HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

MY HCHII continues to amaze and please

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MY HCHII continues to amaze and please

Getting the brake fluid changed on the 22nd. for $71.00. First time I have got something for less in Canada. Maybe there is hope for this country yet?

I plan to do my own on 05 April 2010 (3rd anniversary) so for about $12...

Old 02-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

I plan to do my own on 05 April 2010 (3rd anniversary) so for about $12...
Be sure to report on how that works out!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

WILCO. I have reviewed the shop manual instructions for same and they are captured here:
MY HCHII continues to amaze and please-19-86-civic-manual.jpg
MY HCHII continues to amaze and please-19-87-civic-manual.jpg
MY HCHII continues to amaze and please-19-88-civic-manual.jpg

My only question in my mind at this point is step 21, "clear the DTC with the HDS, if necessary".

I know when I R&R brake fluid on my 2 old Lincolns, I have to "reset" the brake warning lamp by centering the piston in the master cylinder via use of the brake pedal whilst the ignition switch is "on" (engine off).....

Or conversely, does a Honda dealership only bleed the fluid from the reservoir tank thru the four wheel cylinders versus also the fluid in the servo unit?

Comments?

Old 02-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

It is not as easy as it looks. You will throw DTCs because you have to remove the air box and the MAF, and you have to turn the engine on, so you will get MAF and air temp sensor errors. These are easy to clear assuming you have a scan tester. The bigger issue is making sure you do not get air in the lines when you purge out the old fluid. Because the fluid reservoir is so far back under the cowl, it is difficult to see if you have enough fluid in there as you do the bleed, and It is VERY difficult to get the old master cylinder fluid out of its reservoir, especially if you have big hands. Next you have to cycle the purge several times to get the pedal back, etc.

I am fearless about DIY stuff, but this is one that I would rather pay someone to do. Even the Honda service staff had a difficult time doing this

Old 02-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Gary, thanks for the heads up. Sounds like you speak from experience.

You will throw DTCs because you have to remove the air box and the MAF, and you have to turn the engine on, so you will get MAF and air temp sensor errors. These are easy to clear assuming you have a scan tester.

I have an OBD II tester that I used with my '98 Accord. Would this suffice to zero the codes in this ('07 HCH) car? Or do I have to invest in one of the new style scanners as per the banner ads on this site?

Because the fluid reservoir is so far back under the cowl, it is difficult to see if you have enough fluid in there as you do the bleed.

My concept would have my shop partner be responsible for keeping an eye on (and topping up as required the) reservoir tank. I always have two souls involved with any brake work involving brake fluid.

and It is VERY difficult to get the old master cylinder fluid out of its reservoir, especially if you have big hands

Is this reference the bleed screw (under the servo unit) access space? I'm not familiar with this area as I have not had reason to get into it (yet)....

I am fearless about DIY stuff, but this is one that I would rather pay someone to do. Even the Honda service staff had a difficult time doing this

If the Honda guys in your neck of the woods have a difficult time and Harold "only" paid $CDN 71.00, why do I think that my local Honda dealer will only bleed the 4 lines as per page 19-86?

I guess its time for me to look under the hood and tear out a few parts and see just what the setup is like.

Thanks

Cheers

Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just off the phone with my local Honda dealer.

After I fed the service manager 2IC a whole lot of technical information and asked the same question 3 different ways, he finally relented and gave me the technical bottom line via one of his shop technicians:

"We only bleed the 4 wheel cylinders. We do not bleed any other screw from, what did you call that, the servo unit? No, we only bleed each wheel cylinder as this will change all the fluid as the whole system is interconnected...."

$CDN 68.88 + HST = $CDN 77.84 gets you a simple bleed thru the 4 wheel cylinders at a Honda dealership in Canada.

Comments?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

If the brake bleed is done as per the shop manual, the first thing that is done is to remove all of the old fluid from the master cylinder reservoir, and to do that requires you to open the drain petcock at the bottom of the master cylinder and then activate the ABS pump by turning on the car. This process is dicy because it is easy to drain the reservoir, and then not not put in enough replacement clean fluid thus inducing air into the system. This is what happened to my car. It took the Honda service guys almost all day to get all of the air bled out of the system.

I would guess that your dealer has a suction pump that pulls the old fluid out through the brake lines, which is just as good, and will probably take just as long. They key is not to let the master cylinder reservoir go dry. Because it is so far back in there, and the new fluid is clear, it is very difficult to see the fluid level through the plastic reservoir.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

I would guess that your dealer has a suction pump that pulls the old fluid out through the brake lines, which is just as good, and will probably take just as long. They key is not to let the master cylinder reservoir go dry.

Well using a suction pump (I have one for brakes) at each wheel cylinder makes more sense to me as one does not open up a sealed system (other than at the wheel cylinder bleed screws).

Come April, I'll do the change myself, using my brake bleed vacuum pump to initially evacuate the system prior to all four corners being bled.

That said, my helper will only be responsible for one thing: ensuring that the fluid level is kept to the top of the reservoir tank with new clean fluid whilst the initial draining (via my suction pump at the front left wheel) takes place......

I'll keep you in the loop once this evolution takes place (in April) with results posted here.

Thanks for the heads up and tips.

Cheers

Mike

Old 03-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Enthusiast

My sister-in-law bought a regular Civic a few months after I bought my HCH II. I couldn't convince her to spend the extra money for the hybrid option.

Last month she went on a one-week road trip with my wife in our HCH II to California. She liked it so much more than her Civic. She couldn't believe how quiet it was. She also couldn't believe how much further it went on a tank of gas compared to her Civic.

Now she regrets not having stepped up to get the hybrid option....

Old 04-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have just flushed the brake fluid from my HCH II (3 years old today).

The details can be found here:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3821425/8

Thanks

Cheers

Mike

Quick Reply: MY HCHII continues to amaze and please

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands