Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Lost key (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/lost-key-31584/)

chkuttner 06-24-2018 06:57 AM

Lost key

Just back from a great vacation out of the country, but managed to lose my key ring in the airplane or somewhere. So now my wife and I are sharing one smart key for our 2008 HCH.

Local locksmiths charge about the same as my dealer, who quotes $155 for the key and programming. (And I just discovered they had sent me a $25 off coupon in the mail!). So I may go in tomorrow for what they say is up to a three-hour process.

Alternatively, there are some mail-order outfits that purport to have replacement keys that can be programmed, all for under $40 (I suppose I have to find a locksmith to cut the key).

Getting the key done at my dealer won't bankrupt me--it's a lot less than a day in the hotel where we stayed--but what would YOU do?:(

S Keith 06-24-2018 09:50 AM

Re: Lost key

$155 sound pretty good to me. Not at all uncommon for replacements to run $300-800. $130 sounds better with the coup.

chkuttner 06-24-2018 11:21 AM

Thanks, S Keith. As always, you are the great HCH resource. And $155 minus a $25 coupon is even a better deal.

This is the same dealer that, on a routine oil change, added on replacing the cabin air filter, without my OK, for $70 labor. I will watch them like a hawk....

TysonWheeler 05-18-2020 07:05 AM

Locksmith near me charges much less than the dealer.

chkuttner 05-18-2020 07:57 AM

I should share my happy ending: I had called the hotel in Israel where I’d lost my keys. They couldn’t find them.

A few days later, they called. The keys had fallen between our two beds. They mailed them to me.

I’m glad I delayed replacing them. Now we have Tiles our key rings.

Thanks for the advice, folks!

MatthiasSchmeier 08-05-2020 04:43 AM

That's a great thing! You have got the keys in the end without spending time to find a locksmith near your location.

RobertSteller 06-08-2021 04:51 AM

I also used locksmith acworth ga for getting the new key and they charged reasonable cost for it.