::note::shade:

Pierre

Good point.

livvie 07-09-2007 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by kenny (Post 132919)
No, all cars get under EPA if you drive the way 90% of drivers drive.

A hybrid just tells you.

A lot of cars have the mpg meter on it. If I drive my hybrid like I drive my Mini, I too will get very low mpg. I shouldn't have to feather the throttle to get the more efficient mode to kick in.

livvie 07-09-2007 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite (Post 132929)
:confused: Are you joking? How would this "idiot mode" be different from the mode that we all use on a daily basis? I didn't have to learn how to drive my vehicle to get EPA numbers. I was there before I ever found this website.

well good for you.

Mr. Kite 07-09-2007 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by livvie (Post 133261)
well good for you.

It's a testament to the car, not me. It was easy for me to beat the EPA numbers in my 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid (with no special techniques). In contrast, it was nearly impossible for me to beat the EPA numbers in my 2005 Honda Odyssey. That's all.