HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Poll: What's your best tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Poll: What's your best tank?

Wow. Amazing...

Old 07-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
The stated capacity in my manual is 12.4 gallons. Some HCHII's have different stated capacities. This capacity refers to the level where a normal pump would first shut off all the way down to empty. There is still a lot of gas available from the time the low fuel light comes on. There is still about 2 gallons left after the last bar disappears. Now, after the pump stops, you can still get about 1.9 gallons more in the tank. This gives a total capacity 14.3 gallons. I'm certainly not condoning topping off, but I have done it a few times.
I can't deny your experience but here is mine over 46 tanks.

I usually drive till all the fuel bars disappear.
Then I pump gas till the pump shuts off and I add no more.
When I do this it usually puts in about 10.2 gallons.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/.../car/1900.html

That is why I remain surprised that you got 14.3 gallons into the tank.

Last edited by kenny; 07-28-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by kenny
I can't deny your experience but here is mine over 46 tanks.

I usually drive till all the fuel bars disappear.
Then I pump gas till the pump shuts off and I add no more.
That usually puts in about 10.4 gallons.

That is why I remain surprised that you got 14.3 gallons into the tank.
There is nothing about your results that contradict mine. However, I used about 2 gallons of fuel after the last bar disappeared. In addition, I added 1.9 gallons after the pump first shut off. That makes a difference of 3.9 gallons. Add that to your 10.4 gallons and you get 14.3 gallons.

Just remember, there is about two gallons of gas left after that last bar disappears.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jess
toast64...amazing, way to go. What was your mpg for that tank?

I, too, have issues uploading pics. I was able to do it once and forgot how I was able to do it. I always get an "invalid file" error message.
Jess, the mpg was on display was 63.8 as I recall. As Kite says, you have to work at it and be very careful where you drive and how you drive.

I used some instructions I found in the HiHy section to upload images, but when I follow them I get a small image with url text on either side. I can't size it once in the post. Not sure why it's not working.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Best for me was 53.3 MPG, mileage wise.

Furthest tank was 608 miles at 52.7 MPG.

I had my best long segment last week. I filled up in West Virginia, drove 75 miles into PA, and got 64MPG for the segment.

I'll never know what my last tank would have been.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:01 PM

Still making progress on this very special tank! I'm up to 61.2 with 526 miles. I never thought I'd ever hit 60 for a full tank, but it looks like a certainty now. I'll fill up when the fuel light comes on... in about 150 miles. Not exactly "Kenny" numbers, but at least I'm closer (and I still drive about 60 mph, too!).

I don't exactly know what is causing the dramatic increase (lifetime avg over 50+ tanks = 52.2). I'm a little more cautious. I've been lucky (no traffic jams, temps in the perfect 80 degree range). My wife hasn't touched the car . I'm maybe a little slower than normal (but not Kenny's 53 mph!). Very little truck drafting. Only thing that seems truly "different" is that I'm playing with the gas pedal more. I mean if my instant meter drops below 50, I pull off the pedal and then reapply (like trying to go full electric at low speeds). Perhaps it's the CVT going into a different gear ratio... or maybe it causes a little more electric boost (though not evident by "assist" bars), but it seems to get the mpg back up and I can usually maintain the higher speeds this way.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:05 PM

Way to go.
A good tank is thrilling!

My current tank is terrible.
I had to lend my car to someone, and when I got it back it was at 47 MPG.
Still have 3/4 left of a tank so I may be able to recover.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 AM

Kenny, I didn't think your car could even display a "4" in the first digit!!!

With 3/4 of a tank to go, I know you'll recover and probably blow well past my meager 61.3 (on my display this morning)... but for the time being, I'm thrilled and honored that my dash has a higher reading than yours!!!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Over 1000 miles on a tank! That is incredible. Nice work. To be honest I would not thought it was possible to reasonably drive that far on a tank.

-dan

Old 08-01-2008, 10:54 PM

SUCCESS!!!! It took 57 tanks to do it, but my first-ever 60+ MPG tank is in the recordbooks. Finished with 61.7 MPG over 624 miles.

Quick Reply: Poll: What's your best tank?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands