Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   IMA Warning Light (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/ima-warning-light-13858/)

Rich 06-04-2007 05:38 PM

IMA Warning Light

While driving at about 50 mph today, the IMA, Battery and Check engine lights came on at the same time. The IMA assist was no longer functioning. Otherwise the car drove as normal.

I pulled the car to the side of the road to read the manual on what to do. I restarted the car and only the check engine light came on. The IMA assist was now working as normal. I drove about 50 feet and the other lights came on again and the IMA assist stopped working. I stopped the car and restarted. Once again, only the check engine light was on. I continued to drive and the problem did not reoccur.

I called my Honda dealer and they told me I should definitely bring the car in to be checked. I asked if it was okay to drive it and they said yes, as long as it drove as normal, which it did.

The IMA and Battery warning lights came on once more, the IMA assist stopped working, etc. I pulled to the side of the road, restarted the car, and it has been fine since except that the Check Engine light has rmained on. The car drives as normal and my gas mileage has stayed normal.

Has anyone else had this problem? The car is a 2007 with approximately 2000 miles on it. Until today, there have been no problems.

Thanks for any help you can give. I go to the Honda dealer on Wednesday and it would be helpful for me to know as much as possible before going.

Rich

leahbeatle 06-04-2007 06:28 PM

Re: IMA Warning Light

A few quick questions. Was your battery fully charged when this happened? The only time my IMA has stopped working was when my battery was really low, after too much accelerating. Is there any chance you were running your radio, headlights, A/C full blast, and hitting the accelerator too much, anything that would drain the battery?

What were the road conditions? Weather? Gas tank full? Anything unusual when you were driving it, stops and starts, funny shudders or bumps? Just trying to get a better picture.

Rich 06-04-2007 07:28 PM

My battery was charged (7 bars). I was running the ac, radio, and windshield wipers, not a new scenario. I shut radio and ac off after the first time, but as mentioned it did it again. Battery was charged 6 or 7 bars. I was not accelerating but coasting downhill the first time. It was raining, the gas tank was half full. Nothing unusual with how the car was driving.

PapaMile 06-04-2007 07:44 PM

I suggest you to read this thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=10393

Pierre

msantos 06-04-2007 08:23 PM

Leah:
Unfortunately, this problem is quite common with the early 2007 production batch.

Rich:
The solution typically involves few days worth of downtime at the dealership. Once the position sensors are replaced your problem should be resolved.

Cheers;

MSantos

cawfebug 06-05-2007 06:34 PM

Hello Rich,

Yes, this happened to me a couple days before memorial day weekend. It was the Motor Rotor Position Sensor, which was bad. They said it was a fairly complex job. The part was on backorder. My dealership recommended that I not drive it too much (only to the dealer). It took about a week (waiting for part and for time to repair). I told them to take their time.

Make sure you are put in a rental car / loaner. We deserve it - buying a new car and having to take apart a lot of nuts and bolts. I would also recommend calling Honda's customer service.

Hope all goes well with your car! I have had mine back for a day...

Orient Express 06-06-2007 07:44 AM

The Culprit

Here is the sensor ring, there is also a controller in the back that is replaced as well.

http://www.gjlenterprise.com/CivicSensorring.jpg

Once your dealer has the part, it is a one day in and out. We had to wait about 4 days to get ours fixed, but we got a new Accord during the wait.

When was your car manufactured? Ours was an October 06 car.

Rich 06-06-2007 08:29 AM

Mine is an October 06 car, as well. I am thinking of asking Honda for an extended warranty as I am concerned about potential problems in the future.
Did any of you ask for anything from Honda?

jjvera00 06-06-2007 10:46 AM

At the beginning of May, I bought me a 2007 HCH. I fell in love with it, and was enjoying everything about it. The look was great, the gas mileage, the navigation system, etc. I took it in on May 18th to get fog lights installed, daytime/night mirror w/ compass installed and the windows tinted (all done at the dealership). I picked the car up that Friday night and everything seemed okay. I got, home, did a few things, and then decided to go get something to eat. When I turned on the car, the Check Engine, Check Battery and Check IMA lights came on (the three lights that have been indicated on this post). I called the service tech and he said return to the dealership. I took it in (this was already at 9 pm) and he checked it out, found two errors, and was able to clear them and I went home.

On Saturday morning, everything seemed fine again, no lights, but at noon, the lights came on again. I took it back and they said leave it over the weekend so they can check it over on Monday. They gave me a loaner car (a Honda Accord and they told me to keep all gas receipts). On Tuesday, May 22nd they said they needed to replace the Motor Control Module (MCM). They replaced it, but kept getting the same lights. A week later, on Tuesday May 29th, they said they needed to replace the Resolver Sensor (rotor sensor). They got the part over-night, but need a tool to remove and replace it, which will not be in until this coming Friday.

From reading this thread (and on hybridcars.com) , it seems that I have the same problem. And I am wondering if once everyone got this issue cleared, what is fully resolved. I have only owned this car for now going on 5 weeks. 2 weeks in my possession and 3 weeks at the dealership.

Orient Express 06-06-2007 10:53 AM

This appears to be a component/supplier/design issue, that was corrected in production.

After our repair, the car has been fine, in fact it is a little smoother, and the motor assist transition is less noticeable then before.

It appears that Honda caught the problem and is fixing them as they fail. Since the components in question are part of the emissions and the IMA system, they are already covered by the standard extended warranty that covers those parts.

Rich 06-06-2007 07:36 PM

My dealer diagnosed my car with the dreaded problem many of you have described. The dealer thanked me for my research, so thanks to all of you for your helpful posts.

The part is back-ordered and they hope to have it in a week. It will then take 3-4 days to fix they say. This is the first of these they have seen.

I asked them whether or not Honda has a TSB on this. They said it doesn't but they do have a "Service News Article". I don't understand the difference.

While I am hopeful they will fix the car properly, I am not happy with the situation. I intend to press Honda for extended warranty coverage for the entire car.

They have told me it is okay to drive the car as much as i want.

Orient Express 06-06-2007 08:27 PM

They have told me it is okay to drive the car as much as i want.
Yeah if you don't mind your fuel economy and performance go in the toilet. Tell then that you are scared to let you wife drive it and you want a loaner until it is fixed. The Honda Zone tech guy will cover the loaner, but you gotta press them for it. We got a new accord for a week while they got the parts and fixed the car.

Rich 06-07-2007 03:44 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am now driving a new Civic while my car is repaired. They have the tool, but are still saying 4-5 days for part backorder and 2 days to repair once they have the part.

ChrisG 06-08-2007 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by jjvera00 (Post 128259)
At the beginning of May, I bought me a 2007 HCH. I fell in love with it, and was enjoying everything about it. The look was great, the gas mileage, the navigation system, etc. I took it in on May 18th to get fog lights installed, daytime/night mirror w/ compass installed and the windows tinted (all done at the dealership). I picked the car up that Friday night and everything seemed okay. I got, home, did a few things, and then decided to go get something to eat. When I turned on the car, the Check Engine, Check Battery and Check IMA lights came on (the three lights that have been indicated on this post). I called the service tech and he said return to the dealership. I took it in (this was already at 9 pm) and he checked it out, found two errors, and was able to clear them and I went home.

On Saturday morning, everything seemed fine again, no lights, but at noon, the lights came on again. I took it back and they said leave it over the weekend so they can check it over on Monday. They gave me a loaner car (a Honda Accord and they told me to keep all gas receipts). On Tuesday, May 22nd they said they needed to replace the Motor Control Module (MCM). They replaced it, but kept getting the same lights. A week later, on Tuesday May 29th, they said they needed to replace the Resolver Sensor (rotor sensor). They got the part over-night, but need a tool to remove and replace it, which will not be in until this coming Friday.

From reading this thread (and on hybridcars.com) , it seems that I have the same problem. And I am wondering if once everyone got this issue cleared, what is fully resolved. I have only owned this car for now going on 5 weeks. 2 weeks in my possession and 3 weeks at the dealership.

Welcome to the club dealing with the motor rotor sensor. I had the exact same symptoms you did at about 3000 miles after purchase. After replacing the sensor in February, everything is fine again and I haven't experienced any more problems. That was about 4000 miles ago. As others have stated, this is a known problem for Honda and I have not heard of anyone having any further problems after the sensor was replaced. The sensor deals with controlling the current to the electric motor (IMA). I'm sure one of our on-line experts can explain more about the IMA if you need it. My VIN number last five digits is 04325, manufactured in October 2006. This may give you an idea of where you stand in the manufacturing order with the early number VIN's for 2007s and the problem.

jjvera00 06-08-2007 11:46 AM

How do you interpret the VIN number and manufacture date? My last 5 digits are 11546. Today should be the day my Honda dealership gets the tool to fix the sensor. At least they got the part ready to be replaced. I am really wanting to get this issue resolved. It has been 3 weeks in the shop today. Once it gets fixed, I will keep everyone posted as to how the car works.

ChrisG 06-08-2007 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by jjvera00 (Post 128829)
How do you interpret the VIN number and manufacture date? My last 5 digits are 11546. Today should be the day my Honda dealership gets the tool to fix the sensor. At least they got the part ready to be replaced. I am really wanting to get this issue resolved. It has been 3 weeks in the shop today. Once it gets fixed, I will keep everyone posted as to how the car works.

VIN - according to the service manual

JHMFA362*7S000001

JHM - Manufacturer, Model, Type --- Honda Motor Co. , Honda passenger vehicle
FA3 - Line, Body, Engine Type --- Civic Hybrid / LDA2
6 - Body Type & Transmission Type --- 4 door Sedan / CVT
2 - Vehicle Grade (series) --- MX
* - Check Digit
7 - Model Year --- 2007
S - Factory Code --- Suzuka Factory, Japan
000001 - Serial Number --- USA Models
800001 - Serial Number --- Canada Models

The manufacture date is on the inside driver door next to the tire pressure sticker.

Your serial number is the 11546th to come off the line. Yours is the highest number yet I have heard of with this problem.

The reason it has taken so long is that Honda lends out the tool for the fix and has to wait to get it back from one dealer before they can ship it to another dealer. This is what my dealer told me. So if one dealer just sits on it for awhile, it holds up the process for others.

owlmaster08 06-10-2007 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisG (Post 128852)
The reason it has taken so long is that Honda lends out the tool for the fix and has to wait to get it back from one dealer before they can ship it to another dealer. This is what my dealer told me. So if one dealer just sits on it for awhile, it holds up the process for others.

Perfect...One tool...I'll have to check my VIN, I bought mine the end of December of '06. I am almost up to 4500 miles now.

Rich 06-11-2007 05:28 AM

My dealer tells me they have the tool from Honda but that the part is backordered and they still don't know when it will be in.

owlmaster08 06-11-2007 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 129217)
My dealer tells me they have the tool from Honda but that the part is backordered and they still don't know when it will be in.

Oh, don't worry. All of that part is at the dealerships that are waiting on the tool that your dealer has. j/k, just trying to lighten the atmosphere

Rich 06-11-2007 05:02 PM

The dealer now tells me the car is apart and will be ready late tomorrow afternoon. It seems this is quite an event for the dealership.

jjvera00 06-11-2007 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by owlmaster08 (Post 129341)
Oh, don't worry. All of that part is at the dealerships that are waiting on the tool that your dealer has. j/k, just trying to lighten the atmosphere

Actually, my dealership does have the part and is waiting on the tool.

Rich 06-12-2007 05:05 PM

I picked up my repaired car this afternoon. It runs fine (drove about 20 miles) and the auto-stop seems smoother. The dealer told me that the tools are very expensive and Honda doesn't have enough of them to give one to all the dealers just in case they encounter this problem. I have asked Honda for a free extended warranty. They seem to be considering it. I'll let everyone know if it happens.

jjvera00 06-18-2007 09:36 AM

Just got a call from the dealership. I can pick up my car today. :D

I'll will keep everyone posted on how the car drives and such.

Hey Rich, have you had any problems with your HCH since you got it back?

Rich 06-18-2007 01:02 PM

No, I have had no difficulties. I'd say it drives better from the perspective that the auto-stop works more smoothly, with less jolt when the engine comes back on. It also drives a bit differently with respect to assist/charging functions. Don't know if that's better or worse. I seem to be doing about the same for mileage. I can't say that I am totally confident that everything will be okay in the long run. No basis for that except it just seemed like such a major service on a very new car. The service manager downplayed that by telling me this was nothing compared to what happens to some cars. Can's say that comment inspired confidence, either. Time will tell. Otherwise, I am still very pleased with the car.

I am waiting to hear back from Honda as to whether or not they will extend my warranty coverage.

jjvera00 06-18-2007 06:52 PM

I drove my car on the highway after I got it. Drove around town and put 60 miles on it. Everything seems okay. So far I have notice no difference from before I took it into the shop.

Rich 07-18-2007 03:18 PM

As I mentioned in my earlier posts, I was asking Honda for a free 8 yr/120,000 mile extended warranty for this problem happening to a brand new car with only 2000 miles. They finally honored my request today. This indicates the level of concern and service I expect from companies in situations like this, and I am pleased Honda has met this.

leahbeatle 07-19-2007 07:51 AM

Glad to hear it, Rich- it's nice when these stories have a relatively happy ending.

MNC123 05-09-2009 03:05 PM

I know this post is quite old, but today my 2006 Civic Hybrid did the EXACT thing as the original poster. I was driving and all three lights came on - battery, check engine, and IMA. Then, I shut the car off. I turned it on and only the check engine light came on. We started towards the dealership and all three came on and the IMA stopped working.

Dropped it off at the dealership but it was 3:30 on a Saturday. What are the chances they will tell me it's an entire battery pack when it could just be a sensor? HOw much did changing the sensor cost?

MNC123 05-09-2009 03:29 PM

Oh, and if you want to help me pay for the fix, visit this site:

www.associatedcontent.com/mnc - I get paid per page view for anything I write so if you are really bored and want to read some of my articles go ahead.

iridium130m 05-11-2009 02:39 PM

Hey MNC123--my 07 just did this today with just over 40K on it. Dealership says the 7 year portion of the warrenty is a no go on this and will be 1400 to fix. I've called Honda and started the hell raising process since this is obviously a common issue with the 07. Honda needs to foot a good portion of this bill IMHO.

Mendel Leisk 05-11-2009 03:34 PM

Just a note to the moderators / site maintainers: page one of this thread does not format properly for me, with IE7: I need to scroll to see the end of each line of text.

Harold 05-11-2009 05:05 PM

Yes I get a phisher warning!

iridium130m 05-12-2009 07:21 AM

FYI...i'm keeping up to date of this issue on this thread instead:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...problem-13502/

This appears to be a common issue with the 07's, so anyone having this problem should not have to pay for repair imho.

nikopoq 05-25-2010 12:13 PM

Mine just went and the dealer said it is a $3K job to fix.