Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   New Civic Hybrid Owner (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/new-civic-hybrid-owner-10886/)

Orient Express 11-06-2006 08:10 AM

New Civic Hybrid Owner

I just picked up my wife's 2007 Civic Navi Hybrid from Parker JohnStone Honda in Wilsonville OR. We ordered it in August, but it came in this November. The deal we got was about $100 under 2006 MSRP plus mud flaps and all weather floor mats (the total price was $24,200). We live in the bay area in California, and it was worth the trip up to Oregon to get the car (The one-way airline fare was $130 for the 2 of us). One of the modifications that we have done is to replace the pie pan 15" wheels with 16" Civic wheels. They are about the same outside diameter, weight only 4 pounds more, and gas mileage has not been affected. Needless to say we are very pleased.

http://www.gjlenterprise.com/civicfront.jpg
http://www.gjlenterprise.com/civicrear.jpg

The only issues that we have noticed is that the engine "autostop" feature is a little jerky when it starts back up, and that when the engine goes into the battery charge mode, it also makes a little jerk to the drive line at speed.

The radio/navigation system is very good. We just wish that the unit had bluetooth integration, the radio supported RDS data, and that the voice control prompts supported more of the cars controls. So far we are averaging 44.3 mpg.

EZ2beGreen 11-06-2006 08:36 AM

Re: New Civic Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by Orient Express
IThe only issues that we have noticed is that the engine "autostop" feature is a little jerky when it starts back up, and that when the engine goes into the battery charge mode, it also makes a little jerk to the drive line at speed.

The radio/navigation system is very good. We just wish that the unit had bluetooth integration, the radio supported RDS data, and that the voice control prompts supported more of the cars controls. So far we are averaging 44.3 mpg.

Welcome to GH!

All of your observations are right on. You should be able to modulate the throttle after autostop (or just wait longer after releasing the brake) to reduce the 'rubber banding' on takeoff. The driveline jump is not unusual also... guess I have just gotten used to it.

Bluetooth is something that most of us would like to see (Honda are you listening?).

I have the same color combination as yours, and must say that the 16's off of the EX do make a world of difference, cosmetically speaking! I think it looks really SHARP!

I've got the factory splash guards, all weather mats and exhaust tip too. Those wheels complete the look though - not to unusual since they are factory alloys, but they look good. I want a set for mine too now...

IMHO they do reduce the MPG slightly, but not too signigificantly. One would have to be really trying hard to notice. Many of the folks here though do "really try hard," to get some impressive FE numbers!

At 44MPG out of the gate, your not doing too bad either. Once again welcome and make sure to visit regularly.

Bablateration 11-06-2006 09:16 AM

Enjoy the ride

noflash 11-06-2006 09:56 AM

Very nice; congrats!

exbauer 11-06-2006 12:35 PM

i see you made it over here from 8thgencivic.com. read up on how to maximize the mpg on the car. i have learned some great tips!

(Always) 11-14-2006 01:54 PM

Very cool. Congrats on your new car. Good post, EZ2. :)

JRCaesar 12-08-2006 09:28 AM

New owner here ... Am thinking of replacing the wheels as well, having already added leather and a moonroof to the car.

Did you replace the tires on that vehicle as well? If so, with what?

Thanks!
JRC in the LBC

Mikeyt758 12-08-2006 09:34 AM

Don't you think he had to replace the tires as well because the original are 15" and the one's he has now are 16" rims?

exbauer 12-08-2006 12:02 PM

no, the up sizing in the tires from the 15" hybrid wheels to the 16" EX wheels are right. it will not cause any discrepancies with the odometer or speedometer.

Orient Express 12-08-2006 03:22 PM

Yes, I replaced both the tires and the rims with 16" rims and tires. I bought a brand new set (well, they had 1000 miles on them) of 2006 Honda EX rims and tires from someone on Craigslist.

Interesting thing is that the 16" tires are slightly smaller in diameter than the 15" tires, but this has had the effect of increasing the speedometer accuracy to less than ±.5 mph. This is much better than with the stock 15" tires.

I have validated this accuracy with both a portable GPS system, and by using the hidden menus in the built-in GPS system from the car.

Click here to see the specifications of the stock Hybrid vs the stock EX tires

Gas mileage is still very good, 51 mpg tanks are still easy to do, so I recommend the swap.