HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Is Honda quality slipping? Or is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Is Honda quality slipping? Or is this normal?

I can agree with almost all of that, Spinner. I think these still are fine cars, just not quite up to the old Honda standards that I remember from my first one. I'm still happy I bought it.

Poor design on the spoiler issue, plain and simple. And 3 years to come up with this weak "fix" just razzes me a little. The true fix is simply a better, tougher, less-flexing spoiler, & repaint. Wow. How hard is that? That didn't take me 3 years to figure out. In fact, I think I mentioned this solution long long ago on this very forum.
And it IS pretty obvious when waxing your car. At least on Magnetic Pearl paint, it is. And eventually, it might become a rust issue. It would be very obvious then.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Energy Independence

I haven't noticed that issue at all. Is it just when getting in/out or is it squeaky during driving?
The window channel thing is a well-known issue by Honda. I think it affects all Civics not just the hybrids. I think they said the newer ones have had it addressed at the factory.
Almost 52K miles on mine. Still doing well.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:25 AM
Enthusiastically Active

I have nearly 70k miles on our 06 civic hybrid and none of your issues. I haven't had a single problem, I have also ignored the recall notices because I am not happy with my local dealer.....

Old 05-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Same here. Best car I've owned. Unless something serious breaks, I'd much rather do it myself... so like you, no dealer will likely ever touch my car for recalls or anything else.

The only "problem" I've had in 40k on my 2006 is an occasional rattle from the driver's seatbelt top anchor point. Just touch the height adjuster and it's fine for a few more weeks!

Of course, I wish there were some design improvements on the car (like a way to force it to autostop whenever you want!)... but those aren't quality issues. The car is performing as designed.

By the way, I've worked in the OE automotive business for 30 years. A "field fix" or even a "recall" doesn't mean that every part or every vehicle will fail. Most such items have failure rates of 5% or less. Many recalls are for items with failures well below 1%... but they're forced to address the issue because they are safety or emission related.

I don't know about these specific items (since I don't work for Honda), but I'd bet that 95% or more HCHII's on the road don't have any fault whatsoever with door glass channels, rear control arms, spoiler paint, brake farts, etc.

That said... if you DO have a problem with one of those known issues, (and the part isn't beyond it's normal design life) then they should take care of it without making it difficult for you. If the dealer won't cover the cost on an out-of-warranty field fix, then contact Honda owner relations for assistance and ask to talk with the zone / district service manager if you don't get the answers you want.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I know I had nothing but trouble with my 06 EX Sedan. I had a grasp on the rear control arm issue within months of owning it. Not to mention all the other issues with it.

If the new HCHII shows any issues. It's gone! I dumped my 06 Civic for a 07 Mazda3. The Mazda does everything better than the Civic except,,, MPG.

No more Honda junkers allowed here.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have 42k on my 2007. I visited the dealer once to check on the rear control arms - they said mine were not part of the TSB. I live less than 5 miles from the dealer.

So no problem here....

On another matter - don't dealers do amazingly well with used car trades and resales? We just sold a 96 civic and bought a 2007 Accord - we saved just about $5000 by doing it all private market and the Accord only has 25k miles so there isn't even a warranty concern. We sold to the first person that saw the civic (that responded an hour after a craigslist ad) and we looked at 4 cars total - that did take some driving around. Total cost was $10k ($13,400 and $3200). It easily would have been $15k at a dealer.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

I've been wondering the same thing. My 07 HCH now has 32k miles, and I have already had 5 quality issues.

Rear control arms - enough said about that already, and no, they wouldn't replace my prematurely worn tires.

Spoiler scuffing - dealer finally "fixed" this, but only took 2 weeks for the problem to re-appear.

Right rear window motor failed - replaced.

Sun visor failure - Dealer replaced, but I was told there had been no correction of the problem. Also was told warranty for visor replacement was extended to 72k miles.

Center console latch failed - this just happened last week. The console won't stay down unless it's extended all the way forward.

Very disappointing, but the bigger concern is that such a wide variety of issues on one vehicle makes me think there is a systemic, company wide problem with quality. How many more parts of my car will be affected by this after warranty expires?

Honda's reluctance to admit and address issues is also a concern.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast

Mine has the window issue, the rear control arm issue and the cover over the vent in the front on the right side will not stay in place so i just pulled it off. blah!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast

My wife and I have both owned Honda's since the late 80's. All have achieved over 250,000 miles with minimal maintenance - oil, tires, batteries, lights, clutch, belts and standard wear and tear. Never any major problems. We bought an 07 HCH and and 08 HCH, and both had the rear control arm issue, and the 07 has the window problem, but is out of warranty - 45,000 - I like the car, but I don't like how Honda and the dealer don't notify you about the issues. I took my car in for the control arm issue and mentioned the window problem - I had researched the control arm and was prepared to argue if they wouldn't cover it through the goodwill program - I didn't haggle over the tires - I just wanted the proper parts installed. After taking some time they were able to get the work approved. However, they came back with a quote for $843 to fix the window - the "advisor" said they would have to replace the glass, the regulator, and the track. I asked why they would have to replace the glass and the "advisor" could only say that the regulator is attached to the glass - this made no sense, since there is nothing wrong with the glass. I decided not to have the repair done until I did a little more research.The "advisor" made no mention of TSB 06-014. I did my window research over here and of course there is a known issue. The reason they have to replace the glass is because it is not to spec. Now I have to take my car back in and fill out the goodwill paperwork again and keep my fingers crossed that they will replace the window for no charge. This affects both front windows, but the lesser used passenger side won't fail until much later, at which point Honda will say - it happens! OF course my 1990 Accord with 295,000 miles on it, never had an issue with any of the windows!

Now I have to seriously consider purchasing the Extended Warranty for the 08 - I don't think Honda cares as much as they used to about quality - the reason they have a 36,000 mile warranty is because they are coasting on past success. I think they are going to be losing customers due to lower quality.

I can no longer say how wonderful Honda is after having experienced the latest issues with buying brand new cars - they aren't making them like they used to - bummer!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi twohch
It sounds to me like you should look for another service department? I don't think Honda Mtrs. is the problem? I have to agree Honda is having issue's with the IMA system however. Prius seems to have a bullet proof pack where as Honda's pack is suspect?
I have been concerned about this issue with my HCH2[IMApack, CVT] so yesterday I went and checked out the Prius 3. Nice car but not near the fit and finish of the HCH2? I purchased my first Honda in 2006 after testing the Prius first. I would still purchase Honda again today! Hal

Quick Reply: Is Honda quality slipping? Or is this normal?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands