Old 03-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My 2008 HCH Mileage

The G2 Prius are 1.5 ICE.The G3 are 1.8! H

Old 03-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Hyper-Everything'er

Originally Posted by HonkenHyrid
BTW, the "SD" I wrote earlier stood for "South Dakota," not San Diego.
Oh in that case, I'd definitely think about a block heater if only for your own comfort and there were no economy improvements at all.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
Hey Ken:
I have a 06 HCH2 and a 06 Prius and my HCH does better in cold. Prius does not like cold. Big hit on the warm up! I managed 75 mpg over a 35 mile stretch on Sun. with the HCH2 and the temp. where 40 deg.. Not too shabby!!! Speed limit was 45mph and I used C.C 90%
Cheers:
H
I found the fuel economy slightly better in my '07 HCH over my current '09 Prius in the winter months. But the Prius has heat wereas the HCH didn't have any at all. Not once did I or my passengers freeze, or did I have to scrape the inside of the windows on the Prius. I rate the Prius better overall in cold Canadian winters, IMHO.

Last edited by starman; 03-27-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:13 PM

Yes I remember your problems with heat for the cabin, starman. Mine is very comfortable inside up to -20. Never been in much over that! H

Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HonkenHyrid
Awesome! I'm happy to hear that. I guess it would take more fuel to warm up that larger...1.8 is it? At any rate, some of the online Prius communities make it sound like all is rainbow and sunshine for Prius owners, so it's nice to hear they live in the real world too.
The 3rd gen Prius ditched the coolant thermos bottle that the 2nd gens have in favor of an exhaust gas heat recovery system. I hear that the Gen 3 warms up quicker, as a result.

Priuses mileage definitely does get affected by cold weather and other associated weather (rain and snow). There was one big whiner about it on Priuschat who kept whining and arguing w/other people about his winter mileage drop and then finally sold his Gen III in favor of a car that gets worse mileage.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cwerdna
The 3rd gen Prius ditched the coolant thermos bottle that the 2nd gens have in favor of an exhaust gas heat recovery system. I hear that the Gen 3 warms up quicker, as a result. snip...
That does sound good. Its a win - win for better cold weather warm ups and better cabin heat.

A block heater is a must for very cold temps as well. Im talking about -30C/-22F or lower. The car takes blocks to warm up vs. miles. At temps -3C/26F the block heater does warm up a bit but driving a few blocks results in the same heat/mileage. This is according to my scangauge readings.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by starman
A block heater is a must for very cold temps as well. Im talking about -30C/-22F or lower. The car takes blocks to warm up vs. miles. At temps -3C/26F the block heater does warm up a bit but driving a few blocks results in the same heat/mileage. This is according to my scangauge readings.
Some folks on Priuschat uses EBHs even in MUCH warmer temperatures. I've contemplated one but I have very short drives now and don't have a good place to plug in (I live in an apartment). Also, EBHs and installation aren't that cheap.

There's a guy on Priuschat who installs EBHs for free (for fun?, he doesn't supply the part) on Priuses. But, IIRC, he's in the Chicago area...

I block my grille w/pipe insulation in colder weather. That's cheap.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 AM

EBH are fine, but has anyone actually figured out the pay back time? I don't think they are necessary unless you live in very cold climates? -20 and colder. H

Old 03-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
EBH are fine, but has anyone actually figured out the pay back time? I don't think they are necessary unless you live in very cold climates? -20 and colder. H
Here EBH are installed as standard equipment and there are plug-ins at every parking spot. We are all ready for EVs (lots of places to plug them in) but no one wants one.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 PM

I'd love to have EV only for my everyday car. Long distance HCH2 or Prius. H

Quick Reply: My 2008 HCH Mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands