HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How much gas and money are you REALLY saving ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How much gas and money are you REALLY saving ????

I didn't do it for the money-savings.

I did it for the Earth-savings.

I pray for +$5/gallon.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Bottom line everyone has to do what feels appropriate to them...

I have driven both sides of the spectrum in my HCH, and must say that there is a happy median... for me that is more towards fuel economy, but not so much that I annoy others with extreme slow poke habits. Nor am I going to drive 70MPH on the highway just to keep up with trafffic... If I need to get somewhere or wish to pass, I may drive 75 or 80MPH because I wish to, not to please others on the road, or move with the flow, or other lame reason...

Oh, and to answer the main question in the thread title, I figure that I am saving $100/month over driving my "other" choice, and that would have been a Civic Si. Premium fuel and I would have NEVER gained the insight I have with the ownership of the Hybrid! No regrets here, though I do admire the 4dr Si...

Old 12-01-2006, 06:35 PM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl

I have had my 06 HCH for a full year now. I have saved $1300 in gas over my previous vehicle, a Ford Ranger.

I have traveled 18,000 miles, with a year long average of just over 48 MPG. Worse tank has been 43 mpg, best 52 mpg. Expenses have been 2 oil changes (one just a week ago), tire rotation with each oil change. I had my odometer fixed. It did not do the "reset", but it never kept an average. No problems with the new one. This was free, of course.

I have been happy, for the most part. Car does not like 100F days of Texas heat, which led to some of my poorest mileage. I have made some changes in how I drive, and my AC settings, which have helped increase my mileage in the last few months.

Worth the investment, regardless of gas saved, and lowest polution? You bet!!

Bob, Georgetown, TX

Old 12-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Unless you do a tremendous amount of driving, it really does not pay to buy a hybrid.

My old gas gussling full size conversion van cost less overall per month to own than my HCHII, even though it only got on 11 or 12 mpg. Yes, my gas bill has gone down, but my insurance has more than doubled, I made a nice down payment and still have monthly payments to make for a few years that exceed my monthly gas expenditure with my van..

I knew all this before I purchased my HCHII. I think the choice to invest in a hybrid for most is not dollars and cents but total value. I made the decision to go with Honda because of the whole package - safety, reliability, styling, comfort, fuel economy, ecology, etc.. I went with the hybrid because I felt I would make back the extra investment over time and felt good about driving a virtually pollution free vehicle.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default If one does a comparison to a non-hybrid Civic...

The numbers are not all that bad.

a 2007 Civic EX with Navigation is $21260.
a 2007 Civic HB with Navigation is 24920.
The 2006 Tax credit for the Hybrid is $2100.
On average most folks save about $100/mo in fuel costs.

In our case, our 07 Hybrid cost $24200 minus the tax credit is $22100.

We replaced a car that had 110,000 miles on it, and sold it for $16,000. So the actual incremental acquisition cost of the hybrid was $6100.

The old car cost about $250 - $300 a month in fuel costs, and we were projecting an annual maintenance cost of about $3000.

The Hybrid is running about $150 a month in fuel costs, and we project that the annual maintenance for the car will be about $300 (oil/filters/CVT fluid, amortized tire costs).

Insurance on both cars is a wash, with the Civic being slightly cheaper.

So the old car cost $6600 a year to operate, and the Civic is projected to cost $2100 a year to operate, for a net savings of $4500/yr. With that we see that break-even is at 16 months.

I have a feeling that the recent drop in oil prices is only temporary, and that over the next year the fuel savings cost will narrow the break-even point to a year. Plus in California, we can drive in the car pool lane, and our city gives Hybrid owners free parking passes on all the streets and garages.

Now if one does the same calculation with the Civic EX, the incremental acquisition costs are higher (though with discounts they may end up being the same), and the operating costs are higher due to higher monthly fuel costs. Break-even with that car would be longer.

Residual values on a Hybrid are higher than on a non-Hybrid.

All in all, purchasing a Hybrid on pure economic rational has merit, but so does just doing your part in reducing use of fossil fuels.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

aaaa about 1300 a year at 2.12/gallon average. But I also spend less time at gas stations, and looking for gas stations under "inconvenient" circumstances. Also musch less airpollution, and less petrodollars to nations that sponsor terrorism.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noflash
I didn't do it for the money-savings.

I did it for the Earth-savings.

I pray for +$5/gallon.
Thats easy move to europe!!

Here in the Netherlands we pay € 1,39 per liter, let me do the math for you. That is $ 1.85 per liter or $ 7.01 per gallon!

That takes care of your problem, please let me now if you need any help with making the arrangements.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast

We literally went from spending close to $400/month on gas to $150/month. Our vehicles used to be a VW Touareg (leaves turn faster than this vehicle) and a MB SLK230. The VW shook like a coke addict whenever it would pass a gas station; we were lucky to get 16MPG in the city (most of the time we were getting 14-15). The beast had a 26.4 gallon tank and would require premium. The gas light would come on around 300 miles; talk about pain at the pump! Replacing that with the HCHII was a very smart thing to do. My $60 fill ups once a week are now $20 every OTHER week. In our case, we are laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:04 PM

I never look at my gauges, lean burn, or drive with the load.
That is all too much trouble for me.
Yet, I average 63.1 MPG.
I’m # 2 in the database (BTW notice how # 1 stopped keeping track before it started snowing in Japan?)

I also find it very relaxing to drive gently.
I’m never late, so I never need to rush.
Low stress.

It is a mentality that affects my whole life.
I don’t try to do more than what is possible.
I live within my means and don’t expect myself to be superman in every way.
Life in a first-world country is too high-pressure.
We expect too much of ourselves.
I’ve opted out!
I’m very happy.

Also I think America is in trouble because we use too much oil.
I feel good that I’m doing the right thing by minimizing my consumption (while still enjoying all the selfish benefits of driving alone in a private car.)
If I was more PC I’d use public transportation, but I’m not.

Plus the less gas I burn the less emissions I produce which helps with the global warming problem.

But you should drive however you want.
Nobody is holding a gun to your head.
You don’t have to justify it or compare yourself to others.
People vary.

Peace!

Last edited by kenny; 12-04-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by BlueVFRank
Thats easy move to europe!!

Here in the Netherlands we pay € 1,39 per liter, let me do the math for you. That is $ 1.85 per liter or $ 7.01 per gallon!

That takes care of your problem, please let me now if you need any help with making the arrangements.
Thanks for offering to help?

I really pray that America sees $5/gallon. It's the only way to break our addiction.

Thanks for leading the way, BlueVFRank!

Quick Reply: How much gas and money are you REALLY saving ????

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands