Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   LA Times: Fix for Civic hybrids' dying batteries may hurt gas mileage, acceleration (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/la-times-fix-civic-hybrids-dying-batteries-may-hurt-gas-mileage-acceleration-24900/)

rysa4 08-28-2010 05:33 PM

Re: LA Times: Fix for Civic hybrids' dying batteries may hurt gas mileage, accelerati

Originally Posted by amigajoe (Post 226774)
This is for RYSA4 but I don't think I know how to use this forum very well. Have the dealers given you a hard time about you refusing the software update ? Is there a way that you can tell that they didn't do it ? (An obvious way, not a mileage calculation)

My dealer has always been customer service oriented I have found, quite different from many dealers regardless of who the car maker is. No I have never been given a hard time. I do hand them my instructions in writing as far as the hands off the software message. I had my battery pack ( hybrid) replaced last year under warranty and am currently at 52 MPG on my current tank. having driven about 200 miles so far on the tank. As far as " did they do it anyway?" -- good question. Probably when the pack was replaced last year - but my car performs as far as acceleration and battery assist use very similarly to when I bought it - so I doubt I have the current update we are all concerned about.

All I can do is tell them no and insist on it in writing and in their database/print out receipt. If they cannot comply with my wishes then I suppose I would service the vehicle routinely elsewhere-- but I don't really think there is an issue at this point for me.

Lasvegascivix 08-31-2010 12:31 PM

Re: LA Times: Fix for Civic hybrids' dying batteries may hurt gas mileage, accelerati

This is probably why mine wont get better then 32 mpg unless I replace my foot with a feather. The Civic Hybrid is a big waste of money.

Wood511 09-22-2010 10:40 AM

"Just get it fixed under warranty"?

Think again. I tried. My Honda dealer claims that 10-12 recals/regens per 30 mile trip and mileage dropping from 46 to 32 mpg is "within normal limits". No kidding, they look me straight in the eye and say "Sir, that is the normal operation of the vehicle." I have an 06 HCH with 40K miles...well under warranty. And yes, they forced me to accept the software upgrade before they could evaluate the issue. For 4 years, the car ran beautifully...never a hitch. Then this Summer we had a bunch of 100 degree days and the IMA/Battery started bouncing all over the place.

Off the record, the service guy told me that they couldn't touch it for this issue unless American Honda authorized it, and to contact them with the issue. American Honda says that the service dept at my dealership says that the car is operating normally, so there is no problem for them to address. Next stop...my state attorney general's office.

If anyone else wants to join me with some sandwich boards in VA to picket the highway in front of various dealerships, let me know. I'm close to going that route if we don't get some movement on this issue.

I'll be handing out the LA Times article and others that highlight the manner in which Honda has handled this debacle.

It must be nice for sales guys to talk about this great warranty that you never have to honor because you just keep telling the customer that it's not broken...like a child that covers his eyes so no one can see him.

I will never, ever buy another Honda again.

cali06hch 09-22-2010 01:59 PM

I had the same symptoms earlier this year with about 25K on an 2006 HCH and the software update did not resolve the problem. There were no error codes but the dealer agreed things were not right and said it had to be the IMA battery.

It tooks some back-and-forth between the dealer and Honda American but I now have a new IMA battery. After about 3,000 miles I am averaging over 44 mpg, which is right were it was before the battery problem started.

I cannot say enough good things about my local Honda sales and service center. They were $2,000 or more less than all the other dealers in the Bay Area when I purchased it new and they came through for me recently with Honda America. The went to bat for me with my Accord too. One thoroughly satisfied customer.

rysa4 09-22-2010 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by cali06hch (Post 227775)
I had the same symptoms earlier this year with about 25K on an 2006 HCH and the software update did not resolve the problem. There were no error codes but the dealer agreed things were not right and said it had to be the IMA battery.

It tooks some back-and-forth between the dealer and Honda American but I now have a new IMA battery. After about 3,000 miles I am averaging over 44 mpg, which is right were it was before the battery problem started.

I cannot say enough good things about my local Honda sales and service center. They were $2,000 or more less than all the other dealers in the Bay Area when I purchased it new and they came through for me recently with Honda America. The went to bat for me with my Accord too. One thoroughly satisfied customer.

I think my dealership will respond in the same way if the issue arises again. It may be that the more valuable dealers to Honda have a little better sway on these things. My plan is to fend off any dealer involvement with my cars software and just replace the battery again when its time. Hopefully the car will continue to perform as it does today... in frequent maintenance and 50 MPG. I have no issue with a single battery replacement as my only major expense for the next six years or so..but I guess you never know.