Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Only Canadians get Low Windshield Washer Level Indicator? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/only-canadians-get-low-windshield-washer-level-indicator-12549/)

noflash 03-06-2007 07:13 AM

Only Canadians get Low Windshield Washer Level Indicator?

I recently ran out of washer fluid. I got no indicator. I refilled. It works fine.

I check the owners manual. I am shocked. Can this be true?

WTF?

msantos 03-06-2007 08:37 AM

Re: Only Canadians get Low Windshield Washer Level Indicator?

Originally Posted by noflash (Post 114585)
I recently ran out of washer fluid. I got no indicator. I refilled. It works fine.

I check the owners manual. I am shocked. Can this be true?

WTF?

Darn. I guess I have to check that.

Since I periodically check my washer fluid, I may just go through life without knowing that I even have that indicator. Talk about YET another un-used feature... And here I am begging for a trunk release button on the key fob. :cry:

Cheers;

MSantos

gumby 03-06-2007 08:19 PM

It's true, guys. I read it right in the manual.
Another thing, the Canadian model's reservoir is more than twice the size of the US version's. More usage in the snow???

EDIT: Well, almost twice the size: US 2.6 US qt (2.5 l), Canada 4.8 US qt (4.5 l).

noflash 03-07-2007 06:43 AM

Freakin' weak.

msantos 03-07-2007 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by gumby (Post 114734)
It's true, guys. I read it right in the manual.
Another thing, the Canadian model's reservoir is more than twice the size of the US version's. More usage in the snow???

EDIT: Well, almost twice the size: US 2.6 US qt (2.5 l), Canada 4.8 US qt (4.5 l).

NO wonder my mileage is so bad ;)

All this time, and it had nothing to do with the cold weather at all. It was just an extra load of fluids that was holding us back! LOL :D

Seriously... yes, it kind of makes sense for the extra fluid capacity. Its easy to go through A LOT the stuff when you have snow on the ground for more than 5 months per year. The sand and salt that they typically spread on the streets makes for a messy brown mud when mixed with the snow that can only be wipped off with enough of the fluid.

In some cases we'll go through 4.5 liters in less than a week.

Cheers;

MSantos

gumby 03-07-2007 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by msantos (Post 114777)
NO wonder my mileage is so bad ;)
In some cases we'll go through 4.5 liters in less than a week.

Funny. Drain the tank down for better MPG!

Wow on the usage, though. I can't tell you the last time I even CHECKED let alone filled up my washer fluid. I guess Honda has figured out a need.

Sad, though, that you get a sensor and light and we don't. Although THAT would be a least-used feature then, of my car. :) Even more so than my seldom-used back seat.

AJNadershahi 03-07-2007 11:04 PM

Any one know the part numbers for the fluid level sensor and how to add the feature to the dash lights?

I would imagine the car is already pre-wired just the same as it is for fog lights.

msantos 03-08-2007 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by AJNadershahi (Post 114925)
Any one know the part numbers for the fluid level sensor and how to add the feature to the dash lights?

I would imagine the car is already pre-wired just the same as it is for fog lights.

I can find out what the Canadian parts #'s are. However, before I do that you should check if your reservoir can accept the sensor at all.

The sensor inserts itself into the reservoir from the bottom. I believe that if you look on the underside of the reservior you should see a plug or cap that can be removed or popped out. When this happens the fluid will obviously come out.:omg:

If you don't see this cap or plug then you are out of luck. If you still want this feature then you should also get the reservoir that accommodates the sensor.
Anyhow, the sensor does plug into an available 2 pin connector (If the nearby harness does not have one then you will need to get that too). Then the fluid sensor will be inserted into the reservoir from the bottom up until it locks.

Anyway, since I haven't yet seen the actual US version of the reservoir I am actually curious about whether it actually even accommodates the fluid level sensor at all. Please let us know what you see.

Cheers;

MSantos

Flash 03-10-2007 07:51 AM

A side note here is about my Block Heater or those in use up North. I realized that in this car through its first winter I have never had frozen windshield washer squirters or a frozen washer fluid reservoir bottle. Occasionally in some previous cars the squirters would freeze due to the small diameter of the tube feeding them. With the Block Heater warming the engine block there is enough residual heat in the engine bay to not allow the squirter lines to freeze and this is a fantastic side-feature of the Block Heater.

Has anyone in a super-cold environment with a Block Heater experienced frozen washer lines?

msantos 03-10-2007 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Flash (Post 115299)
Has anyone in a super-cold environment with a Block Heater experienced frozen washer lines?

I don't think I've experienced that yet on my HCH-2. I agree that a working block heater will keep the engine compartment warmer than the surrounding air outside the car. So that is clearly an advantage worth mentioning.

But also, when the low temps are around say, -30F or -40F, I find there is no need to use the washer fluid at all. At those temps, there's barely any humidity in the air and you've got solid ice to ride on so the windshield stays clean during the entire time. In fact I dread higher temps because the car becomes a mess (dirty) as a result of the melting snow and ice.

The other thing to keep in mind is the water dillution of the washer fluid. If the washer fluid temp rating is poor then it will likely freeze. The fluid I use is good down to -15F if (and only IF) I do not dilute it with any water. But then again, as I mentioned, over here the fluid is not really needed until you get to higher temps (around 6-40F or so).

Cheers;

MSantos